Join Us

We are 220,346 members in 84 forums discussing 161,892 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: hooked on oxycontin - please help

Forum: ILC (Invasive Lobular Carcinoma) — Just diagnosed, in treatment, or finished treatment for ILC.

Posted on: May 14, 2008 07:41PM

neeliecar wrote:

Hi everyone, I have been on oxycontin since September and I tried to drop my morning dose and had serious withdrawal.  My oncologist has since dropped my dosage to 10mg in the am and 20 mg in the pm and I was doing 20 mg for both.  Do you know if this will wein me down without serious withdrawal symtoms.  I am still have alot of pain from my double mas but they think i have nerves imbedded in scar tissue.  Cant do an MRI until June (have to wait 4 months out from final implant surgery).  I am tired of being on these painkillers and need to get off somehow.  Any ideas, anyone had this problem before?  Thanks for anything you can help me with. Eileen Carnein (Tired of painkillers for 9 months now. )

Eileen (neeliecar) - Don't plan for tomorrow, live for today! Dx 7/20/2007, ILC, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/12 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

May 14, 2008 08:04PM saluki wrote:

Hi Neeliecar.  I'm sorry you are in so much pain and are having problems weening.

I am all too familiar with issues of pain control since I have Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD).  Having said that I am a great believer in 

Pain Management clinics/departments-most hospitals have them. See if you can get a referral. In my case I use a Physiatrist--Thats a Doctor who specializes in Pain control and physical rehabilitation/body mechanics.

My Doctor weened me down with something called Suboxone--Doctors have to be certified to do it but if you are having a problem weening it is very effective and will help with pain as well.  If you don't get results

weening with your oncologist I would definitely investigate that route.

Hope you get relief soon

Susie, member since Jan. 2003 Dx 12/12/2002, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 14, 2008 08:07PM wishiwere wrote:

Dear, never been where you are, but you seriously need some help now to deal with this before it gets worse.  Does the onco know what you are feeling about them, that you are addicted?  Are you sure it's pain, or withdrawal that makes you 'think' you are in pain?  Have you tried to do motrin before doing the oxy to see if you can dull the pain at least to then deal with the withdrawal?  What happens when you don't take the oxy?

wishiwere~ Path read stage 1C- 1st Primary was IDC w/DCIS 1.4 cm, ER/PR+ & HER2- Dx 9/21/2007, ILC, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 14, 2008 08:08PM wishiwere wrote:

Great advice, saluki! :D

wishiwere~ Path read stage 1C- 1st Primary was IDC w/DCIS 1.4 cm, ER/PR+ & HER2- Dx 9/21/2007, ILC, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 15, 2008 09:22PM SuzieM wrote:

I take Oxycodon (this is the old-fashioned one, not the time-release drug Oxycontin) and I have always worried about becoming addicted. However, my oncologist has assured me repeatedly this is very unlikely. There have been times that I worried about it, though, and have felt like I was going through withdrawal if I did not take my pain meds. I had a remarkable experience recently though. For the first time since I started taking AI drugs, I had a couple of days with almost no pain. And I was very happy to discover that I suddenly felt like I could give up the pain meds. If the freedom from pain had lasted, I think I would have pretty much effortlessly stopped the meds, so in my case I think that my urge to keep taking pain medication simply comes from being in pain. I still feel a bit uneasy about taking pain medication, but I think for some of us it is the way to make it possible to get the treatment we need.

May 18, 2008 04:32PM SLH wrote:

Hi Eileen,

When diagnosed with cancer, we all have the adrenaline rush to get us over the immediate hurdles--mastectomies, radiation, chemo.  But then there's long-term pain and endless worry that is even harder to deal with.

I had a bilateral with expanders.  Six months later I was a little more comfortable when they were exchanged to saline implants, but I still had pain.  2 1/2 yrs later I had them removed.

It's not a perfect solution, but being in pain robs you of too much living. Is your pain caused by the implants?

sally 

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)