Join Us

We are 225,723 members in 83 forums discussing 164,194 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Histology received

Forum: ILC (Invasive Lobular Carcinoma) — Just diagnosed, in treatment, or finished treatment for ILC.

Posted on: Nov 27, 2021 09:37PM

Galway wrote:

Hi , I’ve had a mastectomy and immediate Diep reconstruction for Invasive lobular cancer - multi focal left breast with three small tumours 140mm 9mm and 5mm with extensive IL insituOne sentinel node with micrometastasis in one sentinel node less than 2mm . No radiation recommended and no chemo as oncotype score low . Am feeling anxious as I’ve read in your website that if sentinel node positive radiation recommended to reduce recurrence . Just wondering if I need second opinion to see if I should get some radiation to minimise risk of recurrence - grateful for any advice please

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)

Posts 1 - 3 (3 total)

Nov 30, 2021 05:50AM Moderators wrote:

Bumping for Galway's question. Can anyone offer advice/experience?

Galway, every cancer and every person is different. But you can definitely get a second opinion if you are concerned. You can read helpful tips on Getting a Second Opinion at the main Breastcancer.org site, including why, where and when to get them, and what to expect. We hope this helps!

The Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Nov 30, 2021 07:53AM LillyIsHere wrote:

Galway, I had 2 nodes positive (micro in one and ITC on the other) and I was told no radiation and no chemo. I am taking letrozole because of hormone-positive BC and also Zometa infusions every 6 months for 3 years. I think you are ok with current guidelines however, guidelines keep changing and what is the protocol today may not be in a couple of years. I am nervous too and I wanted radiation but I didn't insist since breast cancer was on my left side. I had 4 different opinions. I do believe everyone who is diagnosed with cancer should get at least 2 different opinions.

Good luck and keep us posted.

“Within five years, cancer will have been removed from the list of fatal maladies.” That was the optimistic promise to U.S. President William Howard Taft in 1910 when he visited Buffalo’s Gratwick Laboratory, “What’s taking so long?” Dx 7/31/2019, ILC, Left, <1cm, Stage IIA, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 9/19/2019 Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic ovary removal; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 11/29/2019 Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy

Nov 30, 2021 08:13AM ctmbsikia wrote:

Found on this site:

Radiation After Mastectomy Offers Benefits if Breast Cancer Has Spread to One to Three Lymph Nodes

And this:

Postmastectomy Breast Cancer Radiation Therapy - StatPearls - NCBI Bookshelf (nih.gov)

Definitely seems like a gray area. Hope this helps. Best wishes to you.

Dx 12/14/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 1/16/2018, LCIS, Right Surgery 1/30/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 4/10/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/25/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)