Join Us

We are 224,949 members in 83 forums discussing 163,798 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: MRI contrast dye and kidney function?

Forum: Clinical Trials, Research News, Podcasts, and Study Results —

Share your research articles, interpretations and experiences here. Let us know how these studies affect you and your decisions.

Posted on: Jul 5, 2007 11:06AM

cp418 wrote:

Has anyone heard or read anything in the news regarding concerns with the contrast dye used during breast MRI?

I has one scheduled next week and nurse just called asking me kidney functions questions and when I stopped chemo. She said these questions regard recent news about the contrast dye causing kidney problems and cannotbe used in patients already compromised. Anyone hear anything? Joann Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)

Posts 1 - 3 (3 total)

Jul 6, 2007 09:09AM rrs wrote:

I read something about it being a possible side effect but that's all. I think drinking a lot of water before and after was mentioned. I think it is work researching but the MRI is a valuable test.

Jul 6, 2007 09:20AM rrs wrote:

Gadolinium is the contrast agent used. You can search the internet with "gadolinium breast MRI" for more information.
It is not recommended for people with kidney disease. Otherwise, the SE's aren't too bad. I did have irritation in my arm where the agent was injected but it was temporary. The doctor said later that in order to avoid vein problems, they (whoever does the MRI) should flush the vein with lots of saline before removing the IV.

Jul 6, 2007 03:29PM cp418 wrote:

rrs - Thank You, I will certainly ask to have the saline flush before removal. Joann

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)