Join Us

We are 220,346 members in 84 forums discussing 161,892 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: completely overwhelmed-help

Forum: ILC (Invasive Lobular Carcinoma) — Just diagnosed, in treatment, or finished treatment for ILC.

Posted on: Aug 29, 2018 01:28PM

Dani444 wrote:

Hope this is the right place to post this. I just got the call from my breast surgeon about my MRI results. I feel like I am back at square one and could use some help working through this. I understand ultimately it is me that will make the decision, but I need to talk about with those that understand. So my ultrasound and mammo measured my tumor differently and since it was ILC they ordered the MRI. MRI measures it at 2.6cm, but lots of other areas "lighting up". up to 4.8cm. So she is now sending me to MO prior to surgery decision, when at first I was going after what I thought was a lumpectomy with rads. So it seems my choices are this: 1. I will need an MRI guided vacuum assisted biopsy of at least 2 of the spots that are lighting up. If these are "diseased" tissues that makes the decision for mastectomy in of itself. She said she couldn't do a lumpectomy with good results on a tumor that size. 2. I can just choose mastectomy and she said the final pathology will determine the size and weather I would also need rads. I prayed specifically for this MRI to show all of the disease, and when I woke on the morning of the test I had an odd sense of calm. I have continued to pray for a clear answer but now I am just overwhelmed and confused. I left it that I would call my nurse navigator in the morning, and I also go back to the surgeons office for genetics with her PA so hopefully I can talk through it with her too. I really need some help here folks, I am feeling a little more than lost and alone here.

DX @ 46, premenopausal, mammaprint low risk Dx 8/21/2018, LCIS/ILC, Right, 4cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 2/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 10/25/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Radiation Therapy 12/6/2018 Lymph nodes, Chest wall Surgery 8/20/2020 Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Page 1 of 2 (32 results)

Posts 1 - 30 (32 total)

Aug 29, 2018 03:36PM wallycat wrote:

Hate to be a downer but praying doesn't/won't work. If it did, none of us would be here. Singing

My mri showed a 7mm tumor and my actual tumor was 1.8cm. Nothing showed up on mammo or ultrasound. ILC is just sneaky. After my decision, the radiologist said she was glad I opted for mastectomy but did not want to sway my decision till I had made up my own mind. The tech also said the same thing to me; she went so far as to do a prophylactic bmx with recon because her family was riddled with ILC. If you have several areas that are lit up, the only way to be sure what is and isn't cancer is to biopsy it. To know for sure what size each actual cancer is, as far as I know, it has to be removed. Many gals here were told their tumors would be bigger and ended up smaller; mine was bigger and I was "promised" smaller. The only certain in cancer is there's no certainty. I hope others post and I hope your doctors can give you some better answers.You can read our tag lines on the choices we've made but ultimately it is your decision and what you are comfortable with.

Best to you!

Dx 4/07 1 month before turning 50; ILC 1.8cm, ER+/PR+, HER2 neg., Stage 1, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes. Onco score 20, Bilateral Mast., tamoxifen 3-1/2 years, arimidex-completed 4/20/2012

Aug 29, 2018 05:49PM Georgia1 wrote:

Hi there Dani. First, do know that usually (but not always) MRI technology shows tumors as larger than they really are. So if it was me, I'd do the biopsy. That way you'll have a better sense of whether it is ILC, DCIS or just LCIS. (Mine was a mix of ILC, IDC and LCIS, and it was two different tumors close together. I had a lumpectomy.)

I'd also do the genetic test. If you have the BRCA gene, you might decide on the masectomy (or a double masectomy) based on that information alone.

I'm so sorry you are getting bad news, but you seem like a strong person. Just take it one step at a time, and you'll make it through.

