Join Us

We are 224,257 members in 83 forums discussing 163,468 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: near-pCR in triple negative - has anybody been diagnosed

Forum: Triple-Negative Breast Cancer —

Share with others who have ER-/PR-/HER2- breast cancer.

Posted on: Apr 11, 2020 04:44PM

eum123 wrote:

Have seen the term near pCR in a lot of papers, but not very clear what it actually means/how is it measured.

If your doctors has diagnosed you as such post chemo/surgery, can you please share your story?

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Apr 11, 2020 07:09PM MountainMia wrote:

pCR stands for Pathologic Complete Response. My understanding is that it is only used to refer to results when neoadjuvant -- or pre-surgical chemo -- is used. So it isn't a condition that would be described after surgery, only after chemo.

If you have specific questions, you can edit your post and maybe you will get some help with this. Good luck.

The rain comes and the rain goes, but the mountain remains. I am the mountain.

Apr 11, 2020 07:47PM Moderators wrote:

Indeed, as MountainMia suggested, Pathologic complete response (pCR) seems to be related to neoadjuvant treatment, however we have a question into our editorial team. What is your situation, and specifics, eum123?

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Apr 11, 2020 08:12PM - edited Apr 11, 2020 08:13PM by ShetlandPony

While waiting for that answer, I'll post some info. You had chemo, and then surgery, right? So the pathologist takes the tissue that the surgeon removed and looks to see if there are cancer cells there. If there are none, presumably the chemo worked really well and killed the cancer — the cancer responded completely and not just partially to the chemo. That is pathologic complete response. It is associated with a good prognosis going forward, and a lower chance of recurrence.

https://www.healio.com/hematology-oncology/breast-cancer/news/online/%7Bef518d49-a55c-4727-b19d-b383ad1e2859%7D/pathologic-complete-response-may-be-strong-surrogate-endpoint-for-breast-cancer-survival

https://www.cancer.gov/publications/dictionaries/cancer-terms/def/pathologic-complete-response

2011 Stage I ITCs sn, premenopausal, Oncotype 16. 2014 Stage IV mets breast,liver. TaxolNEAD. Ibrance+letrozole 2yrs. Fas+afinitor nope. XelodaNEAD 2yrs. Eribulin,Doxil nope. SUMMIT FaslodexHerceptinNeratinib for Her2mut NEAD Dx 2011, ILC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 2014, ILC, 2cm, Stage IV, metastasized to liver/other, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast Surgery Lumpectomy

Apr 11, 2020 08:17PM MountainMia wrote:

Thanks, ShetlandPony. You certainly explained it better than I did!

The rain comes and the rain goes, but the mountain remains. I am the mountain.

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)