We are 224,828 members in 82 forums discussing 157,962 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: ILC Treatment Options

Forum: ILC (Invasive Lobular Carcinoma) — Just diagnosed, in treatment, or finished treatment for ILC.

Posted on: Sep 13, 2019 09:37AM

Live_love_laugh wrote:

Hi Ladies new to the group and have so many questions, you all seem to be so knowledgable..I have recently been diagnosed with Stage 1A ILC Multifocal..waiting on oncotype results to decide chemo, Oncologist says I may only need hormone therapy, but no rads Just a few questions.

Chemo Question: my understanding is chemo kills current dividing active cells..how does chemo them help recurrence in the future?

Can lifestyle like lowering harmful foods, lowering BMI/Overall body fat and exercise decrease recurrence rate alot, can this route not be taken instead of all these treatment meds that have all the side effects.?

Lastly when tamoxifan is done 5-10 yrs down the road, are you opening yourself up to recurrence again?

Thank you for your advice and input in advance

Page 1 of 1 (9 results)

Posts 1 - 9 (9 total)

Sep 13, 2019 12:10PM trinigirl50 wrote:

Chemo works on the currently active cells that may have already entered your bloodstream or lymphatic system and kills them. This stops them from setting up shop in your bones or organs and growing into tumours at a later stage. This cuts down on the chance of recurrence in the future.

Yes it has been documented that exercise can help drop reoccurrence rates by as much as 20% in some studies. It is not clear whether lowering your body fat prevents reoccurrence some studies say yes, some say no. However the idea behind it, is that fat makes oestrogen and if you are ER+ then the less oestrogen your body makes, the better your chances are for no reoccurrence. The tamoxifen is used to lower or eliminate oestrogen. Tamoxifen has been absolutely proven to lower reoccurrence rates by up to 30%.

There is now an online calculator that can predict if continued use of Tamox or an AI drug after 5 years completed will be beneficial or not.

As you are so early stage, I would guess that your chances of reoccurrence are very small. ILC is know to be slow lazy cancer when caught early, not aggressive. No one is safe from recurrence but Stage 1A ILC has an excellent prognosis.

Decisions about forgoing medication and changing lifestyle instead of using conventional therapy are entirely personal. I would discuss this clearly with your Drs. But changing lifestyle for healthier eating and exercise is always going to be beneficial, whether it reduces chances of reoccurrence or not.

Good luck.

trinigirl50 Dx 3/7/2015, ILC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIIC, Grade 2, 20/24 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 3/7/2015 Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy 4/13/2015 AC + T (Taxotere) Hormonal Therapy 9/14/2015 Arimidex (anastrozole), Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy 10/1/2015 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Sep 13, 2019 12:58PM Meow13 wrote:

My lifestyle was very good, eating and daily exercise BMI was 21 at diagnosis so were many others

Sep 13, 2019 01:22PM OnTarget wrote:

I am stage 1a, but I had ITC's found in 1 lymph node, so in my case I felt that my cancer cells were clearly out and about looking for new places to set up shop. The standard recommendation for my situation is to not do chemo, but in working with my MO it was determined that chemo could have some benefit and I chose to take it to hopefully kill those wandering cells. ILC is often lower grade, but mine is grade 2 with pleomorphic features, so hopefully the chemo will work on the wanderers.

Diagnosed at 42, Oncotype score 16, ITC in one node- considered node negative Dx 4/8/2019, ILC, Left, 3cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 4/23/2019, ILC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/15/2019 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 6/13/2019 Zoladex (goserelin) Chemotherapy 8/5/2019 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 11/6/2019 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Nov 1, 2019 07:51AM arizonaboundgal wrote:

Hey Trinigirl. I was also diagnosed with ILC this summer and am trying to decide whether to take the AL drug prescribed. You mentioned an online calculator...would you have a link for this? Thanks in advance!

Enjoy every sandwich--Warren Zevon

Nov 13, 2019 02:09AM - edited Nov 13, 2019 02:10AM by MikaMika

This Post was deleted by MikaMika.

Nov 13, 2019 02:12AM MikaMika wrote:

Hello. OnTarget, may I ask more about your treatment?

Nov 14, 2019 11:26AM wallycat wrote:

Mika, you sent me a PM...I don't know that there's any one way to think we can beat this ugly cancer. Some gals really make a 180 change and others keep doing what they had been, since they were healthy and doing things "right" all along. Cancer is a crap shoot. Eat well, eliminate as much stress as is possible, have friends and family around that are loving....and live life till you can't.

Dx 4/07 1 month before turning 50; ILC 1.8cm, ER+/PR+, HER2 neg., Stage 1, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes. Onco score 20, Bilateral Mast., tamoxifen 3-1/2 years, arimidex-completed 4/20/2012

Nov 14, 2019 05:41PM MikaMika wrote:

Thank you so much for your response!

Nov 15, 2019 05:24PM Meow13 wrote:

I agree do the best you can to live healthy and enjoy.

Page 1 of 1 (9 results)