We are 217,836 members in 81 forums discussing 154,335 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Calling all triple negative breast cancer patients in the UK

Forum: Triple-Negative Breast Cancer —

Share with others who have ER-/PR-/HER2- breast cancer.

Posted on: Sep 12, 2010 07:43AM - edited Mar 20, 2019 04:47AM by sylviaexmouthuk

sylviaexmouthuk wrote:

With so many forums and threads on this site to go through for information, I thought it would be a good idea for all of us in the UK to form a forum specifically for us, and to give our details and experiences in a compact manner. Anyone else in the world is welcome to join in.

I was diagnosed with a very large tumour, triple negative, in 2005. I had pre-adjuvant chemotherapy, epirubicin, cyclophosphamide, and then docetaxel, followed by right breast mastectomy with removal of seven lymph nodes, only one affected, the sentinel node. I had three weeks of radiotherapy plus boosters. I had very few side effects from all of this treatment, except fatigue. I am still in the clear after 13 years and 09 months. I still live with fear of recurrence or spread, but I live a normal active life. If I can do it, so can you!

I would love to hear from anyone in the UK or anywhere else in the world. It would be useful to find out how many of us are affected with triple negatives and to share information, comfort and support.

Let your food be your medicine and your medicine be your food - Hippocrates B.C. 390 Preadjuvant chemo 3 months epirubicin, cyclophosphamide, 3 months docetaxel. Mastectomy RB Sentinel node pos Radiotherapy 3 weeks + boosters Dx 6/20/2005, IDC, 6cm+, Grade 3, 1/7 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 10/31/2005 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 5/16/2006 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 6/14/2006 Breast

Page 437 of 439 (13,158 results)

Posts 13081 - 13110 (13,158 total)

Mar 12, 2019 08:31AM Rosiecat wrote:

Hello Sylvia and all,

This is going to be very short, but I needed to keep you informed as to what was happening.

After each treatment I've needed antibiotics. These killed all the good bacteria in my gut. I'm now in hospital with Clostridiium difficile - C-diff. Last Thursday I was told I was extremely sick and there was a chance that I wouldn't respond to treatment as my body was very weak . Well, here I still am, but utterly exhausted.

Best wishes to everyone. I'll have another go at posting when I'm feeling better.

Love,

Gill X

Dx 8/24/2018, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 9/17/2018 Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 10/24/2018 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxol (paclitaxel)

Mar 12, 2019 08:50AM SusieW5 wrote:

Dear Gill,

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Love,

Susie

Dx 2/1/2018, IDC, Left, 6cm+, Grade 3, 1/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 2/13/2018 Lumpectomy Chemotherapy 4/19/2018 Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast

Mar 12, 2019 01:04PM sylviaexmouthuk wrote:

Hello Gill,

Thank you for posting. I was so sorry to read that you are in hospital and that you are so unwell. I was so sorry to read that you now have ci-difficile and that all those antibiotics have messed up your gut.

Please do not give up and you need to take things into your own hands to put back the good bacteria into your gut. You need to eat loads of plain organic unsweetened yogurt with live culture. Tell Michael to bring you in whatever he can find. Tesco does a plain soy yogurt and also a dairy one. At Holland and Barrett you can get Provamel. You could also get some kefir. In addition, you might want to take some Holland and Barrett probiotic supplements. I take acidophilus with pectin supplements with 3 billion friendly bacteria per capsule. Take them with food.

Keep fighting and think of all of us in our group sending you love and best wishes and supporting you back to good health.

Lots of love.

Sylvia xxxx

Let your food be your medicine and your medicine be your food - Hippocrates B.C. 390 Preadjuvant chemo 3 months epirubicin, cyclophosphamide, 3 months docetaxel. Mastectomy RB Sentinel node pos Radiotherapy 3 weeks + boosters Dx 6/20/2005, IDC, 6cm+, Grade 3, 1/7 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 10/31/2005 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 5/16/2006 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 6/14/2006 Breast

Mar 12, 2019 01:06PM sylviaexmouthuk wrote:

Hello Susie,

I did post the diagram from the BMA medical book and it is at the bottom of the previous page.

Love.

