We are 185,856 members in 80 forums discussing 140,260 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Clinical Trials, Research Studies, News, and Study Results → Topic: Dr Tuohy BC vaccine funding site- cleveland clinic

Topic: Dr Tuohy BC vaccine funding site- cleveland clinic

Forum: Clinical Trials, Research Studies, News, and Study Results —

Share your research articles, interpretations and experiences here. Let us know how these studies affect you and your decisions.

*Research proposals and/or requests posted here by members have been reviewed and approved by The Moderator Team

Posted on: Jan 18, 2011 06:23PM

christine1111111 wrote:

This is the Cleveland Clinic site collecting funds for Dr. Vincent Tuohy s breast cancer

vaccine trials, which could start in months if he gets funding.

https://secure3.convio.net/ccf/site/SPageServer?JServSessionIdr004=qd5wly6cc2.app334b&pagename=tuohy_api_donation_form

Page 1 of 1 (22 results)

Posts 1 - 22 (22 total)

Jan 18, 2011 07:04PM - edited Jan 18, 2011 08:26PM by otter

Tuohy was already awarded a 4-year, $1.3 million grant from the NIH (through the "American Recovery and Reinvestment Act") and the National Cancer Institute.

http://www.medcitynews.com/2009/06/cleveland-clinic-researcher-surprised-by-and-grateful-for-nih-grant-to-develop-breast-cancer-vaccine/

That award was publicized in 2009.  I assume Tuohy wanted the NIH/NCI money to continue his research on mice. (I don't know that, because I haven't seen the project details listed anywhere.) Now he wants $16 million more, to start human trials with the vaccine.  But, those will be "Phase I" toxicity studies, done in women with Stage IV breast cancer (as is often the case with the initial studies of a new cancer treatment or procedure). 

Tuohy estimates that it will be at least 10 years before his vaccine is available for clinical use:  "He estimates a target date of 2020 for the new vaccine, although time, funding, and FDA requirements are among the hurdles."  http://www.lerner.ccf.org/news/2010/7/5.php and http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2010/06/cleveland-clinic-doctor-reports-a-possible-vaccine-to-prevent-breast-cancer/1

The approach he is using does have some critics, who point out that a great deal more safety testing is needed. (http://www.nature.com/scibx/journal/v3/n24/full/scibx.2010.721.html) Tuohy's strategy involves triggering an autoimmune response by injecting patients (or, at this point, mice) with α-lactalbumin, which is a normal protein found in lactating mammary tissue and in malignant breast tumors.  The injected protein stimulates an inflammatory response, resulting in "breast inflammation and nipple irritation" in the immunized animals if they are lactating.

Tuohy concedes that "...the effects of the immune response to lactation would be a nuisance and discomfort” in women.  So, he is proposing that the vaccine be used mainly in women over the age of 40, because they are less likely to become pregnant (and lactate) than younger women but are at greater risk of developing breast cancer.

He says, “The vaccine is really designed for a woman of any age who thinks she should have it, but the trade-off will always be an inability to breast-feed successfully.”  ... "I have spoken to a lot of women about” having to trade breast-feeding for protection from potentially fatal breast cancers.  Most women over 40 don't plan to have more children and said the trade-off was not an issue at all.”

It's interesting that all of the flurry of activity concerning Tuohy's research was triggered by press releases from his lab and from the Cleveland Clinic's Lerner Institute, where he works.  And, all those press releases trace back to a single paper his lab published in 2010:

http://www.nature.com/nm/journal/v16/n7/abs/nm.2161.html
An autoimmune-mediated strategy for prophylactic breast cancer vaccination
Ritika Jaini, Pavani Kesaraju, Justin M Johnson, Cengiz Z Altuntas, Daniel Jane-wit, & Vincent K Tuohy.  Nature Medicine 16, Pages 799–803 (2010)

Aside from that one paper, everything else he has published has dealt with autoimmune diseases. Maybe that's why he is having trouble obtaining funding for a clinical trial.

otter

[Edited to take out reference to "solicitation for money."]

Dx 2008, IDC, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jan 18, 2011 07:08PM elmcity69 wrote:

research isn't perfect. it is a journey taking tremendous work, patience, and yes, money.

