We are 226,801 members in 82 forums discussing 158,973 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Right to decide treatment in Canada

Forum: ILC (Invasive Lobular Carcinoma) — Just diagnosed, in treatment, or finished treatment for ILC.

Posted on: Mar 29, 2019 08:05PM

Rociteamo wrote:

Hello beautiful fighters.

My mother was diagnosed with ILC about a year ago. She was told that she has to start a treatment which involves chemo. I would like to know if she has the right to decide if she takes just part of the treatmet skipping just the chemo.

Julian

Thanks

Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (8 results)

Posts 1 - 8 (8 total)

Log in to post a reply

Mar 29, 2019 08:25PM pingpong1953 wrote:

I don't think any type of treatment can be forced on a patient. Perhaps the hospital where she would get her treatment has a social worker who can help her learn about her rights as a patient.

Dx 4/12/2017, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/2/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 7/5/2017 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 12/8/2017 Femara (letrozole) Surgery 2/27/2018 Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right
Log in to post a reply

Mar 29, 2019 08:28PM - edited Mar 29, 2019 08:29PM by Beesie

Absolutely. Her doctors recommend, your mother gets to decide.

If she was diagnosed a year ago, why is the recommendation for chemo only coming now? What's happened over the past year?

And do you have more specifics about her diagnosis, other than just that it's ILC? Size of tumor, hormone status, nodal status..

“No power so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.” Edmund Burke
Log in to post a reply

Mar 29, 2019 09:54PM Rociteamo wrote:

Thanks for your answer Beesie.

She was told by her family doctor that she had to do chemo yes or yes if she wanted to star a treatment in Canada.

My mom was aware about her health condition since she did a cancer breast test in Colombia (I don't know exactly what kind of test but it showed something suspicious in her right breast) She came back to Toronto with the porpouse of getting a referal by her family doc and proced with the medical tests she was advice to do but her doctor told her that this was not possible, that she had to follow his procedure. He wanted her to do a biopsy but my mom did not agree at that moment.

She did the bio in Colombia where she went looking for different options and was diagnosed about a year ago in with ILC but I think the report does not show any info about hormone or nodal status, it just show the size, 1.5cm. After this, she spend most of her time doing something called the new germanic medicine by dr Hammer in Nicaragua where it is aproved by the goverment.

She could reduce the inflammation of her right breast a lot but now her pain is really really bad, I would like her to belive that here in Canada she can get better treatmet not only with chemo if she decides to.

Does anyone know a good oncologist close to Toronto.

Any help is really apreciated

Sorry for my english.


Julián

Log in to post a reply

Mar 29, 2019 09:56PM Rociteamo wrote:

Thanks. I really apreciate it. I will look into that.


Log in to post a reply

Mar 29, 2019 11:17PM Beesie wrote:

To see an Oncologist, your mother needs a referral from her family doctor (or gynecologist). Other than making the referral, her family doctor will have absolutely no role in her treatment plan, once she is seeing the Oncologist. So what her family doctor told her about having to have chemo makes no sense. A family doctor has no say in that recommendation or decision.

There are many excellent Oncologists in the Toronto area. My recommendation would be to get a referral to the Oncology department at a major hospital, and they will assign a specific Oncologist. Princess Margaret Hospital is one of the top cancer hospitals in the world. Sunnybrook and Women's College are also excellent. The potential issue could be that they will want the pathology report showing the details of her cancer; if the report from her biopsy in Colombia is not complete, they might require a biopsy before accepting her as a patient. This might be why her family doctor wanted to send her for the biopsy.

Your mother has complete freedom to decide what treatment she wants. That said, if her cancer is advanced and chemo is clearly required and by far the best (or possibly only) treatment option, any individual Oncologist could choose to not treat her if she refuses this treatment. Additionally, there are some breast cancers, those that are hormone negative, for which chemo is the only treatment option other than surgery. There are other breast cancers, such as those that are HER2+, that are extremely aggressive and truly require chemo (along with Herceptin). An oncologist might feel that there is little that he or she can do for a patient who refuses chemo who has a hormone negative or HER2+ breast cancer. So while you mother gets to decide what treatments she will take, she should be aware that with certain diagnoses, there might be little that an Oncologist can offer if she refuses chemo.

“No power so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.” Edmund Burke
Log in to post a reply

Mar 30, 2019 01:57PM Rociteamo wrote:

Thank you Beesie. This info is gold for us.

Blessings

💖

Log in to post a reply

Mar 30, 2019 02:13PM dakrock wrote:

Bessie

I was diagnosed with ER+/PR+, HER2- .   I had a mastectomy and was immediately put on an Armitose Inhibitor (Letrozole or Femara brand name).   After 13 months I just told my oncologist that I didn't want to take it anymore because of all the joint pain, memory issues etc.  She said I understand.  If you don't want to try Tamoxifin we will just deal with issues as they come up.   I love the fact that she didn't question my decision.   Your mom can make her own decisions.  In the beginning whatever they told me I did.   Now I am doing my own research and making my own choices.   Quality of life to me is very important and I was not having that on Letrozole.   Good luck.

 

Bonnie Dx 12/4/2017, ILC, Right, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 12/5/2017 Femara (letrozole) Surgery 2/23/2018 Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction, Saline implant Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)
Log in to post a reply

Apr 11, 2019 10:32PM Rociteamo wrote:

Hello Beesie

I hope this message finds you very well.

I would like to tell you about our situation and ask you about It if you allow me to.

My mom finally decided to return to Canada to start a treatment that would give her an opportunity to save her life. She arrives next Monday, April 15, in Toronto.

I do not really know where to start, the pain she feels is very strong. I want to be sure to find the right doctors for her. When she arrives should I go directly to the emergency room? can I request that they send me to princess margaret or sunny brooks?

Blesings

Page 1 of 1 (8 results)