Sylvia xxxx

Mar 12, 2019 02:13PM viewfinder wrote:

Gill, I'm sorry to hear that you've been so sick and in the hospital. I pray you will fully recover. Keep fighting!

Dx 4/2018, IDC, Left, <1cm, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes Surgery 7/10/2018 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 9/14/2018 Hormonal Therapy 10/13/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery

Mar 12, 2019 02:16PM flgi wrote:

Dear Gill,

I was shocked to hear how ill you’ve been over the last week, but very glad to hear that your body is managing to fight the C-difficile.

You must be absolutely exhausted and overwhelmed by all that’s been going on.

I wish you all the very best- in continuing to beat these infections and in returning to a state of good health once more.

I’m rooting for you- I’m sure we all are.

Flora

IDC Er-Pr-Her2- 2cm 0/3 nodes Grade 3

Mar 13, 2019 06:01AM viewfinder wrote:

Sylvia, that chart is very interesting. I wish this fact was shown on the chart:

Excess body weight responsible for 4% of cancers worldwide

Dx 4/2018, IDC, Left, <1cm, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes Surgery 7/10/2018 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 9/14/2018 Hormonal Therapy 10/13/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery

Mar 13, 2019 07:17AM SusieW5 wrote:

So 96% of cancer isn't caused by fat?

Winking

Dx 2/1/2018, IDC, Left, 6cm+, Grade 3, 1/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 2/13/2018 Lumpectomy Chemotherapy 4/19/2018 Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast

Mar 13, 2019 07:27AM maryna8 wrote:

Hi Gill

so sorry you have come down with this c difficile. im glad you are getting treated. you must be weak as a newborn kitten. i hope you can eat and can take in some nourishment, and the probiotic food mentioned.

on the bright side,(however dim that seems right now) you have finished chemo.

still writing left-handed here. thinking of you and sending prayers. You have been thru so much in these last months. time for you to have some healing.

Love, Mary

Dx 2/2014, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 2/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 2/19/2014 Mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy 3/17/2014 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Mar 13, 2019 07:29AM viewfinder wrote:

Susie, Diet, which can be related to obesity, is 35%, higher than tobacco (30%) according to the chart.

Mar 13, 2019 07:39AM maryna8 wrote:

hi viewfinder

its odd maybe, but in thinking about the people i know who have,or had, cancer, (which seems a lot) only a couple of them could be called overrweight.maybe they are part of 4%

hope all is well with you and sis.

Love Mary

Dx 2/2014, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 2/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 2/19/2014 Mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy 3/17/2014 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Mar 13, 2019 07:53AM maryna8 wrote:

sylvia i wrote post but hit wrong key and it vanished. ill try again later. love Mary

Mar 13, 2019 08:05AM viewfinder wrote:

Mary, thanks for you continued concern about my sister:

She has 9 additional chemo appointments starting today: blood draws, Chemo #2-4, Chemo shot #2-4.

Radiation and third surgery coming up. I can't get it out of my mind that her surgeon has recommended a lumpectomy instead of a mastectomy, especially that she is triple negative and has the BRAC1 mutation.

I spoke with one of her dear friends and she shares the same concern as I. She is a cancer survivor and had a mastectomy. Others I've discussed this with including discussions in the a few threads in this forum, also have this concern.

I'm afraid to push this with my sister because, after all, she's going to one of the most respected cancer centers in the world. What the heck do I (and others) know??!!

PS It's a real shame this site doesn't offer autosave. I've sent several suggestions to the moderators that would enhance participant usability.

Mar 13, 2019 11:09AM maryna8 wrote:

hi Sylvia

I don't think it's being brave, I think of the surgery as a gamble, I'm gambling that I will lose function of rt. Arm for now, but it will be worth it later. I hope.

When I became 5 yrs NED of BC I thought it might be worth it to try and get more use from rt. Arm.

I hope you and Raymond are completely over your bug, in time for spring.

