Join Us

We are 219,622 members in 84 forums discussing 161,607 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Good News for the ILC girls

Forum: ILC (Invasive Lobular Carcinoma) — Just diagnosed, in treatment, or finished treatment for ILC.

Posted on: Jun 18, 2007 02:58PM

scarednancy wrote:

Poor chemotherapy response does not always mean poor breast cancer prognosis
Women with one type of advanced breast cancer who do not seem to benefit from pre-surgical chemotherapy may still fare better in the long-term than women with a more common form of the disease who do respond to chemotherapy, results of a US study indicate.
"This is a striking finding, the first to find that in a type of breast cancer, response to chemotherapy seems to have little to do with long-term treatment success," explained lead researcher Dr Massimo Cristofanilli from the University of Texas.

The findings suggest that the second most common type of advanced breast cancer, called invasive lobular cancer, which develops in the glands that make breast milk, may be a different kind of disease to invasive ductal cancer, the most common form of advanced breast cancer, which develops in the milk ducts between the lobules and the nipple.

Dr Cristofanilli and his team conducted a study of six clinical trials involving more than 1000 women with invasive lobular or ductal cancer who were treated with chemotherapy to reduce their tumours before undergoing surgery.

They found that only 3% of lobular cancer patients had a beneficial response to chemotherapy compared with 15% of ductal cancer patients.

However, 5 years after treatment, breast cancer had not returned in 80% of women with lobular cancer, compared with 66% of ductal cancer patients. Furthermore, survival rates after five years were 91% for the lobular cancer patients compared with 72% in women with ductal cancer.

"We always have thought that a poor response to chemotherapy always indicated a worse prognosis, but that is not true for every woman with breast cancer," said Dr Cristofanilli. "In fact, this study suggests women with invasive lobular carcinoma have a different kind of disease, and that they may benefit from a treatment that is more adequately tailored to the biology of their cancer."

He added that further research is now needed to clarify the unique biological features of invasive lobular cancer so that the most effective treatment can be identified and applied to women with the disease.

The research is published in the Journal of Clinical Oncology. Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (11 results)

Posts 1 - 11 (11 total)

Jun 19, 2007 03:34PM mkl48 wrote:

This is interesting, but not new. It is the reason some oncs are using hormonals neo- adjuvantly. We should all be asking if we were told the modest reponse rate in IDC. That older info coupled with the new "private report" from ASCO should give rise to some real questioning. Medical oncologists measure response rate differently than real people.

Jun 19, 2007 06:41PM Horratoniu wrote:

Post deleted by bco-administrator

Jun 19, 2007 09:07PM Angel42 wrote:

Moderators notified re last post and subject line changed back to original.
"I am not mean either"

Jun 27, 2007 08:41PM LauraGTO wrote:

Nancy -
Thanks for sharing that with us.
With hope there are possibilities. Dx 7/2005, ILC, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 29, 2007 10:11AM rosieposie wrote:

Very interesting although I have never considered my ILC to be 'advanced' had 6 rounds of A & C followed by a Mastectomy, although the cancer appeared not to be there a small area of active cancer was found, so I made the right choice! I was diagnosed Dec 04 and had my surgery July 05. followed by 15 rads. Now on tamoxifen. Still well and fit [touch wood!]. Rosemary x

rosemary Dx 12/21/2004, ILC, 5cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 30, 2007 07:52PM huthrejkfr wrote:

Jul 4, 2007 05:50AM SexySpears wrote:

Jul 4, 2007 09:04AM Ontario wrote:

Moderators notified

Wanda Dx 12/12/2005, IDC, 3cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 0/26 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 4, 2007 12:53PM shrink wrote:

Don't we have enough to deal with? Most of us are just treading water, We don't need this sh--!

Dx 5/23/2007, IBC, 6cm+, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, 21/21 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jul 4, 2007 02:27PM rosieposie wrote:

I notified the moderators too ~ Rosemary

rosemary Dx 12/21/2004, ILC, 5cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 10, 2007 09:11AM tmn58 wrote:

This is very interesting. Does anyone know what is best tailored biologically to ILC?

Page 1 of 1 (11 results)