Join Us

We are 220,345 members in 84 forums discussing 161,892 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Please explain "thickening"

Forum: ILC (Invasive Lobular Carcinoma) — Just diagnosed, in treatment, or finished treatment for ILC.

Posted on: Apr 30, 2008 11:55PM

Aimers wrote:

Could someone please explain in more detail what a "thickening" feels like?

Is it something you would feel externally with your fingers when doing a self-exam? ... Or is it more of a sensation you feel internally within your breast?

Thank you for helping me understand...

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)

Posts 1 - 3 (3 total)

May 1, 2008 12:44AM LindaLou53 wrote:

Hi Aimers,

In my case, my lobular cancer went undetected by mammogram, ultrasound and physical palpation for many years.  When it was finally discovered, it was by palpation by the nurse practitioner.  When she pointed it out to me and asked me to feel it also, I could feel a large area just below my nipple that felt "firmer", was "flat" not lumpy.  Once I knew it was there, I could almost see a faint outline of the mass in the mirror when I raised my arms above my head.  It did not feel like a standard round tumor mass, but more like a "pancake" type area of tissue that was just not as soft and pliable as normal breast tissue.  This is what they mean by "thickening" with lobular cancer.  The cells tend to grow in "rows" and spread out rather than form a more nodular mass. 

Life is not measured by how many breaths we take...but by the moments that take our breath away! ...I am a 14/9 yr survivor of 2 Primary BCs, 23/23 Positive Nodes (Zometa x 5 years) Started Paloma-3 Clinical Trial 4-14-14 Dx 7/14/2000, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 2/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/11/2000 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Chemotherapy 8/30/2000 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 2/26/2001 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 5/10/2001 Dx 11/21/2005, ILC, 5cm, Stage IIIC, Grade 1, 23/23 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 12/5/2005 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right Chemotherapy 12/23/2005 Taxotere (docetaxel), Xeloda (capecitabine) Hormonal Therapy 4/7/2006 Aromasin (exemestane) Radiation Therapy 4/7/2006 Breast, Lymph nodes Dx 3/21/2014, ILC, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 4/14/2014 Faslodex (fulvestrant)

May 1, 2008 07:02AM FloridaLady wrote:

A friend who has lobular, told be she leaned forward and hung her breast forward and when she felt them they felt in her words "crunchy" like a lot of little tiny beads were in her breast.

Flalady

trip neg stageIV spread to IBC (2X) & 7 recur's, Treat Alt & Conv

May 1, 2008 07:33AM mtbmom wrote:

I have to go for a biopsy in 2 wks for my L breast- R was diagnosed with LCIS in Feb.  At my post op mammo & us, the tech said something about thickening in my left breast-I really didn't know what she meant.  My mom had ILc & lcis.  You guys have been so great in helping me understand thickening and how it pertains to ILC. When I go for the biopsy on the 13th I now have some additional things to bring up!

Dx 2/18/2008, LCIS, 2cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes, ER+/PR+

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)