Jun 12, 2020 09:10AM Whatjusthappened wrote:
mellielu, I'm so sorry you find yourself here. It sounds like your surgeon is doing all the right tests, but it would be a good idea to go ahead and see an oncologist if you have not already done so, preferably one on the same team as your surgeon so that they are communicating with each other.
In my case, it was the MRI that pretty much made the decision for me between lumpectomy and mastectomy, as a large portion of my breast lit up on the MRI. After that my surgeon said that a lumpectomy was not really an option.
I opted for a bilateral mastectomy for peace of mind and symmetry. Before my surgery we did not have my genetic results back and we were going on the diagnosis of strictly ILC. My insurance company fought me on my decision to do a bilateral, saying that if I had LCIS they would approve the bilateral but not for ILC. We appealed that decision and I got the bilateral, which turned out to be the right decision after my genetic test results came back. I tell you all this so that you know to get all that information before you make any kind of decision, since those results can have a way of making your decisions for you.
Your surgeon is right in that ILC behaves differently that IDC, and I would educate myself on that aspect of it. This site and lots of ladies on this site have a wealth of information about it. Another good resource is https://lobularbreastcancer.org/. The difference between IDC and ILC will come into play when you're deciding on your treatment plan after surgery.
For the record, I also breast fed for at least six years of my life, and was 48 when diagnosed.
Please let us know how it goes. I wish you all the best!