We are 172,155 members in 80 forums discussing 133,499 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: ILC (Invasive Lobular Carcinoma) → Topic: lobular breast cancer and alcohol

Topic: lobular breast cancer and alcohol

Forum: ILC (Invasive Lobular Carcinoma) — Just diagnosed, in treatment, or finished treatment for ILC.

Posted on: Sep 8, 2010 10:00PM

lamuso wrote:

Did anyone read the article about Lobular breast cancer and alcohol?  Makes me feel as though I should never touch a drink again.  The article doesn't talk about recurrance though.  Any thoughts on this, ladies?

Leslie Dx 5/29/2008, ILC, 5cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 1/13 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 2 (32 results)

Posts 1 - 30 (32 total)

Sep 9, 2010 01:36AM LoriL wrote:

Hmmm, interesting! I drank waaayyyy too much alcohol when I was in my 20's and early 30's. I haven't had a drop in 10 years, and don't plan to. The article makes me wonder if my past is coming back to haunt me.....

Bilateral Mastectomy without reconstruction 5/28/09; Oncotype Dx 16- no chemo; Close margins so 6 weeks of rads followed by Tamoxifen for 1.5 years (discontinued due to side effects) Dx 4/22/2009, ILC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 9, 2010 04:14AM TokyoSing wrote:

Read the same article.  Would think that to avoid a recurrence, we'd have to stay off that nice glass of wine with dinner... for how long?

Sep 9, 2010 09:48AM DFC1994 wrote:

where can I read the article?

Thanks

Dee ,right breast DCIs,Left ILC,2 tumors stage 1 Dx 10/19/2009, ILC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+

Sep 9, 2010 10:28AM AnacortesGirl wrote:

You can find the article at http://www.breastcancer.org/risk/new_research/20100824b.jsp

I noticed the same thing -- it didn't talk about recurrence.  It was just an observational study so there is a lot of data that wasn't captured.  I thought the greatest take-away was that 7 or more drinks a week doubled the chances of getting lobular cancer.  But would these same women have gotten cancer anyway?  It was interesting but I don't feel it gave me much that applied to me.  I still drink but not anywhere close to 7 a week.

Christy - BRCA2+; mets to bones and liver, Taxol/Sutent -> AC, BMX - no recon, Rads, Carboplatin, BSO, Veliparib trial (8/30/13-3/13/14) Dx 7/21/2009, ILC, 5cm, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, 14/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 9/1/2010 Aromasin (exemestane) Hormonal Therapy 2/1/2011 Dx 9/9/2012, ILC, Stage IV, Grade 3, ER+/PR-, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 9/9/2012 Femara (letrozole) Chemotherapy 3/29/2013 Xeloda (capecitabine) Hormonal Therapy 8/16/2013 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Chemotherapy 3/20/2014 Carboplatin (Paraplatin)

Sep 9, 2010 02:29PM jan508 wrote:

I saw this article too. I have a glass of red wine everynight with dinner BUT my mom was an alcoholic.  Any connection ya think?

Jan508

Dx 8/6/2010, ILC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 9, 2010 03:46PM Kathy044 wrote:

My take-away from from this is that if you happen to have ILC, suppressing estrogen is a particularly good thing.

Dx 2009, ILC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/28/2009 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary Chemotherapy 12/15/2009 Other Radiation Therapy 5/1/2010 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/3/2010 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 10, 2010 03:29PM tandnmom wrote:

Kaiser published this study December 09 which bummed me out.  I mean, I like to enjoy a glass of wine every so often - a few times a week.  But this study claims it increases my chance of recurrence by 30%!  Geez!  Not good.  http://xnet.kp.org/newscenter/pressreleases/nat/2009/121009breastcancer.html

Dx 6/1/2009, ILC, 2cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 1, 6/17 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 11, 2010 02:59PM wallycat wrote:

I still don't think they know... I skimmed the link and did not pull the full study, but do they say anything about comparing no-alcohol consuming women and see if they would get ANY cancer or would it be IDC but not ILC.  