Cancer touched my breast so I kicked its ass. Dx 9/3/2017, ILC/IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 10/10/2017, LCIS, Right, 0/1 nodes Surgery 10/10/2017 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 11/27/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 1/2/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Aug 30, 2018 07:12AM dtad wrote:

Dani444....so sorry you are going through this. MRIs are notorious for false positives. IMO you should have all the suspicious areas biopsied before making any surgical decisions. I was going to have a lumpectomy before I had a preoperative MRI. The MRI showed 5 suspicious areas. I had them biopsied and only 2 of them were positive. One was ILC and one was IDC. The others were benign. I decided to have a bilateral mastectomy mostly due to difficult screening of the ILC. Hope this helps. Good luck and keep us posted.

Dx 3/20/2015, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 4/10/2015, ILC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/21/2015 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Aug 30, 2018 03:35PM dakrock wrote:

I had a needle core biopsy and after that was completed they said I would just need a lumpectomy.   After the final results came in and it was found out that I had ILC I had two choices.   Lumpectomy with 27 rounds of radiation and needing to make sure all margins were clear or mastectomy with no radiation and letrozole for 7-10 years.  I chose the mastectomy and even wanted the other breast taken off but he said he could not do that since there was nothing wrong with that breast.  I still want that breast gone.   I now have a spot on my face which I have to have a surgeon remove for a biopsy since they think it could be a melanoma.  I just heard from someone on these posts that she got a melanoma before she found the ILC.  I just called My oncologist and she said wait until the results come from the biopsy on my face and they will tell if it is ILC related.   I feel like this is never ending.   I know how overwhelmed you must feel.  I am six months out from my surgery and still every day is a worry with one thing or another.  Hang in there.   We are all going to be okay!!!!  Stay strong :)

Bonnie Dx 12/4/2017, ILC, Right, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 12/5/2017 Femara (letrozole) Surgery 2/23/2018 Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction, Saline implant Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Aug 30, 2018 03:49PM Dani444 wrote:

Dakrock- I am so sorry you have something else to worry about on top of the breast cancer, that just sucks :( I am hoping for good news for you with the spot on your face. I cannot image worrying about both. Virtual hugs and sending prayers and good vibes your way!!

After meeting today for the first time with a super awkward radiologist oncologist ( seriously, how many times do you have to reference that I have small breasts while showing my mammo) I had a chance to sit and talk to his nurse navigator. So it was good to talk it through with her. I have decided to go ahead with the additional biopsy, knowing I can ultimately choose mastectomy anyway if I feel strongly about it. But hopefully the answers will be in the additional testing. I am off to genetics tomorrow, lets hope for no sneaky genes being found!

DX @ 46, premenopausal, mammaprint low risk Dx 8/21/2018, LCIS/ILC, Right, 4cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 2/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 10/25/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Radiation Therapy 12/6/2018 Lymph nodes, Chest wall Surgery 8/20/2020 Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Aug 31, 2018 10:17AM dakrock wrote:

Dani444

Thank you for the hugs.  I needed them today :).    Good luck with your appt and keep us updated.  Sending all good thoughts and energy your way.

Bonnie Dx 12/4/2017, ILC, Right, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 12/5/2017 Femara (letrozole) Surgery 2/23/2018 Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction, Saline implant Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 21, 2018 11:09AM Dani444 wrote:

Well, the tumor committee met yesterday. They feel like the disease area is 4.7 cm. My surgeon was concerned about some suspicious areas on the mammo I had for clip placement after the MRI biopsy. She said the radiologist agreed it was most likely part of the cancer. With the size of my breasts she said if we tried lumpectomy I would lose all of the inner upper quadrant of my breast, and she said she did not feel confident that we would get clear margins. Her upper limit for trying lumpectomy is 5 cm. She suggested mastectomy would be the best decision. I do believe in the power of prayer, and feel that God has given the members of my team the skill and knowledge to do what is best for me. I appreciate everyone on here and the support!