Love Mary

Mar 13, 2019 11:25AM maryna8 wrote:

viewfinder

I have noticed on some posters' histories they have lumpectomies and later have to have the whole breasr off. It's all about the clear margins. My surgery was going. To be lumpectomy but became mastectomy because there wasn't enough tissue to get good clean margins. Let us hope your sis's Docs know what they're doing and you say it's a very good hospital, they must have good Docs. Being BRCA 1 would make this all rather puzzling to me too,

Good idea about auto-save, I've wished for that too.

Love Mary

Mar 14, 2019 03:06AM SusieW5 wrote:

This is interesting:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-47553534

Susie

Mar 14, 2019 07:39AM sylviaexmouthuk wrote:

Hello Mary,

I do sincerely hope that everything will work out for you after this surgery and that you will regain full use of your right arm.

Thank you for thinking of Raymond and me. It took us four weeks to get over the nasty bug, but it has left us both feeling rather weary.

I have a problem with my right eye and have been told it is a sty and have been given Golden Eye ointment, an antibacterial, but it is taking its time to heal. I have been told it may have been caused by the bug.

Some days I feel full of energy and my normal self, and other days I feel fatigued. At the moment Raymond and I are taking astragalus supplements as they are immune boosters.

I think all this is minor compared to what some people are going through.

I am looking forward to nicer days and getting out more in the open.

I see from the posts that the diagram I posted from my BMA book has sparked quite a lot of conversation. I think it is quite obvious that the modern Western diet is one of the many causes and risk factors with breast cancer and is one that we can try to control. If we live on a diet of processed and over-processed foods plus junk food, we shall not be putting nutrients into our body. The chart does have a part saying 10% is caused by other factors. Being overweight and especially being obese will not be conducive to good health. We have to accept that we shall never really know what caused our own breast cancers and trying to find out is a waste of time. What I noticed here is that the men and women are built very differently to the men and women of my generation. I see so many obese people here. When I was going through treatment I saw a mixture of people, some very overweight and some slim like me.

I see we have another email from Chris Woollams but I have not read it in detail yet.

I was astonished yesterday when I was watching Prime Minister's Questions on the Parliament channel that one of the women MPs stood up and started to mention triple negative breast cancer. She asked the Prime Minister to intervene on behalf of one of her constituents with metastatic TNBC to get some new drug for her that was being refused. The Prime Minister said that the drug situation was not in her hands.

We are way behind with cancer treatment here and the MP said that the drug was available in countries like Germany and twenty other ones. This is shameful. The patient in question is obviously young with young children. I also think there should be much more attention paid to why so many younger women are getting breast cancer.

All the interest seems to be in creating more and more drugs but there is only so much that the body can withstand. However, drugs bring in money.

That is about all. I am still following Brexit and I cannot believe the shenanigans of our so called MPs. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Keep well Mary.

Love.

Sylvia xxxx

Mar 14, 2019 07:45AM sylviaexmouthuk wrote:

Hello Susie,

Thank you for posting that link. I have read it and printed it off to look at in more detail. I can see the theme running through it is more new drugs. I do not think that drugs are the answer. Finding the causes and emphasising prevention is the way to go, but that does not make money!

Love.

Sylvia xxxx

Mar 14, 2019 07:51AM sylviaexmouthuk wrote:

Hello viewfinder,

I do hope that your sister will make good progress.

Please remember that your sister should be in charge of her treatment and that if she would prefer a mastectomy then she should tell the consultant that is what she wants.

As for autosave, I mentioned that to the Moderators years ago. Now I write in Word (other programmes are available) saving as I go. I then copy and paste into the thread when I am done.

As for obesity it is a real problem in today's Western world.

Wishing you all the best.

Love.

Sylvia xxxx

Mar 14, 2019 12:40PM SusieW5 wrote:

Prevention is important but we need treatment for those for whom prevention is too late.

Susie

Mar 14, 2019 06:52PM viewfinder wrote:

Sylvia,

I've sent several suggestions to the mods. All they reply is that they "are passing along these suggestions to our tech team." My guess is that they can't make changes because there are massive numbers of posts and can't easily make changes behind the scenes.

I, too, write my replies before I post and paste them into to reply field. I use Notepad.

