Join Us

We are 220,444 members in 84 forums discussing 161,934 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: MRI guided Biopsy

Forum: ILC (Invasive Lobular Carcinoma) — Just diagnosed, in treatment, or finished treatment for ILC.

Posted on: Aug 16, 2007 03:07PM

dobie wrote:

I was dx after lumpectomy on 7/26 (for DCIS) with a 2mm pleomorphic ILC in right breast. This was hidden amongst calcifications found on mammogram. I am having a MRI on both breasts on monday 8/20. Do you know if they will do a biopsy then and there if they see anything suspicious or is it the whole waiting game thing again? Although I am 55 I was told I have dense breasts and I also read that some evidence suggests dense breasts may be additional risk for cancer (well, not that it makes a big difference now). Pretty worried by now that both breasts are full of the evil stuff. It's been well over two months since first dx, and I still don't know what's going on. I guess that's par for the course in breast cancer land.

Dobie-March 2012 LCIS rt breast Pleomorphic. Dx 5/2012, ILC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 6/1/2012 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Page 1 of 1 (8 results)

Posts 1 - 8 (8 total)

Aug 17, 2007 02:55AM SusanB12 wrote:

dobie,

I'm about at the same point as you very confused and waiting for some kind of treatment. I was diagnosed with ILC in my left breast on 6/27th. I had my MRI on July 12th
which will show what is going on in both breasts. Then because they found 2 suspicious areas on the MRI in my right breast they had to schedule a MRI guided biopsy on that side. That did not happen until August 2nd. The biopsy came back that it was radial scars benign growth that might be a precursor to cancer in the future. But it took about a month to get those tests done and the results. You might not need a biopsy if the MRI doesn't suggest one. A doctor friend of the family told me the MRI biopsy is a relatively new procedure and they don't do it everywhere so that is why I had to wait too. My breasts were dense too. The MRI is a better test than the mammogram or ultrasound.

Susan

Aug 17, 2007 05:47AM dobie wrote:

Susan- There is no doubt in my mind that MRI is better detecting ILC or any BC for that matter than mammogram especially since my ILC was an "incidental finding" and did not show on mammogram. I did ask and was told that my facility has MRI biopsy capability just not sure if they will do it the same day if necessary. Probably not. Don't know. Good luck to you. It sure does get confusing and frustrating doesn't it?

Dobie-March 2012 LCIS rt breast Pleomorphic. Dx 5/2012, ILC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 6/1/2012 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Aug 27, 2007 12:37PM dobie wrote:

After working myself up and convincing myself that both breasts were full of cancer, the MRI results showed no suspicious areas in either breast. What a great relief. Since the ILC was an incidental finding after a lumpectomy for what was originally Dx as DCIS I still need to get a sentinel node biopsy. That is scheduled 9/6. Not worried since ILC was small. I will then get set up for radiation therapy. Despite all the sad tales here, sometimes things actually do turn out better than you expect.

Aug 27, 2007 01:12PM biondi wrote:

I would suggest that you find a facility that does DIGITAL MAMOS. THEY READ THROUGH DENSE BREAST TISSUE BETTER. MORE ACCURATE. MRI'S GIVE MANY FALSE READING'S, LEADING TO UNNECESSARY BIOPS. MY ILC SHOWED ON REGULAR MAMOS, BACKED UP BY ULTRA SOUND. BUT FOR DENSE TISSUE, DIGITAL MAMO'S ARE THE WAY OF THE FUTURE. I WOULD DEFINITELY GET ONE. TO LATE FOR ME NOW..NO MORE BOOBIES..BILATERAL.

Aug 28, 2007 02:38AM dobie wrote:

I have had digital mammograms before the MRI. THey are better than the standard mammos but my readings indicate that MRis are being used more for high-risk patients. I too have read that MRIs are not very specific leading to more unecessary biopsies. But they are very selective picking up over 90% of cancer. Specificity is also dependent on the facility and the radiologist experience. Some are just better than others. In my case no unessesary biopsy and increased peace of mind for now. I will be getting MRIs every 6 months. Thanks for your concern.

Mar 20, 2008 09:02PM jsmith7243 wrote:

I just had a MRI guided biopsy on 3-19-2008 on both breasts I can say it took 2-1/2 hours which was very uncomfortable and I hope I don't ever have to do that again.  I am still sore the 2nd day suppose to get the results by 3-21.  I have been very fortunate from the time I did my mamo until the mri biopsy has only been a month with all the other test in between.  At first my surgeon thought it was nothing but after taking a ultrasound needle sample the cells came back with ductal carcinoma in sita so on to the MRI and then the MRI guided biopsy.  The waiting is the most frustrating part for me

May 31, 2008 12:35PM Mykidsmom wrote:

jsmith - Since you wrote in March, you must have your results by now. What have you learned. I am scheduled for an US-guided bx this week, but if they cannot find the lesions identified by the MRI, I will have to go for a MRI-guided bx. It is the waiting between steps that is killing me. I can't really focus on anything but finding out what I have to deal with! So I am searching the internet for others that understand. Thanks for listening.

Prophylactic Bilateral Mastectomy w/ Tissue Expanders - 12/08 Exchange 04/09 Dx 8/25/2008, LCIS, Stage 0

Jun 1, 2008 05:28PM Gitane wrote:

Mykidsmom,
Waiting is the pits. We are lucky to have a medical system that has all this whiz bang stuff, but we have to wait to get to it, wait to get the results, etc. It is so hard when so much hangs in the balance. My experience with MRI guided biopsy was that it was a benign lesion. I knew I had cancer in my left breast already, but something had lit up on MRI in the right breast, too. They couldn't find it with ultrasound, so I had to come back for a MRI guided biopsy. As I said, it turned out not to be cancerous, so sometimes things can turn out O.K. I will say, though, that I went to the biopsy alone and wished I had been there with someone to sit with me, then drive me home. It wasn't that I couldn't do it, it just would have been better. Here's hoping B9 for you, too.

Page 1 of 1 (8 results)