Join Us

We are 224,366 members in 83 forums discussing 163,513 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: MRI on Thursday

Forum: ILC (Invasive Lobular Carcinoma) — Just diagnosed, in treatment, or finished treatment for ILC.

Posted on: Jun 27, 2021 07:16PM

GracieGirl2016 wrote:

Hi, Mammo and sono found small tumor (6mm) and ILC and LCIS confirmed with biopsy. I have been told repeatedly that I have “extremely dense breasts,” and so my question is about people’s experiences with the MRI imaging as I try to prepare myself for the results. Were your initial biopsy results typically confirmed by the MRI or did the MRI find more/bigger cancer leading to more biopsies? Thanks for your help

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Jun 28, 2021 12:41AM Veeder14 wrote:

Hi GracieGirl201

My tumor only showed up on MRI, 5mm at biopsy, 8mm at surgery. So glad my doctor ordered the MRI. I hope your MRI confirms the 6 mm and not larger.

Dx 1/2/2018, ILC, Left, <1cm, Stage IB, Grade 1, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/25/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 3/7/2018 Hormonal Therapy 2/28/2019 Hormonal Therapy

Jun 28, 2021 11:10AM Dani444 wrote:

My mammogram measured the area at 3.3 x 4cm, ultrasound was 1.6 x 2.1 x 1.9. My MRI measured it at 2.6cm. There were satellite lesions found on MRI and I chose to have them biopsied. My surgeon said I could just go for a mastectomy and not do the biopsy. The biopsy was benign but led a radiologist at the tumor board to suggest my actual tumor size was 4.7 cm after she looked closely at my clip placement mammo. My tumor turned out to be 4.8 cm at surgical pathology. That radiologist is what led my surgeon to say that she recommended mastectomy over lumpectomy. I am very grateful for that because had I gotten a lumpectomy we most likely would not have gotten good margins. ILC is tricky to image because of the way the cells grow. That is most likely why each imaging type measured it differently.

DX @ 46, premenopausal, mammaprint low risk Dx 8/21/2018, LCIS/ILC, Right, 4cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 2/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 10/25/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Radiation Therapy 12/6/2018 Lymph nodes, Chest wall Surgery 8/20/2020 Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant Surgery 4/19/2021 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jun 29, 2021 11:15AM brittonkb wrote:

Mine was not ILC but I have extremely dense tissue. Mammogram didn't find anything and then I found a lump 6 months later. After diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound, they thought my tumor was 2.1 cm. Then had MRI and reduced the estimate to 2.0 cm with no lymph node involvement. After surgery, discovered that tumor was 4.5cm with 3 lymph nodes positive including one with extranodal extension. I switched my care at that point to a major cancer center. Fast forward a year and I just had my routine MRI screening last week. This was the first time I learned that MRI machines can have different magnetic strengths. My new cancer center only uses a 3T machine which is higher strength. I called the center where I had my initial MRI and wasn't surprised to learn it was a 1.5T machine. If I could go back in time, I'd make sure the MRI machine was 3T to get the clearest image. I can't help but wonder if the 3T machine would have been better at detecting the size and spread of my cancer.

Dx 4/29/2020, IDC, Right, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 3/13 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 5/19/2020 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 7/5/2020 Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary Chemotherapy 8/2/2020 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 1/19/2021 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Jun 29, 2021 11:41AM - edited Jun 29, 2021 11:52AM by GracieGirl2016

Thank you, this is very helpful, I will call right now to find out!

Turns out it is a 3T machine, thanks for making me more knowledgable!

Jun 29, 2021 11:55AM GracieGirl2016 wrote:

Brittonkb, thanks for sharing your experience, the more I read, the more I understand that ILC grows in strange shapes making it hard to measure, and hard to get good margins.

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)