Join Us

We are 224,943 members in 83 forums discussing 163,796 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Low ER+ and PR+ treating as triple negative

Forum: Triple-Negative Breast Cancer —

Share with others who have ER-/PR-/HER2- breast cancer.

Posted on: Jun 13, 2019 12:23PM

MattD77 wrote:

My wife was just diagnosed Invasive Ductal, Grade 3, Showing Neuroendocrine features. ER+ 7% PR+ 2%, Her2 Negative, Ki67 100%.

The oncologist wants to treat this as triple negative. She said that it is a grey area.

Has anyone else had a similar diagnosis and been treated for triple negative? Any info at all would be helpful.

Page 1 of 1 (14 results)

Posts 1 - 14 (14 total)

Jun 13, 2019 02:18PM Meow13 wrote:

In this case, I can see where treating it triple negative makes sense, also it is grade 3. Chemotherapy can really knock down this kind of cancer. Things can be done to lessen the side effects related to this cancer treatment route. Drugs for nausea, benedryl for allegeric reactions icing for hands and feet also cold capping tor saving your hair. If I ever find myself requiring chemo I will be proactive in reducing side effects.

Jun 14, 2019 05:15PM jessie123 wrote:

I have a friend who was estrogen 25% progesteron 0 and her2 negative. Her doctor was going to treat it as triple negative, but she got a second opinion at M.D. Anderson and they said it did not need to be treated that way.

Dx 11/2018, LCIS/ILC, Left, 2cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/21/2019 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 4/15/2019 Whole-breast: Breast

Jun 15, 2019 10:00PM - edited Jun 15, 2019 10:01PM by kathymd

Hi. I had a very similar profile as your wife and I was treated as a triple negative with chemotherapy (TC) after a bilateral mastectomy. It's very important to do the chemotherapy for low ER and for triple negatives. It's very effective. Research wearing cold mittens and slippers to avoid neuropathy — it worked for me! I also did cold caps but results weren't great. I am 7 weeks out from chemotherapy and hanging in there. I have been treated at Mayo Clinic. All my best to your wife.

Jun 15, 2019 11:27PM moth wrote:

Hi, glad you made it to this forum! I replied on your other thread but just wanted to wave hi. There are a handful of us in this boat here :)

I think almost all if not all of us did chemo. Where we diverged is whether to do tamoxifen/AI or not. I'm not but I think there are some very low ER peeps who are doing hormonal treatments.

My oncologist said this is an area for which there just isn't enough data to know what the best move is. I guess WE are the data that will guide treatments in future years...

I take weekends off

Initial dx at 50. Seriously?? “Sometimes the future changes quickly and completely and we’re left with only the choice of what to do next." blog: Never Tell Me the Odds

Dx 12/2017, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 12/12/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 2/13/2018 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 8/13/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Dx 2/2020, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to liver/lungs, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/18/2020 Taxol (paclitaxel) Immunotherapy 3/18/2020 Tecentriq (atezolizumab) Chemotherapy 11/25/2020 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 12/8/2020 External Dx 12/9/2020, IDC, Right, Stage IV, metastasized to lungs, Grade 3, ER+/PR-, HER2- (IHC) Hormonal Therapy 12/15/2020 Femara (letrozole) Dx 1/28/2021, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to bone Radiation Therapy 3/2/2021 External: Bone

Jun 16, 2019 03:53AM - edited Jun 17, 2019 07:32PM by Abbidoodle

This Post was deleted by Abbidoodle.

Jun 16, 2019 01:47PM Moderators wrote:

Abbidoodle, we are so sorry to hear about what you are going through. Our best advice would be to get another professional, medical opinion. Unfortunately we really can't say. It sounds like a second (or third) expert opinion would be the only option to ease your concerns. We wish we could offer more.

Thinking of you! Medicating

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Jun 17, 2019 09:54AM MattD77 wrote:

Thank you for all of the great responses and advice!

