Join Us

We are 220,346 members in 84 forums discussing 161,892 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: chemo and alcohol

Forum: ILC (Invasive Lobular Carcinoma) — Just diagnosed, in treatment, or finished treatment for ILC.

Posted on: Mar 29, 2008 10:36PM

bean4865 wrote:

Anybody out there enjoy a beer while in treatment. I don't know why but a beer taste great now. I thought once you were in chemo it would taste terrible and you would not want any. I am just the opposite...weird!! Also I am eating like a horse. People prepared me before chemo, even told me I should gain some weight before because I would lose it on chemo...well not me. I gained 5 pounds. I have one more treatment to go...thank God!!!!

Kathleen Browning Dx 10/25/2007, ILC, 2cm, Grade 1, 0/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Mar 30, 2008 09:09AM LauraGTO wrote:

I personally don't think "a beer" will do much harm. I had an occasional glass of wine during my tx's. As for the eating...mine fluctuated between eating everything in sight and not wanting to eat anything.

1 more treatment! That's great. Maybe you can workout once you're feeling better...that would speed up the weight loss.

Hang in here!

With hope there are possibilities. Dx 7/2005, ILC, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 30, 2008 09:33AM LorenaB wrote:

I had my first chemo tx on Thursday, and the instructions they sent me home with say "a glass of wine or equivalent alcoholic beverage is ok," just don't drink to excess, or something like that.  I definitely haven't been in the mood yet (I think it would worsen my headachiness etc.) but I expect that next week when I'm feeling better I'll have a beer or a glass of wine w/ dinner.  Whatever tastes good and gets you through this easier, that's my belief!

Dx 12/20/2007, IDC, 1cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 1/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 31, 2008 06:39PM HeatherBLocklear wrote:

Hi Bean,

Both my breast surgeon and oncologist told me that a drink or two is fine (I even asked straight out about Martinis -- my favorite indulgence after good French wine), and they gave the green light. In any case, I don't think anyone feels good enough during chemo to go on a wild party bender, so go ahead and enjoy your beer or two.

Cheers,

Annie

Annie Camel Tail Dx 2/23/2008, IDC, Stage IV, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Apr 1, 2008 08:39PM Lynn12 wrote:

My onc said that if I feel up to having a glass of wine, then I should go for it, just not in excess!

Congrats on 1 more tx!

Lynn Dx 11/7/2006, ILC, 6cm+, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 5, 2008 08:30AM figsgirls wrote:

Yup, I  had one or two during tx. Mostly, though, I didn't feel like drinking. How nice to hear that a beer still tastes good to youSmile.

I agree, I can't imagine anyone going on a bender during chemo. Imagine how crappy you would feel the next day!!!

I gained 25 pounds on chemo. I think it was the steroids. They make you hungry and puffy! Plus, you just don't have the same energy so it's hard to work out like you did pre-chemo. But the good news is, it will start coming off almost immediately after you finish tx.

Good luck and hang in there.

Diag. 4/11/07 ILC 4.3cm 1/14 nodes ER+/PR+ Her2-. Lump., bilat.mast. 4AC 12 Taxol, Tamox. Implant recon.

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)