Topic: Xeloda for "Maintenance" purposes (not Stage IV)

Forum: Triple-Negative Breast Cancer — Share with others who have ER-/PR-/HER2- breast cancer.

Posted on: Nov 2, 2021 02:14PM - edited Nov 5, 2021 08:04PM by serendipity09

Posted on: Nov 2, 2021 02:14PM - edited Nov 5, 2021 08:04PM by serendipity09

serendipity09 wrote:

I was given Xeloda last year for "maintenance" purposes, and to say that I had a difficult time on it is an understatement. After some adjustments to the dosage, I was taken off of it after only three cycles (we tried lower doses.) I was diagnosed with a recurrence in July. It was physically present a month after having stopped my last cycle of X, we just thought it was a suture that did not dissolve. I completed rads less than a month ago, and I'm scheduled to start Madame X on Monday.

Are there others out there that used it for precautionary reasons? If so, what, if any SE's did you experience? Any long term/permanent SE's? I'm very apprehensive about going back on it, but know that I have to try again.

I do realize there is a thread for Xeloda for stage IV, and I did ask questions at one point, but was reminded that it was a stage IV group. By no means do I want to diminish anyone's diagnosis with my temporary use of it.

Chemotherapy 4/1/2020 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 9/17/2020 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left): Tissue Expander; Reconstruction (Right): Tissue Expander Chemotherapy 11/3/2020 Xeloda (capecitabine) Surgery 7/9/2021 Reconstruction (Left); Reconstruction (Right) Chemotherapy Xeloda (capecitabine) Chemotherapy Carboplatin (Paraplatin) Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Page 3 of 12 (120 results)

Nov 15, 2021 09:34PM serendipity09 wrote:

Hi Mamacure! Was logging in to update. I was not able to start madame X last week due to a scare. I discovered a blemish on my breast last weekend and panic mode set in. An emergency biopsy, PET Scan and brain MRI all came back negative and I was given the ok to start tomorrow. After last week, I'm ready to get this going and get some more protection in me to prevent this beast from coming back. Thanks for asking. I'll keep you posted.

Chemotherapy 4/1/2020 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 9/17/2020 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left): Tissue Expander; Reconstruction (Right): Tissue Expander Chemotherapy 11/3/2020 Xeloda (capecitabine) Surgery 7/9/2021 Reconstruction (Left); Reconstruction (Right) Chemotherapy Xeloda (capecitabine) Chemotherapy Carboplatin (Paraplatin) Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Nov 16, 2021 12:35AM norcals wrote:

Serendipity,

I hope things go well with Xeloda for you. Hugs

Dx 6/17/2019, IDC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 6/24/2019 AC + T (Taxol) Chemotherapy 4/6/2020 Xeloda (capecitabine) Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Nov 16, 2021 01:04AM blue22 wrote:

Hi Serendipity - good luck with X!

Dx 1/2019, IBC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 2/15/2019 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel), Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxol (paclitaxel) Dx 7/30/2019, IDC/IBC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, 4/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/30/2019 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left) Dx 8/2019, DCIS, Right, <1cm, Stage 0, ER+/PR+ Radiation Therapy 10/8/2019 Targeted Therapy Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy Xeloda (capecitabine)

Nov 16, 2021 08:50AM serendipity09 wrote:

Thank you NorCalS and blue22!

Just took my first dose

Nov 16, 2021 12:49PM lw422 wrote:

Good luck, Serendipity!! I hope it goes much better for you this time. I wish you weren't starting with preconceived notions due to your SEs last time, but I'd be dreading it, too. Hugs and best wishes!

I somewhat expected to be put on Xeloda after radiation since I'm considered TN (low PR+), but my MO didn't believe it would benefit me. Apparently a TN patient who achieves PCR with chemo doesn't get Xeloda, at least from my doctor. I'm glad to not have to take it, but ending treatment is scary.

Surgery 8/23/2021 Lymph node removal (Right): Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy (Right) Dx IBC/IDC, Right, Stage IIIB, ER-/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy Right breast, Chest wall, Lymph nodes

Nov 16, 2021 05:52PM mamacure wrote:

That was scary Serendipity but you must be so relieved! Take it easy this week! I’m dreading it but also thankful for its whole body protection due to my positive nodes.

LW, so glad you won’t need it!! You are a neojuvant success story

DX 3/23/21 | IDC LEFT | IBC LEFT | ER-/PR-/HER-2- (FISH) | T4b(inflammatory)N1, overall stage IIIc | Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy April 2021 Taxol, Carbo, Ketruda | Chemo May 2021 Abraxane, Carbo, Keytruda ,AC | Integrative Oncology & Accupuncture

Nov 17, 2021 08:16PM serendipity09 wrote:

I had a bad day yesterday, was in bed all day. I felt like I had the flu. Today I woke up feeling just fine. Only SE (?) so far seems to be a really bad headache. I started having headaches during rads and they continued, but today's headache has been really intense. Other than that, I feel ok. Hoping that it stays like this, but again, it's only day 2. We shall see.

Have great night!

Nov 17, 2021 10:38PM mamacure wrote:

Oh no in bed all day Serendipity! I hope that is behind you, glad to hear that you are better. Sorry to hear about the headaches too. Did doc tell you to take anything for heartburn/acid reflex? Also may I ask what dosage you are on? Take it easy!

DX 3/23/21 | IDC LEFT | IBC LEFT | ER-/PR-/HER-2- (FISH) | T4b(inflammatory)N1, overall stage IIIc | Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy April 2021 Taxol, Carbo, Ketruda | Chemo May 2021 Abraxane, Carbo, Keytruda ,AC | Integrative Oncology & Accupuncture

Nov 18, 2021 01:15AM norcals wrote:

Serendipity,

If the headaches persist during your week off Xeloda, let your MO know so that you get a brain MRI just in case. Headaches are not a common side effect of Xeloda, but it definitely hit me especially in the beginning. Make sure that’s all it is. Once I had the MRI and it was clear, I was able to deal with the headaches better

Dx 6/17/2019, IDC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 6/24/2019 AC + T (Taxol) Chemotherapy 4/6/2020 Xeloda (capecitabine) Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Nov 18, 2021 11:10AM serendipity09 wrote:

NorCalS - thank you! I am documenting the timing and intensity of the headaches and will be sure to let the MO know if they decrease during my off week. I had a brain MRI a week ago tomorrow because the headaches started during radiation, but they have definitely intensified since starting X.

I had a bad night last night. Woke up at 1:30am feeling very heavy and anxious. It was a little scary.

What I'm finding difficult is the timing of having to take the meds 10-12 hours apart and 30 minutes after a meal. First, I have no appetite whatsoever and am forcing myself to eat first thing in the morning, makes me feel gross, if that makes sense. Second, I eat dinner at 5pmish and that's too early to take my second dose unless I'm getting up at 5am to be able to take my second dose at 5:30pm. UGH! Never-ending!

Mamacure - thanks! I'm currently taking 3000mg. I was on 3500mg last year and did not do well at all This dosage has been very tolerable thus far. MO did not discuss heartburn or acid reflux.

Page 3 of 12 (120 results)

Scroll to top button