I am grateful to scientists everywhere working to end this scourge. 2020 can't come fast enough!

Dx 9/24/2009, ILC, 2cm, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, 15/19 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Jan 19, 2011 09:59AM hope4us wrote:

We need phase I strarted ASAP. I agree, it requires money but 16 mil is not much if this comes to be our cure, and surely we'd rather not be able lactate than die - heck I have my breasts removed hoping not to die!

Dx 12/6/2008, IDC, 3cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 19, 2011 10:52AM otter wrote:

Those are good points -- especially the one about having had our breast(s) removed already!  I am also very grateful for the research that's being done.  And, even though Phase I trials don't end up helping the participants, those early studies are essential if the work is going to find its way into clinics.  So true, all of it.

otter

Dx 2008, IDC, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jan 19, 2011 11:59AM christine1111111 wrote:

I was told Dr. Tuohy needs 2 to 4 million dollars in funding to start phase 1 trials which could start

in 2 to 4 months time. He has already attained some funding.

There are many experts who think his vaccine may work. So lets try it now.

No one knows how long it will take for this to be available for the public, it just depends on how

well it works. I hope it works well quickly.

Jan 19, 2011 12:02PM imbell wrote:

Thank you for the website. Will make my donation now and every month I can.

Dx 9/10/2009, IDC, 5cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 5/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 22, 2011 12:16PM hicksv3 wrote:

I honor and respect scientist and researchers who devote their lives to finding cures.  I think your post about Dr Tuohy was rude.  Doctor Tuohy probably has more integrity than you will ever have so stop making comments about money, it's the FDA that requires all of these hoops to jump through, not the doctors.  FDA sucks.

Jan 29, 2011 01:26PM christine1111111 wrote:

Dr. Vincent Tuohy is to schedule a web chat soon, to happen  in March

that will update everyone on his Breast Cancer Vaccine progress.

This is what his office has stated.

Feb 28, 2011 12:34PM christine1111111 wrote:

The status of Dr. V. Tuohy s breast cancer vaccine phase 1 trials should be announced this month.

They are making very good progress in brain, prostate , lung, skin, and other cancer vaccines.

Eg.  DC VAX vaccine for brian cancer is doing great in phase 2 trials.

Mar 8, 2011 01:40PM BaseballFan wrote:

I just called Dr. Tuohy's office to see when trials might begin and when the web chat would be.  His nurse said they still aren't close to having enough funding...doubts if it will even be this year.  Also, she didn't know anything about a web chat either.  Darn...I was really looking forward to hearing what he had to say....and certainly wish Susan G Komen would fund this project....but haven't yet.

Bobbi Dx 3/14/2009, 6cm+, Stage IV, 11/14 nodes, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 7/23/2009 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Surgery 10/1/2009 Lumpectomy: Right Chemotherapy 9/1/2010 Xeloda (capecitabine) Chemotherapy 2/13/2012 Xeloda (capecitabine) Chemotherapy 12/12/2012 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 1/26/2013 Afinitor (everolimus) Chemotherapy 10/1/2013 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Gemzar (gemcitabine)

Mar 10, 2011 04:06PM - edited Mar 10, 2011 04:07PM by mindfulness

Hi Bobbi,
I just bumped the webcast info........hope the link works. (posted to the stage IV forum)
Love to all.

Every time you feel lost, alienated, or cut off from life, or from the world, every time you feel despair, anger, or instability, practice going home.  Mindful breathing is the vehicle that you use to go back to your true home. Thich Nhat Hanh Dx 5/18/2009, 3cm, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Mar 10, 2011 04:11PM BaseballFan wrote:

Hi Alfy - Thanks SO much for posting.  I can't believe the nurse didn't know anything about it.  She said no one has said anything to her (I guess that means she knows EVERYTHING) and never offered to check to see if she was wrong.  Unbelieveable.  That's why we need each other!!!Thanks again...I'll check it out.