My onco said that ILC tends to be slower growing than IDC and, at least at the 10 year mark, ILC has a higher survival.  So I ask...if I did not drink, is my genetic/epi-genetic make up such that I would have gotten ANY breast cancer if I abstained or NO cancer...if I were going to get any cancer, then ILC seems the better one....but could they say that no alcohol = no breast cancer of any kind...I don't think they can (even excluding BRCA mutations).

My twin sister drank and is cancer free (knock on wood).  

My DH's ex wife was an alcoholic (sober now for decades) and is cancer free.

My other friend was on HRT AND drinks wine/brandy/etc. and is cancer free.....

I enjoy wine with  dinner and I feel like cancer has taken enough from me.   I always ask myself if I gave up things I enjoyed and it came back would I be angrier than if I did what I enjoyed and it came back anyway....I pick the latter.

Dx 4/07 1 month before turning 50; ILC 1.8cm, ER+/PR+, HER2 neg., Stage 1, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes. Onco score 20, Bilateral Mast., tamoxifen 3-1/2 years, arimidex-completed 4/20/2012

Sep 11, 2010 10:01PM IllinoisNancy wrote:

I'm with you Wallycat.  I think we need to enjoy life too.  I am a weekend drinker of maybe 2-6 drinks and I'm not giving it up.  My OncotypeDX said my chances of getting it back in the 10 years following dx was only 6% and my doctor didn't say alcohol would effect that percentage.  I know it's a crapshoot but I really enjoys drinking socially with my family and friends.

OncotypeDX was 9, Pleomorphic ILC, Breast cancer twice, 10/06 and 10/10,

Sep 11, 2010 11:01PM mcgaffey wrote:

My mother may have had ILC since I have it. But I am not sure. She lost one breast. Ten years later the second one. She lived to be 98 and died of heart failure and really suffered at the end from losing all her lymph nodes in her arms due to the way they did surgery so many years ago. Lots of swelling. She drank for years one huge glass of wine a night or sometimes a whiskey sour. My sister and I think she lived to 98 because she had her cocktails in the evening. Who knows. She didn't die from cancer but had it and survived.

Sep 12, 2010 12:02AM gale1525 wrote:

I don't drink and I have ILC with a nice fat 11cm tumor so who knows?

Sep 12, 2010 11:13AM lamuso wrote:

Wallycat and Illnoisnancy.... I'm so glad to hear you will not let breast cancer stop you from enjoying a glass of wine or cocktail. I guess I'm on board with you.  You are right Wallycat...suppose we give up everything we enjoy for the sake of health and then we still get the recurrance.  I want to enjoy my life and I'm also a weekend drinker with family and friends.  It is reasurring to hear others feel the same way.  A few times I've had well meaning friends comment about the link of alcohol to breast cancer (while we are out enjoying a drink) and it really takes the enjoyment out of the evening.  So glad to you gals to relate to.

Leslie Dx 5/29/2008, ILC, 5cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 1/13 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 12, 2010 06:59PM nada63 wrote:

"...if you eat vegetables and get up at 5.00 A.M. to go jogging becouse you feel better when you do, that is terrific. If you are just trying not do die, however, you are going to be damned angry when you discover you are going to die anyway. That is when you wish you had slept late and eaten an ice cream cone. The point is to find a life that is enjoyable to you and live that life. It may be longer or it may be shorter than someone else s life, but if it is not a life you enjoy, you can be sure it will seem longer. Better to feel that our lives are over much too quickly. The important thing, as joseph Campbell says is to follow your bliss.....lately there have been articles about women who drink having more breast cancer. But you have to look at the life style of these women - their emotional life, nutrition and childbearing history - not just their drinking habits. You also have to look at drinking in a cultural context. In many cultures  where people live to be a hundred, there is significant alcohol consumption. Alcohol is part of their society, part of their enjoyment of life, but it is not abused or misused....

From my favorite  author Dr. Bernie Siegel/Peace, Love and Healing

Diagnosis: 9/2007, ILC, 2cm, Grade 2, 2/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 13, 2010 10:41AM wallycat wrote:

I think of Julia Child and her experiences in France and they drank (she and her hubby) and enjoyed the food (butter and all of it) ...she got breast cancer at 51 or 52 and had a radical mastectomy on that side--no other treatment.  She died 1 week shy of 93.

