We are 164,752 members in 80 forums discussing 129,331 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Clinical Trials, Research Studies, News, and Study Results → Topic: DR. ASEA-VERY PROMISING DRUG

Forum: Clinical Trials, Research Studies, News, and Study Results —

Share your research articles, interpretations and experiences here. Let us know how these studies affect you and your decisions.

Posted on: Jan 19, 2010 02:36PM - edited Jan 19, 2010 02:39PM by Maryiz

Maryiz wrote:

This sounds very promising to me.  Anyone else?  Maryiz

Scott And White Healthcare Researcher Finds Success With New Anti-Cancer Drug

Main Category: Cancer / Oncology
Also Included In: Breast Cancer;  Immune System / Vaccines
Article Date: 23 Dec 2009 - 3:00 PST

email icon email to a friend   printer icon printer friendly   write icon view / write opinions 

Current Article Ratings:

Patient / Public:4 and a half stars

4.22 (9 votes)

Health Professional:not yet rated

Article Opinions: 0 posts

A study conducted at Scott and White Healthcare in Temple, Texas, found that a new drug stopped the growth of breast tumors in mice. This drug is unique in that it works both by stopping the cancer cells from growing and metastasizing to other organs, and by stimulating the immune system to destroy breast cancer cells and keeps them from coming back. This is the only drug that's able to work in both ways, while all other treatments work in one way or another. And, this research initiative not only involves physicians and biologists working together to bring treatments from the laboratory to the bedside, but a unique third component - agriculturalists. 

Researcher Alexzander Asea, Ph.D., the Effie and Wofford Cain Endowed Chair in Clinical Pathology, and division chief of investigative pathology at Scott & White Healthcare and the Texas A&M Health Science Center, said "we found that some of the mice were essentially cured." 

"All anti-cancer drugs broadly fall into two categories; either directly killing cancer cells (often healthy cells as well), or vaccines that help sick patients by boosting the immune system to better fight off cancer. This new drug works both ways, as a vaccine by taking away the cancer cell ability to grow, multiply and spread to distant organs, and by educating the immune system to recognize the breast cancer cells as 'foreign invaders' that need to be attacked and destroyed - and to continue that process over time," Dr. Asea said. 

Dr. Asea went on to say "breast cancer cells fly under the radar of the immune system, by turning off the machinery that normally puts recognition structures on the surface of cancer cells which the immune system uses to recognize and destroy them. To overcome this problem, this injectable drug turns on this machinery within the cancer cells allowing the immune system to recognize the cancer cells and kill them. The unique thing is that the revved-up immune cells will continue patrolling for any hidden cancer cells months and years after the last cancer cells have been killed," Dr. Asea said. 

"Collaborating with the agricultural community on this research also allows us to use a special delivery mechanism of the drug that doesn't cause the negative side effects you see with more traditional treatments like chemotherapeutic agents," explained Dr. Asea. 

Dr. Asea said only about one year of additional work is required before Phase I clinical trials can begin in women with metastatic breast cancer at Scott & White Hospital. "However, this stage requires a significant amount of funding. We're currently looking at various sources including federal, state and private sources to get this promising drug to the patients who need it." 

Katherine Voss
Scott & White Health

Page 1 of 2 (46 results)

Posts 1 - 30 (46 total)

Jan 19, 2010 02:47PM RobinWendy wrote:

sounds awesome! Now that's a "charity" I can get behind!!  Only a year until Phase 1 trials? Let's hope we can all hold on so we can take advantage of this new therapy in the near future.

dx Stage II primary BC in Jan. 2001;dx with DCIS on other breast in Jan. 2003; dx with mets to lungs in Jan. 2004 and in May 2007, mets spread to liver. Dx ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 19, 2010 07:33PM cp418 wrote:

This drug certainly does need more funding!!  This story does sound familiar and I think I recall reading about it before.

What about the Susan Komen foundation getting involved?  How can we as BC patients who support that organization get them to send our funding to this research project?

To me, nothing would be more criminal than to let all this research simply fall by the way side for publication only in some medical journals. How infuriating to read earlier protein or immune research previously identified many years ago - - - which then went no where due to lack of funding.  I pray that doesn't happen to this promising data!!

Jan 19, 2010 09:56PM dreamwriter wrote:

If this is in any way valid, there are plenty of research dollars available.  There are channels to take and skipping those channels to get a drug into phase 1 trials.  Why are they not using their data to get into a major university or into a cancer centre.  I really think that we should report the post, however, it does not outright ask for funds from us.  But it is implied.