Sep 21, 2018 01:48PM - edited Sep 21, 2018 02:20PM by Janila03

Dani444 I'm very sorry you are going through this but just like the rest if us, you have to fight hard, take one day at a time and try and stay positive (easier said than done, I know).Never stop praying, I believe in it and it will get you through the hardest of times. I opted for a double mastectomy and I don't think I will ever regret that decision. I just didn't want to take the chance of it coming back. My tumor was 1.8 cm in one breast and I had lCIS in the other. I also had an mri guided biopsy and it showed the tumor to be a little larger than what the surgeons biopsy showed. Ultimately the final decision is yours. Make the one that will give you peace of mind. Good luck and please keep us posted. Hugs!!

Dx 12/5/2017, LCIS/ILC, Both breasts, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 2/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/27/2018 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant, Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant, Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 21, 2018 02:05PM Janila03 wrote:

Wallycat thank you for continuing to post even though you are finished with your treatment.

It's gives us newbies hope, especially when we have "our days". Hugs to everyone on this thread.

God bless all of you.

Dx 12/5/2017, LCIS/ILC, Both breasts, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 2/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/27/2018 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant, Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant, Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 21, 2018 11:13PM Meow13 wrote:

I had a left side mastectomy for 2, 1cm tumors everything else clear. No radiation and really good DIEP reconstruction. Reconstruction really repaired everything so happy.

Sep 22, 2018 10:06AM wallycat wrote:

Janila03, what a sweet post. THank you. I remember the terror and horror I felt when they first told me the news and I remember how many kind and gentle souls came here to virtually hold my hand and "be there" for me. I hope I can assist in small ways. We all process the news so differently and our cancers, though generally labeled, are unique to each of us and how they affect our families.

I wish there were less gals joining us here but seems more and more and that is heartbreaking. Best to you all.

Dx 4/07 1 month before turning 50; ILC 1.8cm, ER+/PR+, HER2 neg., Stage 1, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes. Onco score 20, Bilateral Mast., tamoxifen 3-1/2 years, arimidex-completed 4/20/2012

Sep 22, 2018 12:25PM Meow13 wrote:

I echo Wallycat. Having people to talk with who actually went through the horrors of diagnosis and treatment helped me get through that desperate 2 month period of being diagnosed with BC. If I can help anyone else I will gladly do it.

For me I want to express the emotional pain of cancer and mastectomy. My experience has been cancer treatment seems almost barbaric my experience with plastic surgery has been very good. I would not have been so emotionally devastated by mx if I knew I could have such good cosmetic results. It sounds so vain but emotionally in repaired the "damage".

Sep 22, 2018 07:44PM - edited Sep 22, 2018 07:44PM by Del10

Even though I don't post often just knowing this site and members are here helps me tremendously. Especially now as my surgery day is getting closer. Thank you all.

Sep 25, 2018 10:43AM claireinaz wrote:

Re surgery: I was happy with my BMX and reconstruction--it felt like a lot like a non-event, really. I stayed small, which meant I didn't have to do chest expanders, which probably helped my recovery, which was pretty quick and painless. You can search my name in the search function and see what my experience was.

My breasts don't feel like my old ones, of course, and I wasn't expecting that they would. But I am glad that I went ahead and had the surgery considering that ILC has a bit higher tendency to be multi-focal. Since I had 5 "clear" mammos that didn't reveal the problem (I found it on my own, weirdly but thankfully) I didn't want to go through any more scans, mistrusting that the results would miss something.

9/29/11 ILC, 2 c. stage II grade 1, ER/PR+ HER2-, 6/11 nodes, lumpectomy, DDAC x 4, Taxol x 12, 33 rads, Tamoxifen/arimidex/aromasin, BMX/immed recon 7/3/13 "In the midst of winter, I found in me an invincible summer.” Albert Camus

Oct 16, 2018 07:27PM - edited Oct 16, 2018 07:45PM by Suzyshacklechick

I am terrified. I I had LCIS 5 years ago and they did lumpectomy, no drugs or radiation, and I was good to go. Until today. Diagnosed with Invasive Lobular Carcinoma in same breast, near the scar. I go to surgeon on 30th. Had core needle biopsy a few days ago and thst's When they found it. What is different with Invasive, and is it better to just get mastectomy so I don't have to worry every five years? And will they make suggestions? This is new to me. Thank you all. Also skin Dr found suspicious mole on same breast near site he is going to biopsy. Is the related.

