We are 197,880 members in 81 forums discussing 145,402 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: ILC (Invasive Lobular Carcinoma) → Topic: ILC newly diagnosed less than 1 week ago

Topic: ILC newly diagnosed less than 1 week ago

Forum: ILC (Invasive Lobular Carcinoma) — Just diagnosed, in treatment, or finished treatment for ILC.

Posted on: Oct 10, 2017 09:15PM

Qwnlynne wrote:

So I was just diagnosed with invasive lobular carcinoma they said the small tumor and they're sending me for an MRI . Back in February of this year my MRI found a spot and they told me I had intraductal papilloma with atypical. I then had a complete hysterectomy started on Arimidex went for a follow-up visit my medical oncologist thought she felt a lump at the two I went back for another mammogram and ultrasound the ultrasound found something at 10 . Went for a biopsy came back with invasive lobular carcinoma options were lumpectomy was 6 weeks radiation or bilateral mastectomy. Prior to making a decision however they want to send me for an MRI. At first I was going to do the mastectomy then I thought maybe I'll do the lumpectomy with radiation. Then read that if you have radiation on your breast and you have to have a mastectomy later on you are not a candidate for reconstruction. My surgeon also was concerned that due to my weight plastic surgeons would not actually do a reconstruction on me so if I did have a mastectomy I would have to stay that way. I'm very confused as to what to do who to speak to and how to make this decision

Dx 10/5/2017, ILC, Left, 4cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, ER+/PR-

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Oct 10, 2017 11:28PM Moderators wrote:

Hi Qwnlynne-

We want to welcome you to our community, although we're so sorry you find yourself here. For help with your surgical questions, you might find our surgery forum helpful. There's lot of great info and many supportive members there who can offer their insight: https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/91. You can also try the reconstruction forum for information regarding reconstruction and radiation: https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44.

We know it's a lot to process, but we're all here to help!

The Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Oct 10, 2017 11:45PM Mucki1991 wrote:

I'm sorry you find yourself here but welcome. Not sure where you are but I can clarify a mastectomy does not mean that no radiation is a def. Radiation does not mean no reconstruction. All cases are different but there are plenty of us here that are going through both of those. Sending you best wishes for treatment and recovery.

Dx 5/5/2017, ILC/IDC/IDC: Papillary, Left, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 3/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 7/13/2017 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 8/22/2017 AC + T (Taxol)

Oct 14, 2017 08:31PM Qwnlynne wrote:

Thank you for your respnoses

Dx 10/5/2017, ILC, Left, 4cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, ER+/PR-

Oct 14, 2017 09:15PM EastcoastTS wrote:

Qwnlynne:

Have you spoken to a plastic surgeon? Sorry if I'm confusing anything but the breast surgeon will have lots of ideas about surgery/surgery but they really can't speak to the plastics portion. Before my BMX, I "interviewed" 3 plastic surgeons. I was very small and lumpectomy would have eradicated my breast, pretty much. No one recommended for cosmetic reasons. That's the other thing to remember: plastics all about cosmetic. Your breast surgeon all about cancer. You have to manage the info you receive from both sides and chose best course for YOU.

Good luck and take care!

Dx@ 49. Oncotype: 14, BRCA 1/2- Dx 1/4/2017, ILC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/26/2017 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 9/7/2017 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Oct 16, 2017 05:08PM claireinaz wrote:

I had a lumpectomy, then chemo, then radiation. I waited a year for my skin to "recover" (I had already consulted with a plastic surgeon right after rads) and had my BMX 13 months after rads ended. So it isn't true that if you have rads first, you can't have reconstruction.

However, I was small breasted, and didn't want to go any bigger, so my skin didn't need to stretch or anything. I had the BMX and immediate 1x recon at the same time--no expanders, etc.

Hope that helps.

Please know that ILC has a tendency to be multi-focal--meaning it has a bit higher incidence to recur or be in both breasts, so that is why I decided I wanted all my tissue out at the same time. I had 5 mammos over 5 years and not one of them caught any problems.

Claire in AZ

9/29/11 ILC, 2 c. stage II grade 1, ER/PR+ HER2-, 6/11 nodes, lumpectomy, DDAC x 4, Taxol x 12, 33 rads, Tamoxifen/arimidex/aromasin, BMX/immed recon 7/3/13 "In the midst of winter, I found in me an invincible summer.” Albert Camus

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)