Laugh until it really IS funny. Dx 12/20/2005, 6cm+, Stage IV, Grade 3, 18/18 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 21, 2010 08:36AM cp418 wrote:

Jan 21, 2010 12:06PM Maryiz wrote:

All of these promising therapies require millions of dollars in research.  This article was in no way a plea for money.  Dr. Asea has an impeccable reputation.  Susan Komen and others solicit money from us, so why not a brilliant researcher.  We want a cure.  Many of the published articles will note at the end of the piece that they need funding.  This is a fact of life.  Many brilliant cancer centers have a spot right on their website for a donation.  Please do not shoot the messenger.  Maryiz

Feb 27, 2010 07:27PM hreneeowen wrote:

Dear Dreamwriter and other readers. 

Dr. Asea is a personal friend of mine and spoke at my cancer survivior retreat last year and is schedule to speak again in September. Everyone was riveted by what he was sharing.  He is such a blessing to us with breast cancer.  We are trying as a grass roots effort to help him raise the 5.5M needed to do the clinical trials.  This is an awesome thing that he has done, using our own immune system to help to fight cancer.  If any of you out there have any info on how to raise funds of this magnitude, we could use some help.  What our grass roots group is afraid of is that the drug companies do not want this substance to be devolped since it is not a big chemo drug.  Dr. Asea is to speak in Switzerland, Singapore, and London this year.  He is trying to share the news so others will get excited like we are here.  Help us to help other women with breast cancer.  He has completed two animal trials and the facilities to make this substance is here at the Bioscience Center here in Temple, TX.  We just need the money to get the clinical trials going so we can help those who are fighting cancer.  Thanks, Renee

Feb 28, 2010 09:57AM Timothy wrote:

Very interesting research.  Not a lot of details on the substance(s) at work.  That $5.5M is a lot of money.  Hopefully it can be done soon.

How come there is no money in such research?  Can't some commercial interest in it be promoted to investors?

Concerned husband

Feb 28, 2010 11:51AM crazy4carrots wrote:

Renee -- I don't quite understand your concern that the big pharma companies wouldn't be interested in pursuing this research because it wouldn't be a "big chemo drug".  Perhaps the concern is, rather, that Dr. Asea would likely have to agree to sign over the rights, and thus the potential profit.  Pharma would jump at the chance to carry on the work of the discoverer of what could potentially be a very big moneymaker, especially as they didn't have to do the original work.

Has he applied to the NIH, NCI, ACS or any of the leading funding bodies?  Have any other scientists anywhere else in the world taken his premise and tried to duplicate his work in the lab?  They do all keep in touch.  Just wondering.....

Another question:  Wondering why Texas A&M isn't stepping up to the bat in funding this research?  If the original work was done in its labs, by someone on its payroll, the University must have some intellectual property rights to it.....

Hope something really good comes of this.

Certain politicians and all diapers should be changed often -- and for the same reason. Dx 1/10/2008, ILC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Mar 10, 2010 08:38AM hreneeowen wrote:

The big pharma companies do not want a "cure" for breast cancer.  Their ongoing monies would be eliminated.  AND, what Dr. Asea has is a cure for breast cancer.  It gives us great hope for our daughters who could be vaccinated and not get breast cancer.

You question is the same as mine about Texas A&M and other local entities.  Why would anyone not want to be in on the ground floor of this amazing research.  After a two hour meeting with Dr. Asea yesterday, he said that this research has been duplicated and he is just waiting on the funds to to be able to do the clinical trials.  There are four of us beginning this grass roots effort to find the funding.  Once someone takes the chance to get on board others will. 

Yes, he has applied for grants, one through the state of Texas (that 3 billion allocated last year for Texas Research) and another gov't grant submitting soon.  ACS will not give him any money and the Komen Foundation turned him down.  He was one of 100 submitting last year and got down to to the last three and then was not given a penny.  What  a disappointment with Komen since this is breast cancer research.

Scott and White already own the patent to the new drug and have a GMP lab to make the drug.  Just waiting on funding and in the meantime...women are dying with this terrible disease.

Thanks for you good wishes.  We are trying very hard to find a benefactor like Dr. Slamon did in LA in the 1990's when he developed Herceptin.

