Join Us

We are 225,720 members in 83 forums discussing 164,194 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: CYP-2D6 Tamoxifen

Forum: ILC (Invasive Lobular Carcinoma) — Just diagnosed, in treatment, or finished treatment for ILC.

Posted on: Sep 22, 2019 12:48PM - edited Sep 22, 2019 02:48PM by RMC19

RMC19 wrote:

Has anyone gotten this test (CYP-2D6) to determine whether they are able to metabolize Tamoxifen? If so does anyone know if this test helps to determine those ILC Dx individuals that may respond to Tamoxifen versus those that will not? From what I am reading, certain individuals diagnosed with ILC do not respond well to (or are not helped by) Tamoxifen verses aromatase inhibitors and I didn't know If this test could help by any chance

Sorry if this is covered somewhere else, but I wasn't able to find it

Dx 7/10/2019, LCIS/DCIS/ILC/IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 3/21 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH)

Page 2 of 2 (32 results)

Posts 31 - 32 (32 total)

Oct 2, 2019 07:57AM Lisey wrote:

On the topic of laboratories... When I got tested in 2017, there were only 3 labs in the nation that were certified by the FDA and able to supply to Medicaid / Medicare patients. They have government oversite and require inspections. Kailos Genetics is one of the 3 labs. I know 23andme and other private labs like that are NOT certified because they work directly with the consumer and don't require a doctor to see the results.

The Government requires all certified labs to have a doctor see the results to help explain them if needed (thus why you submit your doctor). If the lab doesn't ask for it, they aren't certified.

Oncotype =20, ER 95%, PR 5%, ki67= 30%, Mammoprint = Low, Blueprint = Luminal A!!!! TEs= Iron Bra of Death - not worth all the complications for foobs that I'll never feel. Flat and fealess now. Dx 5/11/2016, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/1/2016 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 6/14/2016 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 7/7/2016 Mastectomy: Left, Right Hormonal Therapy 7/14/2016 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Sep 30, 2020 05:59PM sumomo wrote:

I've done some reading and would like to share my findings so far. The reason some MOs don't recommend CYP2D6 test is there haven't been enough studies to confirm the correlation between CYP2D6 genotype and Tamoxifen or even between Endoxifen plasma concentration and Tamoxifen efficacy. Most studies are "retrospective", therefore many other factors were involved so you cannot determine how much CYP2D6 genotype contributed to given results. Besides, there have been contradictory findings.

One recent study says it confirmed no efficacy difference between Tamoxifen 20mg vs. 40mg dosage to those who were categorized as poor metabolizer. It also says the Endoxifen concentration was significantly higher in those taking 40mg and it's even higher than the rapid metabolizers who were taking 20mg (ascopubs.org/doi/abs/10.1200/J... It seems to me that it's not always good to have a high Edoxifen plasma concentration, which is very confusing to me but I have to interpret that there must be a proper level of Endoxifen concentration and that may be achieved by poor metabolizers taking Tamoxifen 20mg daily.

By the way, in this thread I see some say you pay for CYP2D6 test unless MO orders it. Which country/region is it about? Has anyone taken the test in Canada?

Page 2 of 2 (32 results)