Mar 15, 2019 08:32AM - edited Mar 16, 2019 07:47AM by viewfinder

Sylvia,

I agree that my sister should be in charge of her treatment and that if she would prefer a mastectomy then she should tell the consultant. Just hope she is given all realistic options that would enable her to make the best decision. It is my understanding that TN can be a very aggressive cancer, and the results of her genetic test shows that she is further vulnerable including ovarian cancer.

She will be having a third surgery in the same breast sometime after he last chemo shot (#4) on April 26th, then followed by radiation treatment. This is good news:

According to an article at this site, Lumpectomy for Early-Stage Triple-Negative Disease Doesn't Seem to Increase Risk of Breast Cancer Coming Back in Same Breast:

"Many women and their doctors may automatically choose mastectomy for triple-negative disease because this type of breast cancer is more aggressive. It's reassuring to know that women who may prefer to have lumpectomy can make that choice without increasing the risk of local recurrence."

Mar 18, 2019 04:15AM sylviaexmouthuk wrote:

Hello viewfinder,

Thank you for your interesting post. It is always good to hear from you.

I think that it is a good idea when faced with breast cancer to try to get to NED with the minimum treatment possible.

I do wish you and your sister all the very best.

The thread has been very quiet all weekend.

Love Sylvia xxxx

Mar 18, 2019 05:11AM sylviaexmouthuk wrote:

Hello Mary,

I was just wondering how you are getting on and to say I hope you are making progress after your surgery. It must be difficult typing with your left hand.

I had a read of the latest Chris Woollams newsletter and picked up on a few things but I think I have read about them before. I was interested in reading, once again, about saturated fat and increased cancer risk. It does make you wonder what to believe. He mentions the growing trend in America by "Health Experts" who advocate high fat diets as a way of being healthier and beating chronic illness. He says that for cancer this is simple not supported by research evidence.

I tend to follow my own common sense and tend to keep away from meat, poultry and dairy foods where you will get most of the saturated fats, but make sure I have fat from oily fish, nuts and avocados and make sure I have this kind of fat when taking vitamin D as you need fat to absorb it.

He is also talking about the gut again and how you need an acid gut and alkaline body.

He further mentions all the health benefits of ginger. I use root ginger all the time and like to add pieces of it to ginger tea.

That is all for now. I am trying to push March forward to get into Springtime.

Thinking of you.

Love.

Sylvia xxxx

Mar 18, 2019 05:12AM sylviaexmouthuk wrote:

Hello Gill,

I do hope you are making progress. When you feel able please let us know how you are getting on.

Love.

Sylvia xxxx

Mar 18, 2019 08:24AM maryna8 wrote:

Sylvia

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/parliament-goes-chicken-on-brexit

i havent been keeping up with politics in general, i found this article on a site i like and it seems to explain things simply. do you agree with this man's view?

i think i have to be in top shape to keep up with politics, i'm finding light-hearted entertainment preferable for now.

it is tiring to write much with left hand. i am surprised at all the the things i can do with only my left hand, necessity is mother to invention i suppose.

wednesday i shall have stitches out and see what's next.

Like you i hope Gill is improving, she was seriously ill, perhaps we shall hear something soon.

https://www.canceractive.com/article/10-ways-to-improve-your-chemotherapy-success-and-reduce-side-effects

i linked to the above, but caution that anyone doing chemo should clear with doctor before trying anything like this. i also liked Chris's post on 25 epigenetic compounds to correct cancer, all foods and supplements.

closing for now, best wishes to all, later

Mary

Mar 18, 2019 08:42AM - edited Mar 19, 2019 05:48AM by viewfinder

Thinking of Mary and Gill and also hope you are making continued progress!

Susie, that cancer may be a constellation of 11 diseases is interesting. I agree with Sylvia, that it may be just another way to make money on drugs but time will tell. The way the body works is certainly mysterious.

Sylvia, the statement by your Prime Minister "that the drug situation was not in her hands" sounds flippant and ignorant to me, but maybe I misunderstand.

You should get a large group of women together, go to right to the PM office, and let her hear from cancer patients. I'd first contact the MP who mentioned TN for help about the best way to make this an issue to bring it to the attention of the PM, government officials and the general public. If it was well organized, I'd get the media involved. Her glib comment in response to a real problem for cancer patients in your country should be front page news. I did that a number of times before I was in public office. I would never respond to a constituent in that manner! But that's just me. (I'll take a trip to the UK to help organize...only kidding).