Mar 10, 2010 09:20AM Maryiz wrote:

Renee, do you know if they have applied to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation, who have a stellar rating as far as bc organizations go and are focused on the cure, not "awareness." I don't understand that Komen wouldn't give him a penny.  Can anyone help me with understanding the research a little more; if it seems it is a real potential for a cure, why isn't this being fasttracked?  If this has real potential, we all need to join the grass roots effort.  Anyone with more information, I would love to hear it, I am just not that educated on this treatment.  Thank you all.  Maryiz

Mar 10, 2010 09:30AM cp418 wrote:

Sounds like some politics in the back ground are taking priority over saving lives...  Frown

Mar 10, 2010 12:48PM hope4us wrote:

DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF THIS IS FOR REAL???? Many cures were found for mice, but we all know that didn't translate for us humans. Does Dr. Asea have convincing results that make it likely for it to work on humans? Or is there something about this that the NIH and non-profits see to make them trun it down?  I am ignorant about this funding process, but I am growing skeptical with this because ground breaking as this seems, where is the publicity effort, such as a website that shows us actual results, progress made thus far, who has duplicated the study, next step, etc. etc? I don't know, I'm actually hurt by the implications of this politics garbage.

Dx 12/6/2008, IDC, 3cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 10, 2010 12:53PM pip57 wrote:

Contrary to what most conspiratists think, there will always be a mother lode of money to be made with a cure for any cancer.  Look at the billions we spend on things that may 'possibly' help prevent or slow down cancer.

Can you imagine how many companies would be clamouring even a partial stake in the real thing.  To be able to keep us all alive long enough to make use of all their other medications would be benefit enough.  

PIP - multi focal, FEC100/Tax, rads, dble mast with no recon, ooph/hyst, arimidex Dx 2/1/2007, DCIS/IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 9/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 10, 2010 01:33PM leprechaun wrote:

hope4us, yes, there might be a problem in a transition from mice to the humans. I have a close friend who's a biologist and working in the clinical trials of the diabetes drugs. She says the huge majority of trials that have incredible success in mice, fail terribly once tried on humans... This might be the case here as well...

I agree with PIP on the "conspiracy" matter. One cannot imagine the amount of money a company (-ies) that will be successful in producing a cure will be able to generate. 

Olga Simkin (November 1976 - March 2011). Rest In Peace. Dx 6/16/2008, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IV, Grade 3, 1/24 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Mar 11, 2010 06:20PM hreneeowen wrote:

Leprechaun,  What you say is true, but he has already performed not only a rat study, but also a primate study with the same results.  Cured by the 37th day.  The new drug is called AA1907 and works with HSP25/27 to stimulate a persons own immune system.  The reason Maryiz hasn't heard of this treatment is because it is still in the works. Scott & White has a GMP lab to develop the highly pure form of the drug, but the issue here is money.  I will ask Dr. ASEA if he has applied to the Breast Cancer Research Institute.  "WE3" the core of the grass roots effort is in the throughs of writing directly to Nancy Brinker, Susan G. Koman's sister and founder of the Komen Foundation to ask her why her organization turn Dr. A's request down.  WE know of several millionaires in our area that we are asking to see if they would like to be in on the ground floor of this wonderful discovery.  Keep the ideas coming.  It takes a village to make a cure for breast cancer and by golly, I intend to do all I can to get the money into the right hands to get this cure testing started.  Thanks again.  DR. Asea is out in four foreign countries this year to present his information.  Maybe the word will be world wide soon.

Mar 11, 2010 07:04PM pip57 wrote:

Surely there is a millionaire out there who has been touched by cancer that would be willing to contribute.  All you need to do is have the information to convince him that it is viable.  Right?

PIP - multi focal, FEC100/Tax, rads, dble mast with no recon, ooph/hyst, arimidex Dx 2/1/2007, DCIS/IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 9/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 14, 2010 08:44PM hreneeowen wrote:

Dear PIP:

Doing our best to hit on the millionaires we know in the county.  We are sending a packet of info and a personal letter with the request for funds.  Thanks for the encouragement.

Mar 15, 2010 08:47AM hope4us wrote:

Hreneeowen, May I suggest a web-site, or the data and I can help build the web-site (engineer by trade) that clearly shows what is done thus far in detail, the mechanism of the drug, the results, who duplicated the results, and the next steps, so I can refer to that websites when people ask me. It is very unconvincing to say yea, Dr. Asea has found the answer demonstrated by many cured mice.We can move millions and raise billions - just the material has to be convincing. How can we help?

Mar 16, 2010 08:32AM Timothy wrote:

Is there published work we can read on this research?

