Join Us

We are 217,478 members in 84 forums discussing 160,584 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Removal of all lymph nodes?

Forum: ILC (Invasive Lobular Carcinoma) — Just diagnosed, in treatment, or finished treatment for ILC.

Posted on: May 28, 2020 04:30PM

Ice9 wrote:

Hi everyone! Hopefully this is the right board to post in. My 55 year old mom was diagnosed with Stage 2 ILC. Right breast 2CM lump near armpit. Cancer was found only in 1 lymph node. Everything tested HER NEGATIVE and estrogen and progesterone positive. Her oncologist kept saying how treatable this is and reassuring us it will be ok! June 9 she will be getting a lumpectomy/ removal of some lymph nodes/ breast reduction/ and then radiation to follow. They have to see after surgery to see if she needs chemo.

She just had a follow up call and now her oncologist is saying she needs all the lymph nodes removed in that armpit to make sure the cancer doesn’t spread. Is this normal?

If you’ve had all your lymph nodes removed in one arm, how is that effecting your life now

also, has anyone been givin this diagnosis before? What was your experience? Just trying to have a hopeful outlook and be completely prepared before June 9. Thank you so much everyone!

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)

Posts 1 - 3 (3 total)

May 28, 2020 04:57PM LillyWasHere wrote:

I am sorry to hear about your Mom. ILC is a sneaky BC and it is common to be hormone positive. In my case, it was a small tumor that did show in MRI however, after surgery, 2 out of 5 lymph nodes were removed to be positive and did not show in MRI. I also asked for BMX and as surprise, the other breast had LCIS. Do you mind if I ask you where is your Mom getting surgery and if she had second opinion? As current standard regimen goes most of the times Lumpectomy+radiation or, BMX no radiation, and hormonal therapy and most of the cases no chemo for ILC. However, her MO will decide what works better for your Mom. Let us know and best of luck!

Dx 7/31/2019, ILC, Left, <1cm, Stage IIA, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 9/19/2019 Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic ovary removal; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 12/1/2019 Femara (letrozole)

May 28, 2020 05:22PM Ice9 wrote:

thank you for your reply! Los Angels at Cedars Senai. She loves her team! We were just worried and wondering about the the removal of her lymph nodes. She’s hoping for no chemo but we will know after surgery. I’m going to have her ask another oncologist about the lymph removal. Thanks again

May 28, 2020 11:31PM Moderators wrote:

Hi there, Ice9! We're so sorry to hear about your mom, but it sounds like she's in good hands! One thing to be aware of is the development of lymphedema, which can happen after lymph node removal. The build-up of fluid can lead to swelling and discomfort, but there are therapies and treatment to help manage the condition! It may be a good idea to talk with her surgeon about how to be proactive following her surgery. Best of luck to her, please keep us posted on how things go!

The Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)