Topic: Xeloda for "Maintenance" purposes (not Stage IV)

Forum: Triple-Negative Breast Cancer — Share with others who have ER-/PR-/HER2- breast cancer.

Posted on: Nov 2, 2021 02:14PM - edited Nov 5, 2021 08:04PM by serendipity09

Posted on: Nov 2, 2021 02:14PM - edited Nov 5, 2021 08:04PM by serendipity09

serendipity09 wrote:

I was given Xeloda last year for "maintenance" purposes, and to say that I had a difficult time on it is an understatement. After some adjustments to the dosage, I was taken off of it after only three cycles (we tried lower doses.) I was diagnosed with a recurrence in July. It was physically present a month after having stopped my last cycle of X, we just thought it was a suture that did not dissolve. I completed rads less than a month ago, and I'm scheduled to start Madame X on Monday.

Are there others out there that used it for precautionary reasons? If so, what, if any SE's did you experience? Any long term/permanent SE's? I'm very apprehensive about going back on it, but know that I have to try again.

I do realize there is a thread for Xeloda for stage IV, and I did ask questions at one point, but was reminded that it was a stage IV group. By no means do I want to diminish anyone's diagnosis with my temporary use of it.

"You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore, before you decide to be happy" - Nightbirde Dx IDC, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Page 11 of 14 (132 results)

Apr 18, 2022 12:13PM mamacure wrote:

How are you doing Serendipity? 7/7 still ok? I am halfway done and so far tolerable but starting to get cracks on fingers and discoloration on the bottom of my feet and pinky toes. I mostly wear socks and Birkenstocks & moisturizing as much as possible. Just startedcycle five I am seeing my doctor this week so hopefully my white blood cells are OK it’s been in the 2.0 range take care everyone!

DX 3/23/21 | IDC LEFT | IBC LEFT | ER-/PR-/HER-2- (FISH) | T4b(inflammatory)N1, overall stage IIIc | Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy April 2021 Taxol, Carbo, Ketruda | Chemo May 2021 Abraxane, Carbo, Keytruda ,AC | Integrative Oncology & Accupuncture

Apr 19, 2022 08:43PM serendipity09 wrote:

Hi Mamacure! I've been thinking about you. I'm so glad it's been tolerable for you!!

I'm still hanging in there! I'm halfway through cycle 6 and then only two more after that, so more than half of what I was able to complete the first time around. My skin is ok, hands are very dry, but pain in the feet is an issue. I have a feeling MO will stop me after this cycle. I'll know next week. I'd like to stick it out for the last two, and want to try the 14/7 again to get it over with.

"You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore, before you decide to be happy" - Nightbirde Dx IDC, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Apr 19, 2022 10:10PM mamacure wrote:

Hi Serendipity,

Glad to hear from you! If you combine the last and this time, does that equal close to the full cycle? My wbc went down again so my dose got reduced by -150mg (1 tiny pill). She is rechecking my wbc again next week so it might get reduced again. I don’t like the cracking & splitting fingers & dry cuticles but could be worse. I was able to walk today wearing HOKA shoes. I feel achy & fatigued after dinner time so I like to get in bed early to relax. I hope you can continue and finish up your cycles. Please keep us posted. Take care! Thinking of you too

DX 3/23/21 | IDC LEFT | IBC LEFT | ER-/PR-/HER-2- (FISH) | T4b(inflammatory)N1, overall stage IIIc | Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy April 2021 Taxol, Carbo, Ketruda | Chemo May 2021 Abraxane, Carbo, Keytruda ,AC | Integrative Oncology & Accupuncture

Apr 20, 2022 11:36AM serendipity09 wrote:

My first go of X wast 11/20 and the MO took me off on 12/31/20, my recurrence happened after so we had to start from the beginning :/ I hope you wbc goes up. I too am wiped out by the evening so I go to bed early too.

My fingers feel like sandpaper. I'm using beeswax salve, I believe I gave you the link or the name; Main Street Bee on Etsy. I love, it helps a lot. The owner is a gem.

I'll let you know what happens next week.

My best to you!

Apr 22, 2022 11:19AM mamacure wrote:

Hi Serendipity, I ordered the new salve, excited to try it! Thanks for the reminder. With this cycle 5, the roof of mouth is sore & muscle aches around shoulders, neck & back. Very dry under fingernails. Still able to cook & wash dishes with gloves on. Take care

Apr 22, 2022 07:14PM serendipity09 wrote:

Hi Mamacure! For the mouth sores I use Oral B mouth sore rinse; it has worked wonders for me. I started using it during my initial chemo and it truly was a saving grace.

I use the slave for under my fingertips and under the nails just to soothe them a bit.

My fingers look like prune within minutes when I wash dishes and take a shower.

<3

May 2, 2022 09:09PM mamacure wrote:

hi Serendipity!

My hands turn pruny too. Bottom of my feet are dark brown and both hand nails & toe nails are dry underneath. I like the Maine street bee salve, use it everyday now. I will get that mouth wash. Having diarrhea now, thrice now out & about had to run to the bathroom. Ugh. Also toe/feet hurt after walking today. Having a hard time opening jars & bottles & containers. Still way better than other chemo. This is my off week yay! 3 more cycles to go. Seeing my onc this wee. Hope you are doing well.

May 3, 2022 10:45AM serendipity09 wrote:

Hi Mamacure!

So glad you like the Maine Street Beeswax salve. Same here, opening jars is impossible, I bought a round plastic jar opener, it helps.

I didn't have any issues with diarrhea. My hands and feet are a little pink, but no big deal.

I start cycle 7 on Thursday, 7/7 and will do the 14 days for cycle 8 so I can just be done. Sounds like we'll finish around he same time. So glad ou were able to handle the 14/7.The last one will be rough for me, but it'll be worth it to be done. My body is tired and I need a couple months off od treatment before having surgery in August.

We've got this!

Here for you!!

May 6, 2022 10:50AM mamacure wrote:

Hi Serendipity,

I really hope to finish by early July, fingers crossed. 3 more to go. After reducing by 150mg last time my wbc really improved!!! It went from 1.8 to 3.2! Rich bone broth & new accupuncture also may have helped. I’ll take it. Next cycle Almost got delayed because onc Thought that I had a stomach infection based on my diarrhea. Test came back negative! I really needed some good news!! Take care keep us posted.

May 24, 2022 01:10AM mamacure wrote:

How are you Serendipity?

I finished cycle 6, mild nausea not bad. 2 more to go…latest SE is body tingling. Started after being stressed, now happens daily. Have you experienced it? Thanks.

Page 11 of 14 (132 results)

Scroll to top button