Join Us

We are 224,365 members in 83 forums discussing 163,513 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Re excision needed

Forum: ILC (Invasive Lobular Carcinoma) — Just diagnosed, in treatment, or finished treatment for ILC.

Posted on: May 12, 2021 04:47PM

suezq1962 wrote:

Hello I had my lumpectomy on 05-03-21 and saw my surgeon yesterday, a re excision needs to be done because margins were not clear.

apparently re excision is more common in ILC and I'm one of the 15%

I am more than disappointed in having to do this again I am thinking on waiting for my Oncotype test results to come back so I can make a better informed decision

if Onco is high maybe just do a double mastectomy and be done! Does that make sense???? anyone been in this situation?

Also tumor was bigger than what the MRI and Ultra sound showed this cancer IS sneaky!

Just wanting to educate myself more before making a decision and maybe a little venting..... but staying positive

Dx 4/7/2021, ILC, Left, 4cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (1 results)

Posts 1 (1 total)

May 12, 2021 05:10PM Beesie wrote:

Sorry that you require a re-excision. Last I read, approx. 20% of lumpectomies require re-excision. I believe the percent is even higher for ILC.

Some women choose to go for the re-excision while others move on to a mastectomy instead.

The Oncotype result reflects your risk to develop a metastatic recurrence, i.e. a distant recurrence in the body beyond the breast. The choice of surgery doesn't as a general rule affect metastatic risk - your risk of mets will be the same whether you have a mastectomy or a lumpectomy. So the Oncotype score doesn't really play into this decision because the score provides no indication of your local (in the breast area) recurrence risk. Surgical margins, size of area of cancer and aggressiveness of the cancer are factors that influence local recurrence risk.

If you are considering an MX or BMX rather than the re-excision, this thread might be helpful to you:

Topic: Considerations: Lumpectomy w/Rads vs. UMX vs. BMX https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/91/topics...

Dx 9/15/2005 Right, 7cm+, DCIS-Mi, Stage IA, Gr 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR- ** Dx 01/16/2019 Left, 8mm, IDC, Stage IA, Gr 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH) ** Surgery 11/30/2005 MX Right, 03/06/2019 MX Left ** Hormonal Therapy 05/2019 Letrozole

Page 1 of 1 (1 results)