We are 196,503 members in 81 forums discussing 144,770 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: ILC (Invasive Lobular Carcinoma) → Topic: Newly Diagnosed and Scared

Topic: Newly Diagnosed and Scared

Forum: ILC (Invasive Lobular Carcinoma) — Just diagnosed, in treatment, or finished treatment for ILC.

Posted on: Aug 10, 2017 03:34AM

Lisa1230 wrote:

I have never had an abnormal mammogram until 7/18/17. I have had an ultrasound, needle biopsy and another mammogram. My head is swirling with all the information and doctor appointments. I am scheduled for a total left mastectomy 8/16/17, a Sentinel Biopsy will be performed just prior to my masectomy. An Axilliary Dissection may be needed as well.

Not knowing which stage my can wr is until 1 week after surgery is beyond overwhelming.

I am trying hard to be positive.

I am on this board so I don't feel alone.

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Aug 10, 2017 04:51AM Moderators wrote:

Hi Lucy-

We know how scary and overwhelming the first days and weeks after diagnosis can be! You are certainly not alone. It might help to know what to expect in the coming days and weeks, in regards to tests, surgery, treatment, etc. We have some helpful links for the newly diagnosed here: https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/5/topics/.... And our surgical forum might be helpful in answering any questions or concerns you might have about your mastectomy: https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/91.

Try to take it one day at a time, and know that we're here to support you through this!

The Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Aug 10, 2017 08:10PM EastcoastTS wrote:

Lucy:

You are not alone -- and you've come to a great place for support, encouragement and understanding. Sorry you are here.

Ask questions, no matter how minor.

You have a big learning curve, but the more you learn (about your diagnosis and BC) the better it gets. I'm new to this as well but promise that is true.

HUGS and warm thoughts.

Dx@ 49. Oncotype: 14, BRCA 1/2- Dx 1/4/2017, ILC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/27/2017 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 9/7/2017 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Aug 11, 2017 03:17AM - edited Aug 11, 2017 03:20AM by Almer

Hi Lucy!

I started responding to you but my iPad acted up. Hopefully this will work.

What helped me, being recently diagnosed, is to remind myself I'm not alone in this and kept myself busy and among people I love who are positive. I played upbeat music, watched TV shows that we're encouraging, and most of all relied on my faith.

Try not to research prognosis too much as that is very unique to every individual and some of the research on the internet is outdated.

All the very best to you. Stay in touch! Remember this never forget to look up!

Dx 6/28/2017, ILC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, 16/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/28/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 6/28/2017 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 8/7/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary Chemotherapy 8/31/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Aug 11, 2017 03:50AM Almer wrote:

Lucy, one question: who is recommending a mastectomy? That's no longer the recommendation unless the tumor is very large. There's no improvement in outcomes between lumpectomy and mastectomy. Just curious as it might be worth a second opinion. :

Dx 6/28/2017, ILC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, 16/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/28/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 6/28/2017 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 8/7/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary Chemotherapy 8/31/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Aug 15, 2017 03:38PM beach2beach wrote:

Hi Lucy,

Sorry you are here but welcome. It is a scary time. I went from a July 27th diagnosis to an 8/7 mastectomy. A mastectomy was my choice as I didn't think I could do the 6mth to 6mth anxiety route of Mri mammo soon.

What have you found out so far from your biopsy? Type of cancer etc. maybe then more people can help you as you go through this.

Dx 7/28/2017, LCIS/DCIS/ILC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/8/2017 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Hormonal Therapy 9/12/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)