Jun 17, 2019 10:32AM Abbidoodle wrote:

Hi Matt. My Oncologist explained our to me this way. My Er+ was only 7%, PR negative, Her2 negative. They consider this triple negative because of the very small amount of estrogen receptor. But, on the small chance it is estrogen driven I will be receiving estrogen therapy when I finish my chemo and radiation. In other words, it couldn't hurt! I hope this helps.

Jun 17, 2019 10:44AM MattD77 wrote:

I don't think the onco is planning on hormonal therapy. Her suggestion from my understanding is just triple negative treatment which I understand to be heavy chemo and no hormone therapy. She is also suggesting a lumpectomy after the tumor shrinks. I guess that also takes a preventive hysterectomy off the table.

My wife seems to be okay with DX. In fact she wants the DX. The onco says that a DX has similar probability of return as a lumpectomy, that a lumpectomy is faster, and has a better recovery time. I guess her thinking is why do a DX if it does not changing the statistics.

Is this a new way of thinking? Does anyone have input on this logic?

From my thinking and what little bit I know so far it seems that if this is not hormone driven then why go after intense hormone treatments.

Both oncos that we saw said that post surgery will be the time to evaluate a lumpectomy vs a DX. So for now I guess it just means waiting. That also may mean a lumpectomy first.

Jun 17, 2019 01:07PM Meow13 wrote:

If she does a mastectomy she may be able to avoid radiation. I did that and a DIEP reconstruction.

Jun 17, 2019 05:23PM moth wrote:

Matt, I had a lumpectomy because my surgeon recommended it as his first choice. It is a much less invasive surgery, much lower risk of complications and infections etc. Lumpectomy + rads in my case had the same survival outcomes as a mastectomy.

And for the hormones, my oncology team met a whole bunch of times and conference called with other experts...their bottom line was that hormone therapy has known negative side effects & they could not recommend it given that there was little indication of a benefit. They did essentially leave it up to me, saying that if I felt strongly about taking it they woudl honor it but they could not make any recommendation eiter way. Abbidoodle: hormone therapy *can* definitely hurt. For ex, apart from a bunch of adverse effects which many women report as negatively impacting their day to day lives, tamoxifen raises the risk of endometrial cancer. Normally these risks are outweighed by the benefit gained from holding breast cancer at bay, but if the benefit is not clear due to low ER+ levels, the balance of risk/benefit starts shifting.

I take weekends off

Initial dx at 50. Seriously?? “Sometimes the future changes quickly and completely and we’re left with only the choice of what to do next." blog: Never Tell Me the Odds

Dx 12/2017, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 12/12/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 2/13/2018 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 8/13/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Dx 2/2020, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to liver/lungs, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/18/2020 Taxol (paclitaxel) Immunotherapy 3/18/2020 Tecentriq (atezolizumab) Chemotherapy 11/25/2020 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 12/8/2020 External Dx 12/9/2020, IDC, Right, Stage IV, metastasized to lungs, Grade 3, ER+/PR-, HER2- (IHC) Hormonal Therapy 12/15/2020 Femara (letrozole) Dx 1/28/2021, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to bone Radiation Therapy 3/2/2021 External: Bone

Jun 17, 2019 05:44PM ruthbru wrote:

I was 25% ER positive & negative for the rest. I had four rounds of AC, and did 5 years of Arimidex. That was awhile ago though so recommendations may have changed. I sort of felt that I had covered all the bases with that plan. (Also had a lumpectomy & rads, which was exactly the right decision for me.)

"Invisible threads are the strongest ties." Friedrich Nietzsche Dx 2/2007, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jun 17, 2019 07:36PM - edited Jun 17, 2019 07:38PM by Abbidoodle

Moth: I think the best thing for me right now is to complete all the chemo, do the radiation and them make a decision concerning hormone therapy. I, too believe with a 7% ER driven that it would probably be of little benefit. Thank you for your input and at least this is not a decision I need to make now.

Jun 18, 2019 10:01AM MattD77 wrote:

Moth, thank you that is very helpful.

Page 1 of 1 (14 results)