I haven't been following Brexit like I used to. My daughter slammed her finger in the car, went to an urgent care clinic and got six stitches (nothing broken, thank goodness). Needless to say, I'm been helping extra with the children who had the week off for spring break.

The article I found and posted the other day makes me feel more at peace about my sister's decision to have a lumpectomy.

Mar 19, 2019 04:25AM SusieW5 wrote:

The Times reports this morning that the percentage of women dying with breast cancer in this country has fallen sharply. We were starting from a low base, with one of the lowest survival rates in Europe, but we've now caught up and are up there with the EU average.

Of course, this could so easily reverse with all the problems facing the NHS, notably a shortage of staff with the Brexit nonsense.

Keep watching the skies!

Susie x

Mar 19, 2019 07:36AM sylviaexmouthuk wrote:

Hello Mary,

Thank you for your latest post. I shall have a look at the link you posted and let you know whether I agree with the man's view.

I have been following Brexit very closely since the referendum on June 23rd 2016 and have never really felt that Parliament would deliver on it. They have just dithered and dithered. There are 650 MPs and 500 of them are Remainers, so you can see the problem about getting any objectivity. I think what we need now is a General Election.

I can understand that you need light-hearted entertainment with all that you are going through. I feel like that as well but I cannot find anything truly funny on our television programmes. One series I did enjoy was Clunk on Britain, but that came to an end.

I can understand the problem with writing with your left hand. Because of the lymphoedema recurrence that I had in October 2017, but quickly passed, I do try to be careful with the lymphoedema right arm. I am left handed for writing and using a knife and fork but right handed for other things. I have been regularly vacuuming with my left arm and this has caused intermittent pain in the elbow!

I shall be thinking of you on Wednesday when you have your stitches out.

I do hope that we shall hear from Gill in the near future.

Thank you for the other link that I shall have a look at later today.

Cancer seems to be in the news this morning on Radio 4 8 am news. I looked online and found an article from the Daily Mail and it starts as follows: "A desperate shortage of clinical oncologists in the NHS is likely to have a detrimental impact on cancer patients, a report has warned."

It further says that there is a growing staffing problem and that by 2023 the workforce will be at least 22% short of cancer consultants.

The link is https://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/article-6824367/Cancer-patients-suffer-lack-consultants.html

Breast cancer was on the same news at 8 am. The news was that there has been a 13% reduction in breast cancer deaths in the latest statistics. This is being attributed to mammograms and earlier diagnosis. I am trying to find out more information. We need to know how many deaths there are now.

I am still trying to find the time to read the section from Chris Woollams newsletter entitled Bioactive foods stop cancer stem cells regrowing. I see that the particular article I printed out following the guide to more details is dated August 27 2016.

We are back to not too many posts.

Take care, Mary.

Love.

Sylvia xxxx

Mar 19, 2019 07:50AM sylviaexmouthuk wrote:

Hello viewfinder,

Thank you for your latest post.

The response that the Prime Minister gave at Prime Minister's Questions was really the only one she could give. She does not decide what cancer drugs will be made available and those that will not be available on the NHS. We have a body called NICE (The National Institute of Clinical Excellence) that decide what drugs will be allowed on the NHS. They have guidelines about treatment.

The statement by the MP was very brief, so I have no idea what the drug in question is. Under the NHS there will always be rationing even if it not called that. The NHS is in dire straits anyway. When it was introduced in 1948 it was a simple basic system based on treatment being free at the point of need, but it is certainly not free. At the moment I think it is overwhelmed by the number of patients and the lack of staff and funding. This country is overpopulated and there is waste and abuse on both sides.

I was interested to know that you have been in public office. What did you do?

I was sorry to read about your daughter and I do hope she will heal quickly.

I was glad to read that you feel more at peace about your sister's decision to have a lumpectomy, although I still find it unusual to have three lumpectomies, but I realise we are talking about two different countries and two different health systems.

That is all for now.

Love and greetings from the country of the absurd!

Sylvia xxxx

Page 437 of 439 (13,158 results)