Yes, there are no guarantees on how long we have even if we do it all correctly.

Dx 4/07 1 month before turning 50; ILC 1.8cm, ER+/PR+, HER2 neg., Stage 1, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes. Onco score 20, Bilateral Mast., tamoxifen 3-1/2 years, arimidex-completed 4/20/2012

Sep 13, 2010 01:06PM Carole66 wrote:

I read that same article and have not changed my mind on drinking. It's one thing I enjoy. I do not smoke or do drugs. Going through chemo and bilateral mastectomy with reconstruction certainly has not been pleasant so I am going to enjoy my few cocktails a week and keep enjoying life.

Dx 3/5/2010, 4cm, Stage IIA, ER+

Sep 13, 2010 10:11PM ktn wrote:

I have posted to these type of questions before and haven't changed my thinking. When I was diagnosed I asked my bc surgeon "do I need to give up wine?" He said absolutely not. I have a busy socail life and alcohol is involved but since college I was always the lightweight! Friends could drink so much more than me! Yet I had BC! My oncologist is from Italy and tells me about wine regions as I take my trip there in a few weeks! Being on birth control pills for 20+ years will always make me think was the culprit. I will do what I can to stay healthy but will enjoy my life too. CHEERS!!!!!

Dx 6/18/2008, ILC, 5cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 9/24 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 16, 2010 11:29AM rosieposie wrote:

Hi!

Its been a while since I last posted ~ thought there had to be a thread on the article when I read it. As you can see I was dx with ILC 21Dec 2004 and will be 5 years out of treatment this November. I hadnt drank for years and years and when I did it was never much- the odd party situation in my teens and twenties! There certainly is a link with many serious illnesses with heavy drinking but I do have the odd glass of wine now and with my surgeons blessing. All in moderation I say, we have to live our lives! Im with you girls! so CHEERS too! x

PS Im a vegetarian too and breast fed........ 

rosemary Dx 12/21/2004, ILC, 5cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 18, 2010 09:20AM rosieposie wrote:

Hey Sherri! really good to see you here too - I often wonder what has happened to the other girls I would chat too. we MUST keep in touch! I dont often visit BC sites like I used to but still receive the updates by email. I am enjoying life and I hope you are too! Some days its like it was a dream and other times - especially October- its like it was yesterday. My Sister was found to have Cancer in one lobe of her Thyroid last November but thankfully is A OK. brings it home though. Keep on Keeping on!!

Rosemary. 

rosemary Dx 12/21/2004, ILC, 5cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 19, 2010 01:22AM Rbaston0912 wrote:

There is really a big impact if you take some alcohol.

Sep 22, 2010 04:04PM IllinoisNancy wrote:

Hey Rbaston....what is that supposed to mean?  Do you mean we could get really happy if we drink?  I hate vague comments like yours.

Oct 1, 2010 02:52AM hlya wrote:

I doubt whether alcohol is the cause of BC.  Of course all the unhealthy lifestyle would not be good to your immune system,  but it doesn't sound very convinced that alcohol is the trigger.  Another study also shows that alcohol could help to digest and absorb Tamoxifen.

Anyway, trying to get a more healty lifestyle always helps. 

Oct 7, 2010 02:12PM geek wrote:

My mom was just DX with ILC.  She had IDC 10 years ago with a lumpectomy.  She's going to have a MX on one breast Monday.  I wrote my father and asked how is was and all.  He responded and added that he was concerned about my alcohol consumption.  I avereage about a drink a day and I'm 25 (almost 26!).  I have mixed feeling about his concerns.  I too, don't want to live in fear and enjoy life.  Everything in moderation, right?  I mean, many things cause cancer and I feel we can't escape them all. 

Oct 7, 2010 03:14PM ck55 wrote:

I have questions about this issue as well.(mostly because I want to defend my wine habit)

What I wonder is, since it seems to be an estrogen/alcohol connection that is the problem, if we are taking an AI which depletes our estrogen, does alcohol pose the same threat? I happen to know for a fact that my serum estradiol is low (7) because I am using an estring and my onc wanted to make sure it did not effect my systemic estrogen levels so I am having my blood tested every 6 - 8 weeks for a while. 