I also had 4 “ clear" Mamos after lumpectomy and when I went on Medicare and they did ultrasound with new Dr. they found shadow this time

Dx 11/2/2018, ILC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 12/27/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Hormonal Therapy 2/18/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Oct 16, 2018 09:22PM Dani444 wrote:

Suzyshacklechic- I am so sorry you are here with this diagnosis. The early stages of diagnosis are the worse, I have found. Exactly what these super supportive members on here told me in the beginning! ILC is pretty sneaky from what I have learned, due to the way it grows in single cell line, and lacking the protein that causes the cells to clump together that would lead you to feel a lump. It is not uncommon for this cancer to hide in imaging, so glad they were diligent with their exam. You will get a ton of information from that initial meeting with the surgeon. A big piece of advise I was given on here and wish I would have taken was to take someone with me to that visit! Write down all the questions you can think of until then, because you will forget them when you are in there, it is so mush info at once. Are you seeing a breast surgeon, or a general surgeon? There is so much waiting in this crappy situation, and that is the part that really sucks. When you get the information you need and get a treatment plan in place you will start to feel a little less terrified, I promise. These boards have saved my sanity, even if just by getting a wealth of knowledge from these amazing people! Do not hesitate to ask anything, or if you just need to vent! I wish you the very best and moments of peace and calm as you move through this.

Oct 17, 2018 05:29PM MoonGirlJess wrote:

Suzyshacklechick—sorry to hear about recent diagnosis. ILC is a sneaky one. I had the mastectomy on the left as I would never trust my boobs again. Or a mammogram. The right one is coming off after chemo and rads. The oncologist says it doesn’t need to be removed but it’s outta here. Best wishes to you.

J

Pleomorphic Dx 6/6/2018, ILC, Left, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 3/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/21/2018 Chemotherapy 7/29/2018 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 1/21/2019 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 1/29/2019 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 6/19/2020 Prophylactic ovary removal

Oct 17, 2018 05:38PM dakrock wrote:

Suzyshacklechic

I too was diagnosed with ILC and had my surgery in February 2018.   At first they thought I only needed a lumpectomy but then when the pathology came back with ILC diagnosis the surgeon said mastectomy was the way to go.  Take the worry out of constantly going back to make sure margins are clear.   I really wanted the other breast taken off but he said insurance would not cover that because there was nothing wrong with that breast.   Take your time with your decisions.  No need to rush into anything.  I was diagnosed in December of 2017 and did not have the surgery until Feb. 2018.   ILC is sneaky but it is not fast growing.  I'm sorry you are going through this.  Take plenty of notes and someone with you whenever you can.   Keep us posted.  Sending you all good thoughts.

Oct 17, 2018 05:44PM dakrock wrote:

Well turns out the spot on my face was melanoma.   I had it removed and it was quite large.   This past week after the pathology report came in turns out the margins are not clear enough and I have to go back and have more removed .  I can only tell you the scar on my face is large and it will now be larger.   The plastic surgeon said don't worry we can correct that.  I can only hope.  I will have that done on November 1st.   Surgeon wanted my face to heal a little more before she cut it again.   Somedays it is harder to stay positive and today is one of those days.    

Oct 17, 2018 06:00PM Astrid wrote:

Just read through this thread. Dani...how did you go post op? Are you happy with your decision to have mast. In the end? Are you having treatment now?

Suzi...I had ILC in 2012.

10years post double mast. For IDC (both breasts)so the cancer was back and had changed form to ILC. It felt like necrotic tissue..rock hard and lumpy. I was convinced that's what it was..but nope. I had already had a mastectomy. And 9 years later (2011) had silicone reconstruction.(thus thinking scarred tissue from reco!) but it appeared in the remaining tissue that mastectomies leave. No guarantees, but the tumour was larger than expected. My surgeon said this often happens with ILC. I would always err on side of mastectomy with this.

