Join Us

We are 224,935 members in 83 forums discussing 163,793 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: AI's and Constipation

Forum: ILC (Invasive Lobular Carcinoma) — Just diagnosed, in treatment, or finished treatment for ILC.

Posted on: Jan 3, 2021 04:46PM - edited Jan 3, 2021 04:49PM by AKColleen

AKColleen wrote:

I have ILC ER+ Stage 2 no lymph nodes involved. I had partial mastectomy w/clear margins, radiation therapy, IV Zometa and AI's. FU all negative. I am currently taking Zometa IV every 6 mo and on Aromasin AI.. I tried Femara but it made me so n/v constipated I could only tolerate it 6 months. Been on Aromasin nearly 3 years now with increasing n/v/ C. Anyone have recommendations for severe constipation? I take 250mg daily of colase, Sennakot DS 2 nightly. Now seems like I can only go with Fleets enema. I've added Miralax and it doesn't do anything, neither does 900mg!! of Magnesium. I really tolerate Aromasin well except for this GI stuff. I'd appreciate any ideas to help it not be stone pellets and having to use enemas. I also had GIST abdominal tumor with partial gastrectomy at the same time as my partial mastectomy. The GIST tumor had not turned to cancer yet. TIA. Colleen

Dx 5/31/2017, ILC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 5/31/2017 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 7/15/2017 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane), Femara (letrozole)

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)

Posts 1 - 7 (7 total)

Jan 3, 2021 05:21PM flashlight wrote:

Hi, There are some post on constipation that are helpful if you do a search. I know I'm not on the same medication. After my hysterectomy with prolapse repair the doctor put me on miralax twice a day (mixed it in my coffee) with 100mg of colace twice a day. It takes about 3-days for the miralax to work so before I left the hospital they added 2-sennas. You have to increase your fluid intake for it to work. Do you take Magnesium Citrate? My friend said that was the only one that worked for her.

Dx 11/15/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Dx DCIS, Left, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes Radiation Therapy Whole-breast Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Lumpectomy: Left

Jan 3, 2021 05:49PM bcincolorado wrote:

I found simply making a point to eat some raisins or grapes every day helps too. Increase your water intake some if you can as well which will help as well. They are a natural way to get things moving. Also a little walking helps as well even walking in place at home or up and down the hall ways. Good luck.

Dx 8/2009, IDC, Left, 5cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/6/2010 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left Hormonal Therapy 1/14/2010 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy 1/29/2016 Femara (letrozole)

Jan 3, 2021 07:17PM MinusTwo wrote:

AK - here's the constipation discussion I found most useful. Good tips & some humor too.

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/6/topics/...

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Jan 4, 2021 11:00AM wallycat wrote:

Have you tried prunes? They also help build bone density. Water, water, water...at least 6-8 glasses of water can really make the difference.

Did the gastro doc indicate your gastric surgery could contribute to any of that? It may not be the AI though tamoxifen really did a number on my gut.

I'm so sorry you are dealing with this.

DH uses optifiber and occasionally psyllium husks. He adds ground flax seed in his cereal every morning and "takes" prunes. His meds are equally annoying.

Dx 4/07 1 month before turning 50; ILC 1.8cm, ER+/PR+, HER2 neg., Stage 1, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes. Onco score 20, Bilateral Mast., tamoxifen 3-1/2 years, arimidex-completed 4/20/2012

Jan 22, 2021 11:34AM - edited Jan 22, 2021 12:22PM by Gracejoy

I found useful information from the constipation discussion and made some changes to it. It really helps with constipation thanks to MinusTwo above.

I am regular now because of following mix that I prepare in a glass and have it first thing in the morning.

3 dry prunes (from Costco as they are sweet), 1 teaspoon unsalted butter and a glass of hot water.

I just let butter melt and crush prunes with spoon then eat and drink everything. It feels like a nice warm sweet treat in the morning and then have my coffee. After one hour I have my usual breakfast.

I Just keep moving afterwards (doing usual things in the house).Complete bowel movement happens in couple of hours.

Dx 5/26/2014, ILC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 1/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/25/2014 Mastectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy 9/9/2014 Femara (letrozole), Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone), Zoladex (goserelin) Radiation Therapy 10/25/2014 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Jan 22, 2021 02:18PM MinusTwo wrote:

Grace - nice to have details on something that works for you. Thanks.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Jan 25, 2021 09:48AM - edited Jan 25, 2021 10:05AM by AKColleen

Thanks everyone. I've tried psyllium, flax, lots of fiber, fresh coconut, lots water, prunes, senna, miralax, colase, and more...nothing worked but Fleets enema and I can't live like this. I'm so thankful I contacted a Functional Medicine MD !! He started me on supplements to calm my stomach and gut which were so inflammed (found on EGD and colonoscopy ). Then he put me on Vit C 1000 daily and Magnesium 950mg daily with no effect...then he upped my dosing of Vit C to 1000mg twice day and 1500 mg Magnesium Citrate daily. Finally with the upped Vit C and Magnesium it took 2 weeks but finally had a normal poo. Hope this continues. Rather worried about this high dose of Magnesium Citrate but my Dr assures me up to 2000mg daily is ok to do. I also am doing plant based high fiber diet, My Functional Medicine Dr had me stop all sugars except for coconut sugar and maple sugar and honey. Thanks also for the link to the constipation thread. I think the combo of the Aromasin and my partial gastrectomy (for GIST tumor) just did my gut in. My GI doc had nothing to offer and didn't think the surgery had anything to do with it. I'm so thankful for my Functional Medicine MD!! He checks all supplements he adds to my diet with the medications I am on for interactions. My breast CA is still in remission. As far as constipation, about 3 years ago I began using the squatty potty and LORD it is such a helper. But it didn't even help once I had the partial gastrectomy. I hope everyone else with these problems can gleen some helpful info.

Dx 5/31/2017, ILC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 5/31/2017 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 7/15/2017 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane), Femara (letrozole)

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)