Join Us

We are 218,705 members in 84 forums discussing 161,183 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Mastectomy

Forum: ILC (Invasive Lobular Carcinoma) — Just diagnosed, in treatment, or finished treatment for ILC.

Posted on: Jan 7, 2020 06:17AM

Iamy wrote:

I’m scheduled for my 7th of 8 Che is this week afterward I’m scheduled for a double mastectomy, up to this point I think I’ve handled the diagnoses as well as I can but I’m having trouble with the mastectomy I’m very scared, I’m 41 and have 2 children at home I’m worried about how I’m goi g to look and feel and the reconstruction ahead can anyone give me any insights or help processing thanks

Dx 10/1/2019, ILC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIB, Grade 2, ER+, HER2+ Chemotherapy 10/31/2019 AC + T (Taxol) Hormonal Therapy Surgery Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Jan 7, 2020 06:47AM claireinaz wrote:

I had BMX with immediate recon (a one and done surgery--not everyone qualifies but I am small-breasted and wanted to stay that way which made it easier). Honestly I felt like my surgery and post surgical recovery was a non-event. I had little to no pain; the worst part was having to sleep on my back on a wedge pillow for 3 weeks to protect my PS's work. I don't even remember taking pain meds other than maybe some ibuprofen. I was in the hospital for 2 nights only.

Claire in AZ

9/29/11 ILC, 2 c. stage II grade 1, ER/PR+ HER2-, 6/11 nodes, lumpectomy, DDAC x 4, Taxol x 12, 33 rads, Tamoxifen/arimidex/aromasin, BMX/immed recon 7/3/13 "In the midst of winter, I found in me an invincible summer.” Albert Camus

Jan 7, 2020 07:25AM - edited Jan 7, 2020 07:25AM by wallycat

There's a whole area here for surgery/recon issues if you want to look through some of those threads.

I was 49 and at time of dx, just turned 50 with surgeries...I opted for no recon because I had very large, beautiful breasts, if I say so myself, and nothing can compete with nature. Recon won't return any breast sensation if you opt for it unless you're eligible for nipple sparring surgery. The surgery was a breeze. I'd looked at enough websites to know what to expect, though emotionally, that may not prepare anyone till it actually happens. I had had a lumpectomy first because my surgeon wanted to know if the scans were accurate, so that is when I had my SNB (sentinal node biopsy). That SNB surgery took me longer to recover (a few weeks to be able to raise my arm completely over my head); the mx was nothing. We are all different and I've read that some women struggle with pain but I had nothing; no pain, no change in range of motion, etc. My breast surgeon freaked when he came to see me and saw the pain cart in the hall but I just had zero issues. Several months after, there was some cording...not painful, just looked and felt it and physical therapy massage got rid of all of it in a few appointments.

Best to you.

Dx 4/07 1 month before turning 50; ILC 1.8cm, ER+/PR+, HER2 neg., Stage 1, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes. Onco score 20, Bilateral Mast., tamoxifen 3-1/2 years, arimidex-completed 4/20/2012

Jan 11, 2020 04:25AM claireinaz wrote:

To add to wallycat-I had nipple-sparing, and lost all sensation. The surgeon has to "lift" (effectively cut) the nipples away from the blood supply, cutting them from nerves too. They should be biopsied for any cancer cells and if they are clear, then nipple sparing BMXs can move forward. So "nipple-sparing" only spares the cosmetic look of the finished product--and doesn't spare sensation. It was a hard price to pay since I have no sensation at all in my breasts, post-surgery.

Claire in AZ

9/29/11 ILC, 2 c. stage II grade 1, ER/PR+ HER2-, 6/11 nodes, lumpectomy, DDAC x 4, Taxol x 12, 33 rads, Tamoxifen/arimidex/aromasin, BMX/immed recon 7/3/13 "In the midst of winter, I found in me an invincible summer.” Albert Camus

Jan 11, 2020 05:02AM redhead403 wrote:

Same here Claireinaz

Surgery 4/16/2019 Lumpectomy: Left Dx 9/9/2019, DCIS/IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 11/7/2019 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic ovary removal; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Radiation Therapy 1/6/2020 Whole-breast: Breast

Jan 12, 2020 05:31AM claireinaz wrote:

PS except it's weird; when I go outside and it's really cold (we get a lot of snow here in this part of AZ), shoveling snow hiking or running or whatever--my implants get really cold, so when I come in, it's like having cold bags on my chest. Not unpleasant, just odd :)

Claire in AZ

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)