Bobbi Dx 3/14/2009, 6cm+, Stage IV, 11/14 nodes, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 7/23/2009 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Surgery 10/1/2009 Lumpectomy: Right Chemotherapy 9/1/2010 Xeloda (capecitabine) Chemotherapy 2/13/2012 Xeloda (capecitabine) Chemotherapy 12/12/2012 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 1/26/2013 Afinitor (everolimus) Chemotherapy 10/1/2013 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Gemzar (gemcitabine)

Apr 1, 2011 11:58PM shari55 wrote:

A friend of mine met Dr. Tuohy at a fund raiser the other night.  My friend spoke with his nurse or assistant who was with him.  She told my friend that they have just received funding from the Komen Foundation and hope to start trials as early as the end of this year. 

Apr 2, 2011 09:54AM BaseballFan wrote:

AWESOME
That's a big feather in Dr. Tuohy's hat.  Hopefully the support of SGK will bring funding from more organizations. 

Apr 3, 2011 05:26PM BaseballFan wrote:

Unbelievable....Susan G Komen has refused to fund the trials for Dr. Tuohy's BC vaccine.  Read the article....DEFINITELY implies that SGK doesn't want to find a cure.  HOW ABOUT THAT LADIES??????

http://www.breasthealthandhealing.org/socialnetworking/drruddymessage.html

Apr 4, 2011 10:47AM - edited Apr 4, 2011 10:53AM by cp418

Is there a way to start a petition to appeal to funding from other sources?  Also, petition to get the clinical trials on the Fast Track with the FDA?  I am quite disgusted with SGK and feel we should let them know loudly that they are not representing the very patients who participate in their walks and give donations. 

http://apps.komen.org/Forums/

Actually the Komen website has posted 2009 fund distribution pie chart.  Only 25% of the donated money goes to funding research. 37% goes to educating the public and the rest is for admin and their walks, etc.  So for all the money they pull in - - only 25% geos to research and the rest is their own agenda.  Sounds like a kimick to me.  So we should look else where to support funding research.  Let our voices be heard IMO..........

Oct 16, 2011 10:50PM Judy56 wrote:

Hey ladies...

I am starting my own campaign to help Dr. Tuohy...check out my blog at www.sisters4prevention.com.

Dx 12/29/2008 - Right breast DCIS and LCIS 0/3 nodes. Left Breast - IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-. Bi lat mastectomy with TE 1/30/09 Exchange and hysterectomy 7/10/09 , Dx 12/29/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 18, 2011 07:08PM macygrace wrote:

Judy,

Do you know if his vaccine is capeable of helping women in the stage IV category?

I did a sneak peek of your website and will read more tomorrow. I got those tired eyes right now.

ER+/PR+ HER- Stage IV Met to hips, spine, sternum, sacral, Diagnosed 12/30/10

Nov 5, 2011 08:32PM FireKracker wrote:

why am I not shocked that Komen is not gonna support this????????

I hate hate hate them......

its all about the $$$$$$$ and where does it go??????In their pocket.

Good luck Dr.Tuohy....I will make my donation so my daughters and granddaughters just may benefit from it.

Focktober!!!!Pink stinks!!!!

Nov 5, 2011 10:23PM Judy56 wrote:

Dear Macygrace,

The vaccine is effective in 70% of exisiting cancers in mice and 100% in prevention.  If you look at the weblinks on my site,  you'll see his discussion of the results.  As I understand it,  there will be 3 groups for the clinical trials:

1. Braca1/2 - prevention

2. General population - prevention

3. Exisiting BC patients

I'm not sure what the plan is as far as which group will be subjects first.

I post new information on my website as soon as updates are available.

Keep the faith and eat well...

Sending prayers your way,

Judy 

Dx 12/29/2008 - Right breast DCIS and LCIS 0/3 nodes. Left Breast - IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-. Bi lat mastectomy with TE 1/30/09 Exchange and hysterectomy 7/10/09 , Dx 12/29/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Nov 9, 2011 08:16PM painterly wrote:

Judy,

I don't use my visa over the internet, but I will send cheque  through the mail to Dr. Tuohy's Cleveland clinic.

Thank you for caring about his vaccine.

Nov 10, 2011 11:26PM cp418 wrote:

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/health/29739698/detail.html

Medical Breakthrough: Cancer Vaccines

3 New Vaccines Helping To Fight Prostate, Breast & Ovarian Cancers

Page 1 of 1 (22 results)