We are 211,327 members in 82 forums discussing 151,425 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: many questions

Forum: ILC (Invasive Lobular Carcinoma) — Just diagnosed, in treatment, or finished treatment for ILC.

Posted on: Mar 13, 2018 11:58AM

kimberlyribin wrote:

I am new this this site, and I really need some input. In February I had the lump removed along with 6 lymph nodes. Went in for post surgery check up and was told the tumor was larger than thought from what MRI showed and the was cancer found in one of the nodes. Doctor told me I have two options. Go back in and remove more of the margins and have an MRI every year for the rest of my life, or two, remove the right breast now. I really would like to know if there are others out there facing, or have faced similar situations...

Page 1 of 1 (6 results)

Posts 1 - 6 (6 total)

Mar 13, 2018 12:47PM Runrcrb wrote:

Kimberlyribin,

There is more information you should ask for - onco type testing (I think that’s the right phrase) can tell you about the likelihood of recurrence based on your specific tumor characteristics.

Quiz your breast surgeon about more lumpectomy vs mastectomy and don’t stop till you understand his or her thoughts. And if dr won’t answer your concerns find a new surgeon.

Talk to a medical oncologist re chemo or AI treatments

Talk to a radiation oncologist re radiation.

Talk to a plastic surgeon about reconstruction options.

I know it’s a pain to see all these people but you need information before you can make decisions

I was diagnosed in late June and knew by mid July that i needed a mastectomy. It was another 3 weeks before I’d decided my surgical plan.

Good luck

Dx 6/27/2016, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 4/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 6/27/2016, ILC/IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 4/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/21/2016 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 10/31/2016 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 2/8/2017 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 4/23/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole), Aromasin (exemestane) Surgery 12/12/2017 Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap

Mar 13, 2018 01:09PM Moderators wrote:

Hi kimberly and welcome to Breastcancer.org,

We're so sorry to hear of your diagnosis, but we're really glad you found us. As you can already see, our Community is an incredible resource full of members always willing to help, offer advice, and support you through your diagnosis and treatment.

Runrcrb is correct -- you need more information about your diagnosis so you can make decisions along with your treatment team. Can you let us know what type of cancer, stage, grade, etc. you're dealing with? There's some good information on the pathology of your cancer on the main Breastcancer.org site's pages on Your Diagnosis, as well as a page on Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Your Diagnosis that can help!

Also, as Runrcrb mentioned, there's good information on the Oncotype DX test to determine recurrence risk based on your pathology.

We look forward to hearing more from you soon!

--The Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Mar 19, 2018 01:06PM Momine wrote:

Unfortunately, this is all too common with ILC. They can't image the stuff properly half the time. In my case, I was spared having to make the decision you are facing, because the tumor was too large for a lumpectomy. In your shoes, I would probably just get the breast removed, but I tend to be a bit hardcore that way.

Dx 6/1/2011, ILC, 5cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 7/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 6/20/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 9/13/2011 Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy 1/9/2012 Surgery 3/8/2012 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 4/1/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Mar 19, 2018 02:24PM beach2beach wrote:

They havent given you all the information? Hormonal status, need for chemo etc. As one of the OP said, OncotypeDX gives some much needed info. I had a 9 mm area, node negative but I chose to have a mastectomy right away, on both. That's my nature to go all the way like that. I just couldnt see putting myself through alternating mri and 6mths later mammo/sono.

Dx 7/28/2017, LCIS/DCIS/ILC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/8/2017 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Hormonal Therapy 9/12/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Mar 19, 2018 06:45PM gkbuser wrote:

Fairly new to the group so I am sorry if I am posting something I shouldn't. I am 1 year out from classic ILC multi focal (10 the largest was 1cm) but all right in the same area. I had lumpectomy with SNB - 2 sentinel nodes removed both negative. Completed radiation now on zoladex and an AI. grade was 1. onc DX was 9. highly ER + , PR+ and HER2 negative. I am treated at a large university cancer center. I was very confident with my choice of treatment at the time, but I have to admit after seeing some of the experiences here I am starting to wonder if I was aggressive enough. My breast surgeon who seemed knowledgeable about lobular. She said that lobular if caught early (and I know that is the caveat here) had as good a prognosis - if not better than IDC. So, what are the facts on early stage ILC compared to early stage IDC? Does anyone know?

Dx 10/24/2016, LCIS/ILC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/10/2016 Lumpectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole), Zoladex (goserelin) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast

Mar 19, 2018 07:28PM - edited Mar 19, 2018 07:30PM by Georgia1

Hi GK. While IDC and ILC are different in some ways, there is no difference in mortality rates or recurrence according to my BS, MO, RO and others. So like you I chose lumpectomy + radiation and feel just fine about it after consults with Georgetown, Johns Hopkins and MD Anderson. Happy to chat more if you want to PM me but I think we are basically in the same boat as our ER+ IDC sisters, taking anti-hormone pills and hoping for the best.

Kimberlyribin, choosing lumpectomy vs masectomy is a very personal choice depending on a number of factors that others have laid out. Please let us know how we can help.

Cancer touched my breast so I kicked its ass. Dx 9/3/2017, ILC/IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 10/10/2017, LCIS, Right, 0/1 nodes Surgery 10/10/2017 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 11/27/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 1/2/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Page 1 of 1 (6 results)