Topic: Xeloda for "Maintenance" purposes (not Stage IV)

Forum: Triple-Negative Breast Cancer — Share with others who have ER-/PR-/HER2- breast cancer.

Posted on: Nov 2, 2021 12:14PM - edited Nov 5, 2021 06:04PM by serendipity09

Posted on: Nov 2, 2021 12:14PM - edited Nov 5, 2021 06:04PM by serendipity09

serendipity09 wrote:

I was given Xeloda last year for "maintenance" purposes, and to say that I had a difficult time on it is an understatement. After some adjustments to the dosage, I was taken off of it after only three cycles (we tried lower doses.) I was diagnosed with a recurrence in July. It was physically present a month after having stopped my last cycle of X, we just thought it was a suture that did not dissolve. I completed rads less than a month ago, and I'm scheduled to start Madame X on Monday.

Are there others out there that used it for precautionary reasons? If so, what, if any SE's did you experience? Any long term/permanent SE's? I'm very apprehensive about going back on it, but know that I have to try again.

I do realize there is a thread for Xeloda for stage IV, and I did ask questions at one point, but was reminded that it was a stage IV group. By no means do I want to diminish anyone's diagnosis with my temporary use of it.

"You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore, before you decide to be happy" - Nightbirde Dx IDC, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Page 9 of 14 (132 results)

Jan 27, 2022 12:22PM serendipity09 wrote:

Mamacure - just wondering how you're doing? I hope you are tolerating it ok with no/minimal SE's.

I was supposed to restart today, but the ortho decided that he's going to address the capsulitis in my shoulders next Friday, which will require me to be put under general anesthesia, so it looks like I won't start my next cycle until 2/11. She did, howeve,r agree to change me to 7/7.

My fingers are just now starting to peel, nothing terrible though. I lost my finger prints from the beginning. I find it odd that I've been off for over 2 weeks and I'm just now getting a bit of H/F.

"You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore, before you decide to be happy" - Nightbirde Dx IDC, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Jan 27, 2022 08:40PM mamacure wrote:

Hi Serendipity,

I hope your shoulder surgery goes OK and you can put it behind you.I’m glad to hear that you are on seven days on seven days off I hope I can do that too later on. It’s been almost 4 days and so far so good. I don’t like having to eat so late at night. So it sounds like your hand and foot issues started after cycle four. I ordered silicon socks just in case. Take care and thanks for the Etsy link!

DX 3/23/21 | IDC LEFT | IBC LEFT | ER-/PR-/HER-2- (FISH) | T4b(inflammatory)N1, overall stage IIIc | Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy April 2021 Taxol, Carbo, Ketruda | Chemo May 2021 Abraxane, Carbo, Keytruda ,AC | Integrative Oncology & Accupuncture

Jan 27, 2022 09:03PM serendipity09 wrote:

Mama- glad to hear that everything is good so far. Seems to be tolerated by so many so well, I really pray it is for you.

H/F started after 3rd cycle. I won't start 4th cycle until 2/11. I'm thinking maybe I should get some silicone gloves now. I have been religious about greasing my feet up everyday and wearing the silicone socks and no issues with my skin on my feet, thus far.

Re; eating. I eat something in the morning round 8-8:30 and then aim to eat a piece of toast w/peanut butter, yogurt or fruit around 7/7:30pm. MO and pharmacist both told me it was ok to take10 hours apart, which makes it easier at times for me.

I hope you like the salve, that is, if you buy it

Jan 28, 2022 10:01PM hopeheal wrote:

Wishing you luck on your Xeloda course Mamacure! Glad it's good so far. I start next week. Eating at odd times does sound crummy. Thank you Serendipity for your food schedule though, it sounds like something I could do.

ER weakly positive, being classified as triple negative. Dx 3/1/2021, IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/1/2021 Xeloda (capecitabine) Chemotherapy 4/6/2021 AC Surgery 9/1/2021 Lumpectomy (Left) Radiation Therapy 11/16/2021 Whole breast: Left breast, Lymph nodes

Jan 28, 2022 10:14PM serendipity09 wrote:

Hopeheal - I stressed out last year because I was sticking to 12 hours apart and told the MO I wanted off as the schedule was too stressful, lol, that's when she told me I could do 10 hours apart. I'm not one who likes to eat anything too close to bed time. I hope it works for you and that you do well with no/minimal SE's.

Jan 29, 2022 05:49PM mamacure wrote:

Hi Serendipity & HopeHeal,

I heard that 10 hours apart is ok too. I hate eating early in the am & late at nite but this too is temporary. I eat oatmeal with nuts in the am and yogurt with granola before taking the pm dose (after dinner). I take vit 6 before the am dose. I heard SE start at cycle 3 so that makes sense Serendipity. I’m glad to hear that your feet are doing good. I better start moisturizing better. I hope my gut won’t be too much affected. HopeHeal, what is your dose if you don’t mind me asking. I hope it goes smoothly for you. Have a nice weekend!

DX 3/23/21 | IDC LEFT | IBC LEFT | ER-/PR-/HER-2- (FISH) | T4b(inflammatory)N1, overall stage IIIc | Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy April 2021 Taxol, Carbo, Ketruda | Chemo May 2021 Abraxane, Carbo, Keytruda ,AC | Integrative Oncology & Accupuncture

Jan 31, 2022 11:11PM mamacure wrote:

Hi, starting week 2, some headaches starting in the afternoon and thru the evening. Keep forgetting to take vitamin b6 in the morning.

-moderate headaches

-mild nausea, not bad

-Slight drop in energy (still able to walk, don’t want to do chores

-Chemo gas is back ugh

How’s everyone doing? Hopeheal did you start?

Feb 1, 2022 09:04AM serendipity09 wrote:

Mamacure - Make sure you are drinking a lot of water I notice that staying very hydrated makes a difference.

Funny enough my h/f on my hands seems to have progressed, not horribly, but some cracking of the the thumb and peeling on other fingers, and I've been on a break for 3 weeks now.

If my feet didn't feel like they were breaking I'd be walking, I didn't think I'd still be struggling with SE's like this, but I need to get through this and get it done.

Hoping things don't get worse for you!

Feb 1, 2022 08:51PM mamacure wrote:

Ouch ouch your feet, sorry to hear that! I’m trying to get my walking in now before h&f issues come up. Good advice, I’m trying to drink more water but struggling. Thanks Serendipity.

Feb 2, 2022 08:54PM norcals wrote:

Serendipity and Mamacure,

I walked 3-4 miles almost every day (took a day off the day after infusions) during AC-T, lumpectomy and radiation. During Xeloda, I had to decrease to 2 miles every day, then near the end of Xeloda I walked about 1 mile and was down to walking 2 miles only near the end of my week off and beginning of new cycle. I had to give my feet a break. For me, I had foot pains at the end of the day if I pushed myself too hard, so I knew I had to take it easy for the rest of the cycle. Try to do what you can, but take the break when you need to. My MO made me take an extra week off half way through to prevent H&F from getting worse

Dx 6/17/2019, IDC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 6/23/2019 AC + T (Taxol) Chemotherapy 4/6/2020 Xeloda (capecitabine) Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Page 9 of 14 (132 results)

Scroll to top button