Concerned husband

Mar 16, 2010 11:27AM Maryiz wrote:

Hreneeowen, thanks for hanging in there with all of our questions.  Yes, I didn't know too much about Dr. Asea, only that this new treatment existed and that he came from Harvard.  He is no fly by night.  I am also pleased to see his drug has been tested on larger primates.  I did post a forum long ago relative to a Texas man who would pay a billion dollars to ANYONE who found a cure.  He said he would raise the money somehow.  He may be interested.  He has a wife with BRCA breast cancer and is very concerned about his two daughters.  If you google him, you may get more information.  I am sure many of us would be willing to fundraise and donate if we only knew a little more about it.  Personally, I am elated to have someone talk about cure, rather than awareness.  We are all painfully aware, but that does not translate to a cure, does it?  Maryiz

Mar 16, 2010 12:03PM ElaineD wrote:

Can I reiterate Timothy's question-where is the published work on this?

Dx 11/4/2007, 5cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Mar 16, 2010 10:36PM hreneeowen wrote:

Thank you all very much for your inspired questions and willingness to help.  Give me another day and let me get the locations where info is published.

Maryiz, please send the name of the TExas man who would give money for a cure!!!  Could be our answer to prayer for the money to do the clinical trials.

AA1907 is made from biological materials and helps to jump start a persons own immune system.  It has wiped out the cancer in as little as 37 days in mice and the cancer did not return.

Hope4us, please give me more information about how to set up a web site, that is just what we want to do .  We finally have a name "Seasons of Life" .    Will do my best to get the info and get it posted in the next day or too.  Hang in there with me.   Renee

Mar 17, 2010 05:17PM tkw50 wrote:

I have read all of your responses to this article.  I attended the retreat hreneeowen referred to and I am an organizer for Seasons of Life.  I reviewed the PET scans of the mice injected with this new drug.  I was astounded with the results.  I know it is a leap from mice to humans, but Dr. Asea's research also included primates. By nature, I am a skeptic.  That's why I read every article on the internet.  GOOGLE Alexzander Asea Ph.D.  I didn't give funding too much thought. I figured, whoever does that sort of thing would just do it.  Then I heard that the Susan G. Komen Foundation tuned Dr. Asea's grant down.  A researcher that had completed clinical trials and had a pharmaceutical company to produce the drug, received the funds. What did that researcher need the funds for?  I have seen the true story about Dr. Dennis Slamon at UCLA, who discovered Herceptin.  The pharmaceutical company, Genentech, owned the patent , and it was reluctant at every major step to fund the research.  Lilly Tartikoff stepped in to raise the funds for clinical trials and continued to raise $80 million for cancer research.  Watch the movie or read the book "Living Proof."  Thousands of lives have been saved by Herceptin since 2006.  Where was NIH, ACS, AACR, Susan G. Komen, etc. then?  This time frame is known as "Death Valley."  Do not let this promising research die on the shelf.  Please continue learning more about AA1907 as the information comes available. Although, I am not going to sit and wait anymore for someone else to start raising funds.  Please join Seasons of Life, a grassroots funding effort for Dr. Asea's clinical trials for women with metastatic breast cancer.  What do you have to lose?

Mar 18, 2010 07:03AM hope4us wrote:

Thank you, tkw50 and hreneeowen for your efforts at this early stage. Surely resistance can be expected at this early stage as we know of the many failures despite the hope they bring initially. I pray success for this one. We need a well planned website for SeasonsOfLife with the technical details of Dr. Asea's research, including downloadable research papers, so that we can consult with our oncologyst and friends in the medical field. Anybody can have access to this information via this website, read info to get informed, and if they like, be able to donate, all in one place. It is best to build the website professionally for fast and quality work (although I can help, being a new mom and stage IV and full time employee, my time is limited and we need this fast). Please keep us posted on how we can help at whatever level we can.  

Mar 18, 2010 08:07AM Timothy wrote:

twk50, is there published work on AA1907?

Concerned husband

Mar 18, 2010 11:31AM tkw50 wrote:

AA1907 is the drug name that will be used in human clinical trials.  hsp25 is the name used in the mice research.  Dr. Asea has researched heat shock proteins for many many years, as well as, many other researchers all over the world. Here are some links for you to read, although they are very difficult to understand, unless you are a scientist.  The abstracts are usually free, but most likely there will be a charge for the full text.

This is all I have found at the moment, but these should keep you busy for awhile and hopefully will satisfy so many that are wanting to see research.