Best of luck to both of you.

Dani, completely agree with you re prayer. Such a powerful tool. We don't pray naively, but for strength, courage and the best possible care and outcome under God's will.

"You cannot step into the same river twice, for other waters are continually flowing on." Heraclitus Dx 6/2002, IDC, Both breasts, 1cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Dx 7/2003, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Dx 6/2012, ILC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR-, HER2- (IHC) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast, Chest wall Chemotherapy AC Surgery Lymph node removal: Left, Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right

Oct 17, 2018 06:02PM - edited Oct 18, 2018 05:04PM by Astrid

so sorry about your latest news Dakrok. You have a lot to contend with! Wishing you calm ,peace and strength to deal with all that lies ahead.

"You cannot step into the same river twice, for other waters are continually flowing on." Heraclitus Dx 6/2002, IDC, Both breasts, 1cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Dx 7/2003, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Dx 6/2012, ILC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR-, HER2- (IHC) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast, Chest wall Chemotherapy AC Surgery Lymph node removal: Left, Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right

Oct 18, 2018 02:53AM Dani444 wrote:

Astrid- I have my surgery coming up on the 25th! I will report back on how it goes. Getting more nervous as it approaches but will be glad to have it done with! Thank you for asking Smile

Dakrock -I am so sorry that came back as melanoma and that you have to go back for more surgery. I imagine that is emotionally exhausting with everything going on. I will pray they get clean margins coming up.

Oct 18, 2018 05:08PM - edited Oct 18, 2018 05:08PM by Astrid

Will keep you in my prayers Dani. All strength to you in coming days and blessings for surgery.

Suzi...sorry I had you mixed up with dakrok for a minute. I see you were asking if breast mole could be somehow connected with ILC dx? The answer is no. Melanoma (if it is cancer) is different again.)

Oct 19, 2018 09:27AM dakrock wrote:

Astrid

Thank you so much for your kind words.   I am keeping the faith as best I can.   Hang in there too :)

Oct 20, 2018 01:28PM Suzyshacklechick wrote:

thank you everyone for your kindness. I thought no one was responding to me and I just found this part of site. I feel the waiting is hardest and if I have to have macectomy I will. I already had lumpectomy in left Breast where I am now diagnosed with invasive lobular Carcinoma. I don’t want to worry anymore. I just am so nervous,sad, and don’tFeel like myself. I just want to get the plan from Dr. that is on the 30th. That day can’t come soon enough. I am going to wait til I have a plan to tell my brothers. And yes, I am having a friend go with. Is there an easier way to navigate this site? I am so sorry it took so long to respond but I couldn’t find my post.❤️

Dx 11/2/2018, ILC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 12/27/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Hormonal Therapy 2/18/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Oct 20, 2018 01:32PM Suzyshacklechick wrote:

thank you Dani . I am going to surgeon on 30th to discuss plan

Oct 20, 2018 04:52PM Suzyshacklechick wrote:

Also wondering how long I should expect to be off work with mastectomy. I work at a little boutique so pretty low stress. Also, how long do you think I will need my husband to be home for. He tours with a band and I was just curious when I will be able to care for myself

Oct 20, 2018 05:04PM Astrid wrote:

Hi suzie...

If you press the favorite topic button you will be alerted to new posts here. When you log in, if you press 'dashboard' you can also see the topics you posted in and whether there are newer posts.

When you log in, if you have some 'favorite' topics added, they show if there are new messages on thw menu bar.

Hope that helps.

I honestly can't remember how long recovery takes for mast. Best ask on the 30th.

Oct 20, 2018 05:28PM Suzyshacklechick wrote:

Thanks Astrid

Oct 21, 2018 10:27AM - edited Oct 21, 2018 10:32AM by dakrock

This Post was deleted by dakrock.

Page 1 of 2 (32 results)