Log in to post a reply
Apr 2, 2017 03:56PM
My BS gave me 4 choices - lumpectomy and radiation, mastectomy of the affected breast, bilateral mastectomy, or lumpectomy and reduction with reduction of the healthy breast. He said chances of recurrence were the same whichever I chose. He did say if I chose mastectomy he would do a bilateral, as I am size 40G. My first thought was lumpectomy with reduction, but after a lot of thought, i went with BMX on 3/8/17. My reasoning was --
1. My mother had breast cancer and a radical mastectomy at 54, and a recurrence and another radical at 62.
2. I did the gene test, and have a mutation on BARD1, which is indicative of increased risk of breast cancer, but they don't know how much of an increase. (So not a lot of help there)
3. I'm 66, and if I had a recurrence 5-10 years down the road, I'd be that much older, and maybe have a more difficult time with the surgery.
4. I'm a worrier.
5. After a breast MRI, a bunch of false positives, and a callback for an MRI biopsy which showed nothing malignant (other than the original tumor) but some precancerous changes in the healthy breast, I wanted nothing to do with any more MRIs.
6. Least important, but significant, I have back and neck problems, and grooves in my shoulders from strapping up those 40Gs.
In the end, the only real negative with my decision was the fact that I'm an accountant, work for my husband, and it's tax season and I'm missing so much work.
Got the last two drains out Friday, and am MUCH more comfortable. Tissue expanders are weird, but not too bad so far. First fill next week.
My radiologist told me he was sure I had IDC, and did the biopsy on 12/3. Pathologist confirmed, and I found a BS. Didn't get in to see him until early January, and he told me to take my time deciding, and call him when I had. He set me up an appointment with a plastic surgeon, and the PS explained tissue expanders to me. Because of 2 caesareans with a vertical cut of the abdomen, and a subsequent hysterectomy, he said he'd have to use the lattisimus dorsi for reconstruction. I told him I'd think about it and let him know.
About a month later I went back to the PS and asked him why he needed to use the lastissimus flap, and he said it was because of my size. I told him I had considered no reconstruction and asked him why he couldn't use just implants, and he said the result would be better with the flap. If I wasn't so overweight, I'd wear a 6 or 8, so I'm going with no flap. I just wanted something, because I knew I wouldn't like prosthetics.
BMX on 3/8, and the labs came back ILC instead of IDC. That was a surprise. The MO has requested an Oncotype score, and a CT scan to rule out chemo, so more waiting for results.
Take your time deciding if the BS says there's no rush, and good luck.
Diagnosed at 66, OncotypeDx 24, I think because although I was 100% ER+, I was very weakly PR+ . BARD1 mutation, mother had breast cancer twice.
12/5/2016, ILC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH)
3/8/2017 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement
5/19/2017 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)