Topic: Xeloda for "Maintenance" purposes (not Stage IV)

Forum: Triple-Negative Breast Cancer — Share with others who have ER-/PR-/HER2- breast cancer.

Posted on: Nov 2, 2021 02:14PM - edited Nov 5, 2021 08:04PM by serendipity09

Posted on: Nov 2, 2021 02:14PM - edited Nov 5, 2021 08:04PM by serendipity09

serendipity09 wrote:

I was given Xeloda last year for "maintenance" purposes, and to say that I had a difficult time on it is an understatement. After some adjustments to the dosage, I was taken off of it after only three cycles (we tried lower doses.) I was diagnosed with a recurrence in July. It was physically present a month after having stopped my last cycle of X, we just thought it was a suture that did not dissolve. I completed rads less than a month ago, and I'm scheduled to start Madame X on Monday.

Are there others out there that used it for precautionary reasons? If so, what, if any SE's did you experience? Any long term/permanent SE's? I'm very apprehensive about going back on it, but know that I have to try again.

I do realize there is a thread for Xeloda for stage IV, and I did ask questions at one point, but was reminded that it was a stage IV group. By no means do I want to diminish anyone's diagnosis with my temporary use of it.

"You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore, before you decide to be happy" - Nightbirde Dx IDC, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Page 12 of 14 (138 results)

Jun 3, 2022 09:51AM serendipity09 wrote:

Hi Mamacure!

Sorry for the late response. I'm ok. I start my final cycle today, thank goodness.

I don't get body tingling. I hope it goes away!

My hands and feet are in a lot of pain and headaches are bad. Since it's my last cycle, I'll deal with whatever SE' with no complaints so I can get this over with. I'm so over it.

Enjoy your weekend!

"You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore, before you decide to be happy" - Nightbirde Dx IDC, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Jun 3, 2022 10:38PM hopeheal wrote:

Hi everyone, been so busy but now on cycle 5. Haven't had many symptoms except slight difficulty with fingers grabbing things, not really numb but kind of tingly. Also internal dryness causing increased heartburn potential and constipation potential, and external dryness around the lower face (looks chapped). I am also sometimes tired but not on every cycle. I find the greatest challenge is keeping the meds spaced apart, watching the 30 min post meal drug time, & spacing the Xeloda with the heartburn meds (2 hrs). Mamacure, so glad you are tolerating. Serendipity, congrats on last cycle! Healing dust to everyone.

ER weakly positive, being classified as triple negative. Dx 3/1/2021, IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/1/2021 Xeloda (capecitabine) Chemotherapy 4/6/2021 AC Surgery 9/1/2021 Lumpectomy (Left) Radiation Therapy 11/16/2021 Whole breast: Left breast, Lymph nodes

Jun 5, 2022 02:21PM serendipity09 wrote:

Hopeheal - thank you. So glad you are doing ok on X. I have found that the SE's are worse on my week off. This last cycle, even though I'm only a few days in, have really kicked my butt; cannot wait to be done as it's been a long ride.

I haven't been consistent with the 30 minutes after a meal. I do stick to 10-12 hours apart though.

Jun 5, 2022 09:20PM - edited Jun 5, 2022 11:52PM by hopeheal

Serendipity, nice to see you again! That's great you area good about distance between the dosages, I try but many times I am less (not less than 6 hours which is MO's limit). I find, as was said on the threads, that the cycles are cumulative. I am experiencing progressive tingling in fingers this cycle (not numb though), very strange. I find I really have to self-care - sleep, stay hydrated - to keep tiredness & dryness at a minimum. But on my off weeks, it's getting a bit longer to recover with each cycle. I am sorry you are feeling worse during your off-weeks.

Xeloda rocks if it works on possible mets. I don't think my Phosphatase would be climbing if it were taking a met down though, most likely the values would be dropping. For all those who don't know, I posted on the possible mets thread: https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/105/topic...

Thanks for posting and staying in touch!

ER weakly positive, being classified as triple negative. Dx 3/1/2021, IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/1/2021 Xeloda (capecitabine) Chemotherapy 4/6/2021 AC Surgery 9/1/2021 Lumpectomy (Left) Radiation Therapy 11/16/2021 Whole breast: Left breast, Lymph nodes

Jun 11, 2022 01:29AM mamacure wrote:

Hi Serendipity & Hopeheal!

Serendipity, woo hoo lastcycle!! It definitely has been a long journey.

Hopeheal, cycle 5 already!! I have a hard time drinking lots of water I wish I can double my current intake.

Next week is my rest week then final cycle! After that no scans, just 3 months checkups! I have dry cotton mouth at night, some mild constipation with some diarrhea. Also fatigue, so after getting my son out the door for school, I like to linger in bed until 10:30-11 watching live with Kelly & Ryan . My hands & feet are dry & big toe hurts I feel like 90 yrs old but good some days. Mild nausea. Thinking of you two! Hang in there we got this!

DX 3/23/21 | IDC LEFT | IBC LEFT | ER-/PR-/HER-2- (FISH) | T4b(inflammatory)N1, overall stage IIIc | Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy April 2021 Taxol, Carbo, Ketruda | Chemo May 2021 Abraxane, Carbo, Keytruda ,AC | Integrative Oncology & Accupuncture

Jun 11, 2022 07:24PM serendipity09 wrote:

Hi Mama!

Yes, Thursday cannot come soon enough for me. it has definitely been a long ride. This last cycle has hit me like a ton of bricks.

I won't be getting any scans either unless something warrants it, with the exception of the CT scan to see the stomach blood vessels for my DIEP surgery. I see the MO and have lab work done on Monday. Then she'll see me every 3 months.

I hope your last cycle goes smoothly for you.

Hopeheal, hope all is well on your end!

Hugs<3

Jun 13, 2022 07:17PM serendipity09 wrote:

Done with Xeloda!!! I was in bed all day yesterday as I couldn't walk due to bone pain and numbness. Saw MO today and she feels that three days is not going to make a difference. Time to heal.

Jun 13, 2022 10:22PM lw422 wrote:

Hi Ivy!! I saw your post and had to say "YIPPEE!!!" I'm so glad you're done and I hope you feel much better soon. Sending love, hugs and caring throughts to you, MamaCure and others dealing with X!

Dx IBC, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Jun 14, 2022 02:12AM mamacure wrote:

woop woop yay Serendipity great job!!!!! You did it! I’m sorry that it was so hard. You have been thru a lot. A big virtual hug for you. I hope Diep surgery goes well & you heal quickly. Keep us posted.

Thanks LW, I’m enjoying my off week before my final cycle.

DX 3/23/21 | IDC LEFT | IBC LEFT | ER-/PR-/HER-2- (FISH) | T4b(inflammatory)N1, overall stage IIIc | Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy April 2021 Taxol, Carbo, Ketruda | Chemo May 2021 Abraxane, Carbo, Keytruda ,AC | Integrative Oncology & Accupuncture

Jun 14, 2022 01:31PM norcals wrote:

Serendipity, big hug for you. I know you’ve had a tough time on Xeloda and I am so happy you got through it. It is definitely time for healing.

Mamacure, so glad that you’re almost done as well. It really is a relief when the last cycle is finished. Let us know how you’re doing after you’re finished

Dx 6/17/2019, IDC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 6/24/2019 AC + T (Taxol) Chemotherapy 4/6/2020 Xeloda (capecitabine) Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Page 12 of 14 (138 results)

Scroll to top button