Join Us

We are 220,346 members in 84 forums discussing 161,892 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: CDH1 germline mutation and ILC

Forum: ILC (Invasive Lobular Carcinoma) — Just diagnosed, in treatment, or finished treatment for ILC.

Posted on: May 25, 2018 04:16AM

Amelia01 wrote:

Hello fellow ILCs. I don't know how diffuse genetic screening is, but I was just diagnosed with the rare CDH1 mutation (hence the ILC) and wonder if it is really rare or if people just aren't getting tested. This is an interesting study.

"Our series of CDH1 mutation carriers is the largest to date and demonstrates that LBC might be the first manifestation of HDGC. A personal or family history of multiple LBCs at a young age, even without DGC, should prompt CDH1 mutation screening. It is paramount to identify mutation carriers early, so that they can benefit from prophylactic gastrectomy before they develop symptomatic, highly lethal DGC. We recommend a revision of the HDGC-defining criteria and propose for consideration the name 'Hereditary Diffuse Gastric and Lobular Breast Cancer' instead of HDGC.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23709761/ "

Scary stuff but could be life saving for those afflicted.

Dx 10/17/2017, ILC/IDC, Left, 6cm+, 17/21 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/6/2017 Chemotherapy Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Taxol (paclitaxel)

Page 1 of 1 (6 results)

Posts 1 - 6 (6 total)

May 26, 2018 02:48PM lekker wrote:

Sorry for the CDH1 mutation diagnosis. Are you working with a licensed genetic counselor to figure out your next steps?

I was tested for CDH1 (and 39 other genes - all negative for me) mutations over 5 years ago. I didn’t fit the classic hereditary diffuse gastric cancer pattern but CDH1 was included in the Broca panel I did after testing negative for BRCA mutations. I haven’t heard of automatic testing for ILC patients (the way they are automatically testing colon polyps for microsatellite instability in the hopes of identifying more cases of Lynch Syndrome) but it’s good that it’s being considered.

Colorectal carcinoma in situ January 2000 (age 30), and now this... Dx 7/2012, ILC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/6/2012 Lumpectomy: Right Surgery 10/3/2012 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 3/12/2013 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Surgery 4/11/2013 Prophylactic ovary removal

Aug 24, 2018 11:18AM Soccermom4force wrote:

Amelia01, I have a VUS on CDH1. I'm a stage 2B survivor whose pathology showed IDC and ILC. Did genetic testing in 2002 for BRCA (- result) DX in 2004, retested (-again) and tested again in 2014 when VUS was identified.

I know how concerned you are the recommendations for prophylactic gastrectomy had me rattled.

Hoping you have a good support system and the care you choose secures you a healthy future

" I expect to pass through life but once. If therefore,there be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do to any fellow human being, let me do it now, as I shall not pass this way again." Dx 12/2/2004, LCIS/DCIS/IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/21 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH)

Aug 25, 2018 02:35AM Meow13 wrote:

soccermom4force, I had 1 ilc and 1idc tumors. I wonder if I should ask about this mutation. I have heard of the recommendation of stomach removal sounds really drastic to me.

Sep 6, 2018 09:16AM RyansMomma wrote:

Hiya! Since I am young, I was just diagnosed at 19. (I'll be 20 in November.) Should I get tested for the CDH1 gene mutation? I also had a lot of stomach issues a few years before diagnosis.

Dx at 19 years old. I am currently 20. I am a mother of a 6 year old cat named Ryan. He is my little angel! Dx 9/4/2018, ILC, Both breasts, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 9/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 9/4/2018 Lymph node removal: Left, Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right Hormonal Therapy 9/5/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Sep 6, 2018 11:29AM lekker wrote:

Ryansmomma - because of your age, I would think you’d qualify for a referral to speak with a Licensed Genetic Counselor. The counselor can explain all of the different things they think you should be tested for, as well as potential actions you can take if you find out you carry a harmful mutation. I’m sorry you find yourself here. Please keep us posted.

Colorectal carcinoma in situ January 2000 (age 30), and now this... Dx 7/2012, ILC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/6/2012 Lumpectomy: Right Surgery 10/3/2012 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 3/12/2013 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Surgery 4/11/2013 Prophylactic ovary removal

Sep 6, 2018 01:30PM RyansMomma wrote:

Lekker: Thank you for the heads up. I'll speak with someone about it soon and will keep you updated on what happens. :)

Dx at 19 years old. I am currently 20. I am a mother of a 6 year old cat named Ryan. He is my little angel! Dx 9/4/2018, ILC, Both breasts, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 9/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 9/4/2018 Lymph node removal: Left, Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right Hormonal Therapy 9/5/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Page 1 of 1 (6 results)