I am also a breast cancer survivor. 

Diagnosed : September,2001 (ER+PR+HER2-)  Inflammatory Breast Cancer

Mar 19, 2010 04:16PM - edited Mar 19, 2010 04:17PM by Maryiz

hreneeowen, I am posting just one article that I garnered from google.  There are many on this man who desperately seeks a cure for breast cancer, as we all wish for that same cure.  Maryiz

Austin man offers $1 billion for breast cancer cure

By JAMIE STENGLE Associated Press

July 27, 2008, 9:00AM

DALLAS — Mike Dewey has a plan to eliminate breast cancer: He's offering $1 billion to the person who discovers the cure.

Never mind the fact the 48-year-old Austin consultant has nothing close to that much money. Dewey, whose daughters are at increased risk for the disease because his wife was diagnosed with breast cancer, says he'll come up with the cash.

"I get pretty fired up about this because I've got girls in danger," said Dewey, who says he's raised about $22 million in pledges so far and about $90,000 in actual donations through his nonprofit foundation.

While he's still quite a bit short of $1 billion and some experts are critical of his idea, the energetic Dewey is unfazed — and certain money will roll in if there's a cure.

"I think that we've cracked the code for a new kind of philanthropy," said Dewey, who says he'd retain the intellectual rights to the cure but put it into the public domain for free. "People always have and people always will respond to economic stimuli."

Arthur Caplan, chair of the department of medical ethics at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, said Dewey's plan seems naive.

"I think sometimes there is a belief that if we have the right incentive, anything can be solved," he said. "This isn't a problem of incentive. It's having the right luck, the right breakthrough, the right science to get the problem solved."

Margaret "Peg" Mastrianni, deputy director of the Breast Cancer Research Foundation, said in a statement that donors want assurance that their money will go to the "most promising investigations and that progress will be monitored."

Dewey isn't alone in feeling some impatience with the pace of research.

Dr. David Euhus, a surgical oncologist at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, said he's noticed that those making grants are willing to take bolder steps because they're "getting a little frustrated" by the slow pace of traditional research.

While Dewey's idea may make a social statement, Euhus said he doesn't think many people will look at it as realistic.

"It's not one disease. It's hundreds of diseases. There are hundreds of ways of getting to the same endpoint — getting from a normal cell to a cancer cell," he said, pointing out that research takes millions of dollars.

Stan Cohen, who teaches a medical ethics course at Nova Southeastern University in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., said offering a financial incentive might help considering the slow, bureaucratic pace of funding research.

"There's nothing wrong with giving people rewards like that, in my opinion," he said.

Dewey said some people think his idea is wacky, but that others are intrigued.

Australian businessman and investor Toby Davidson said he has pledged $1 million to the foundation after meeting Dewey last year and provided "working capital" to the foundation but declined to say how much.

He said he hopes to be writing a check for $1 million one day.

"That's the whole point," he said. "Hopefully sooner rather than later."

Dewey, whose wife, Barbara, has been cancer-free since surgery following her diagnosis in 2000, founded his nonprofit Dewey Foundation in 2006.

He launched its Web site last year for the foundation, which he says is offering other "Victory Project Awards" worth $1 billion each to anyone who cures diabetes, reduces greenhouse emissions from petroleum-powered automobiles by 95 percent, or creates a car capable of getting 150 miles per gallon.

Dewey said he's in the process of assembling panels of experts to judge whether a cure or solution to one of his stated issues has been achieved. If no cure or solution is found within 30 years of the foundation's inception, the foundation will distribute any money raised to traditional charities, Dewey said.

Chron.com Web Search by YAHOO!
Subscribe now to TV Weekly

Mar 21, 2010 07:33AM cp418 wrote:

Mar 23, 2010 11:38AM Maryiz wrote:

Joann, I agree that a lot of our treatments are pregeonomics, and that is why we don't know if they will work.  It seems like this guy may be on to something.  Thanks for posting.  Maryiz

Mar 28, 2010 11:20PM hreneeowen wrote:

Dear maryiz and all,

TKW50 and I have tried to share from our heart and knowledge about Dr. Asea and his work.  TKW50 is more knowledgeable than I am and explained things very well.  Keep hanging in there .  We are trying our best to get this grass roots effort off the ground and into the fund for Dr. Asea's research.  WE   will do our best to keep all updated on what we find out and how the research is going. Renee

Page 1 of 2 (46 results)