Join Us

We are 224,423 members in 83 forums discussing 163,544 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Chemo within 30 days of mastectomy

Forum: Triple-Negative Breast Cancer —

Share with others who have ER-/PR-/HER2- breast cancer.

Posted on: Sep 15, 2019 05:32PM - edited Sep 15, 2019 05:33PM by KTFBB

KTFBB wrote:

Hello everyone, new here and wondering if anyone's oncology team concur with the studies that recommend chemo begin within 30 days of surgery (study posted in this website) for TNBC. Is this anyones experience here?

Also, if yes,

Would electing a contralateral prophylactic mx cause a delay of >30 days in starting chemo? How soon after dmx can chemo begin?

Thank you for your help!

Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Log in to post a reply

Sep 15, 2019 05:46PM santabarbarian wrote:

Not sure re prophylactic MX question. Someone will know and chime in.

With TNBC all potential steps of treatment are considered important to do fairly rapidly. I had chemo first but my surgery was supposed to follow apx 30 days from my final chemo and my rads begin within ideally 30 days after that.

Good you found your way to this forum -- there is a lot of support and knowledge here.

Sorry to welcome you here, but welcome!

(If you do not get a surgery answer you could always post in surgery forum.)

pCR after neoadjuvant chemo w/ integrative practices; Proton rads. Dx 7/13/2018, IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Chemotherapy 8/12/2018 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 12/27/2018 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 2/10/2019 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes
Log in to post a reply

Sep 15, 2019 05:54PM - edited Sep 15, 2019 09:36PM by wrenn

I was told it should be done within 4 weeks of surgery. My surgery was August 16th and chemo was Nov. 25th so about 3 and a half months.

I had had a huge hematoma after my BMX that got infected and it broke through a weak area in my MX incision and they had to wait for it to heal. I then had complications from that first dose of chemo and was cut off. i doing fine 6 years later.

ETA: my oncologist said 4 weeks was the ideal but not a cut off date. He was fine giving it at the 90 something day mark. I would not stay with an oncologist who refused to stick to the 4 week mark

Metaplastic IDC Triple negative...Tumour is 1.5cm. BMX Aug. 16th. Chemo cancelled after one dose due to complications. Dx 7/25/2013, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/6 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 8/16/2013 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right
Log in to post a reply

Sep 15, 2019 08:40PM - edited Sep 15, 2019 08:40PM by Meow13

I was told if I didn't do chemo after 1 month it would not be offered again. I declined I am just fine 8 years later.

Sorry but I got a really bad vibe about the whole thing, the used car salesman vibe.

Log in to post a reply

Sep 16, 2019 06:07AM MountainMia wrote:

I had my first attempt at chemo 22 days after my lumpectomy. I reacted to the Taxotere on 3 attempts on 2 different chemo dates, so they nixed it and moved me on to AC, which started 36 days after my lumpectomy. Then radiation began about 45 days after my last chemo. It was delayed by my request for family reasons.

No one on my team has specifically talked about that research, but the scheduling makes me believe that yes, they concur and try to hold to it when possible.

The rain comes and the rain goes, but the mountain remains. I am the mountain.

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)