My other thought is has there every been a study done to show an increase of BC, of any kind,  in women who are/were known alcoholics. Don't you think that wouldn't be too hard to assess?

Just wondering, Cyndi

P.S. I am not giving up my wine. I have given up too much already. So there.

DX 11/9/06 9cm ILC Stage 3A Mastectomy ER+ PR+ HR- 2/16 Nodes DD AC/Taxol Radiation

Oct 22, 2010 10:38PM Cal-Gal wrote:

I noticed most of you ILC women are ER and or PR + 

I am ER/PR 0% negative--is this not a common thing?

Dx 12/8/2008, ILC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Oct 22, 2010 11:00PM momof2greatkids wrote:

Hey Cal-gal! (I am a former cal-gal) I noticed this too (the er/pr pos of the others. I am er/pr negative, her2 pos, have ILC, and have never been much of a drinker. (Maybe 10 drinks a year).

I do have "dense breasts" and am not so happy that i was never given the information that some cancers do not show up on mammos  - so why have they been zapping us all these years? Had i known US would have detected it, I would have paid (in case insurance did not), but at least I would have had the option. My 5cm tumor did not show up on mammo the DAY OF dx, but US did show it. 

6 TCH, 12/10 BMX, Jan to Mar 2011 rads, now Herceptin for 1 year. Dx 8/2010, ILC, 5cm, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Oct 23, 2010 01:37AM suzieq60 wrote:

momof2greatkids: Sorry to hear you are joining this rare group. You probably know by now that us ILC HER2+ve girls are few and far between. Lobular cancer is so sneaky. My tumour was highly hormone receptive so I am on Arimidex after going through chemo and radiation. Herceptin is a wonder drug, so I look forward to hearing how much your tumour shrinks as you go through treatment (I read your post on another thread).

Sue

2nd diagnosis October 2010 - IDC 5.8mm node negative - missed on mammogram in October 2009 Dx 10/13/2009, ILC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Oct 23, 2010 08:43PM Ronda50 wrote:

I have never been a drinker altho in the last few years I have drank a very small glass of wime every now and then. I was dx'd in Jan09 with ILC that had spread to my bones. I certainly don't think the drinking did it! Altho that would be my luck - at 48 - have a glass of wine and get bc. LOL My tumor was so small that they had a hard time finding it and probably would have overlooked it had I not had a ct scan for pain in my side at the same time as the mamo. I am stage iv and plan to continue to enjoy my glass of wine every now and again - I want to enjoy life as long as I have it!!
Dx 1/30/2009, LCIS, Stage IV, mets, ER+, HER2+

Oct 23, 2010 08:52PM 300beacon wrote:

I am convinced drinking caused my breast cancer. I was a heavy drinker for 30 years. Every study I read indicated the risk of Invasive lobular carcinoma is higher when you drink. I have completely stopped drinking just so I won't have a new ILC in the opposite breast.  I have dense breasts also. A very bad thing when you add drinking to the mix.

300beacon Dx 2/5/2010, ILC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 28, 2011 12:26PM IllinoisNancy wrote:

Hi,

Well....I think the study was right.  I had ILC in 2006 and treated it with lump, rads and Tamoxifen for four years.  Oncotype said I only had a 6% chance of getting it back.  Here I am with a local recurrence in the same breast and the only thing I can think is the weekend drinks did it.  I would have 3 -4 drinks on a weekend and it must have brought it back.  I'm done with alcohol now and I will certainly miss it.  How sad that BC takes all our fun away from us.

Jan 28, 2011 12:36PM Ellie1959 wrote:

I think I'm with you on the drinking thing - I was mostly a social drinker but I lost my husband 6 years ago and drank to excess too often. My mom is a survivor of Lobular Cancer - 17 years now and she is and was a drinker. For the most part I have lost my taste for booze - a little wine once in a while - or coconut rum - not to much though. I think you must have a predisposition to BC though because believe me, I know lots of drinkers who don't get it...........,Undecided
Dx 12/27/2005, ILC, 5cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 2/12 nodes, ER+, HER2-

Page 1 of 2 (32 results)