Join Us

We are 220,346 members in 84 forums discussing 161,892 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: mastectomy with immediate reconstruction

Forum: ILC (Invasive Lobular Carcinoma) — Just diagnosed, in treatment, or finished treatment for ILC.

Posted on: May 3, 2008 09:11PM

pasha wrote:

I was just wondering how long did everyone need to take their pain meds after the surgery? My surgery was this past Tuesday night and I could not imagine not taking my meds yet. Am I being a big baby or is this normal? Please let me know. Thanks

Dx 2/28/2008, ILC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

May 3, 2008 09:21PM Sandra1957 wrote:

pasha ~ You're not a big baby, take them as long as you need them so that you have the energy for healing.  I didn't have immediate reconstruction, but I will say that expander surgery was way harder than the bilateral one was and I was quite uncomfortable.  I can't imagine doing it all at the same time. 

I had the same dx as yours only two years prior, and also had a bilateral.  Do you know yet if you're doing chemo or rads??  Just curious. 

Best to you,

lini

I'm always steppin' in and out of crap!

May 3, 2008 09:44PM pasha wrote:

I'm not sure about follow up after. They told me that if i had a mastectomy that chemo probably wouldn't be needed. Thanks for your input . I 'm just feeling kind of blue today. I looked at my chest and it loked like a bad horror movie prop. I have just about every color of the rainbow on it along with dried blood and the doctors markings. I guess  just needed a little cheer up

Dx 2/28/2008, ILC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 4, 2008 12:47PM catbert4209 wrote:

Pasha--Hugs!!!  I know that your chest area looks pretty beat up right now, but it will get better!  Take this recovery one day at a time, and concentrate on getting better and better each day.

I quit taking the prescription pain meds after I got home from the hospital (third day following bilat surgery), but continued to take Extra-strength Tylenol for the next week or so.  Pain interferes with the healing process, so if you still need the pain meds, keep taking them!  

One thing that helped is that I took lots and lots of naps!   You need plenty of rest to recover.  I also pampered myself and let my friends and husband "do for me" around the house.  

You are going to feel better soon.  Be kind to yourself and give yourself plenty of time to heal!

Hugs!!!!

Cat 

Catbert--A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will irritate enough people to make it worth the effort! (^..^) Dx 8/20/2007, DCIS, 2cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

May 4, 2008 01:16PM VBG wrote:

Hi Pasha,

I too had surgery on Tuesday; bi lat immediate recon and oophectomy,  I did not have any type of flap...just used my own tissue with expanders. 

I was so sick on the meds in the hospital that I did not go home until Friday evening.  I am now on a high dose of ibuprofen 4 times a day and that is okay for me.  I have taken vicodine at night in order to sleep better.

I have been surprised that I am not in more pain.  I actually think my lumpectomy was more painful!  I had 2 lymph nodes removed with my lumpectomy but not with my bi lat, perhaps that is making a difference as well.

I know everyone's body is different and responds differently.  I am just so happy to not be nauseous and dizzy anymore and to be at home that pain is no longer a significant issue for me!

Do what you need to do, believe me if I needed it I would be taking as much vicodine as I could!

Wishing you a good recovery!

Valerie

recurrence 12/07 IDC/ILC stage 1 grade 1 6mm; 4/29/08 bilat/recon/ooph chemo starts 6/11/08 Dx 5/21/2006, ILC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 14, 2008 10:45PM - edited May 14, 2008 10:47PM by neeliecar

i had my surgery last September, with immediate reconstruction.  I had my final implants put in during February and I am still on oxycontin and neurontin (nerve pain med).  My oncologist believes that I have nerve endings caught in my scar tissue causing my pain which is there 24/7 even with the pain meds.  I can't get off the oxycontin by myself so they are weining me down by reducing my dosages every two weeks, but they won't take me off until this pain is gone or until they can figure out what is causing it.  I can't have an MRI until 4 months out from my implant surgery which is next month.  Don't be in a hurry to stop meds if you still have pain or you won't be able to function normally.  Eileen Carnein

Eileen (neeliecar) - Don't plan for tomorrow, live for today! Dx 7/20/2007, ILC, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/12 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)