Topic: Breaking Research News from Breastcancer.org

Forum: Clinical Trials, Research News, Podcasts, and Study Results — Share your research articles, interpretations and experiences here. Let us know how these studies affect you and your decisions.

Posted on: Apr 16, 2012 09:33AM - edited Jan 16, 2016 11:28AM by moderators

Posted on: Apr 16, 2012 09:33AM - edited Jan 16, 2016 11:28AM by moderators

moderators wrote:

Breastcancer.org strives to bring you updates on the latest breast cancer research through its Research News program. Medical experts at Breastcancer.org provide easy-to-understand summaries of what the research means for YOU.

Check out this thread on a regular basis to see all the breaking news about current breast cancer research from our experts.

Get Personalized Research News Stories JUST for You!
Don't forget to fill out your profile: In the top right hand corner of the screen, under My Profile, you'll find My Diagnoses and My Treatments. Once you've provided enough information, we'll send recommended articles. Members can save these articles for later, or archive them when they're finished with them.

If you would like to receive Personalized Research News articles, based on diagnosis and treatment information, you'll need to go into "My Profile" and under the "Recommended Articles", click "turn on".

To send a PM to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/my/...

Page 37 of 123 (1,228 results)

Sep 20, 2014 05:36AM moderators wrote:

ASCO Issues Guidelines on Treatments for Advanced-Stage HER2-Negative Breast Cancer
September 4, 2014
The American Society of Clinical Oncology has put out new guidelines on treating women diagnosed with advanced-stage HER2-negative breast cancer. Read more...

Sep 20, 2014 05:38AM moderators wrote:

Complications Uncommon After Single or Double Mastectomy
September 5, 2014

Complications are uncommon after single or double mastectomy and immediate reconstruction, though women who had double mastectomy did have more complications than women who had single mastectomy. Read more...

Sep 20, 2014 05:39AM moderators wrote:

Eating Soy May Turn on Genes Linked to Cancer Growth
September 5, 2014

Study suggests that for some women adding a medium amount of soy to their diets turns on genes that can cause cancer to grow. Read more...

Sep 20, 2014 05:41AM moderators wrote:

Lumpectomy Plus Radiation May Offer Survival Benefits Over Mastectomy for Early-Stage, Hormone-Receptor-Positive Disease
September 9, 2014

A study suggests that women diagnosed with stage I hormone-receptor-positive breast cancer who have lumpectomy followed by radiation have better survival rates than women who have mastectomy alone or lumpectomy alone. Read more...

Sep 20, 2014 05:42AM moderators wrote:

Trelstar May Help Increase Pregnancy Chances After Chemo
September 9, 2014

Women diagnosed with early-stage breast cancer who were treated with Trelstar in addition to chemotherapy might find it easier to get pregnant after chemotherapy ends, but the results weren’t definitive. Read more...

Sep 20, 2014 05:43AM moderators wrote:

Study Confirms No Link Between Wearing a Bra and Breast Cancer Risk
September 9, 2014

More research confirms that wearing a bra doesn’t increase breast cancer risk. Read more...

Sep 20, 2014 05:58AM - edited Sep 20, 2014 09:17AM by cfdr

A nutritionist that gave a workshop at a "cancer camp" I attended said that the problem with soy is not an issue when it is eaten as a whole food, but when it is processed into soy protein islolate and given as a supplement. So it's not clear to me from this study if eating tofu is truly a danger.

Dx 5/23/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/7/2011 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 6/28/2011 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 7/25/2011 Chemotherapy 10/6/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 1/2/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Sep 20, 2014 09:12AM tgtg wrote:

Cdfr--Here are three factoids not included in the study that might address your question:  

1) Japanese women eat lots of real soy--think edamame, tofu, and natto--because meat is so expensive there.

2) Japanese women do not use soy powders or processed soy other than soya (soy sauce).

3) Japan has a really low incidence of breast cancer.  (They also eat lots of vegetables there.)

So it seems to me that the real thing is most definitely not a danger to women in Japan (including my daughter-in-law and her female relatives!  Grandma Iwasawa is still cancer-free after 90 + years of eating soy!  

71 at diagnosis, Oncotype #, 12 Dx 12/21/2012, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/6/2013 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 3/17/2013 Whole breast: Breast

Sep 20, 2014 09:19AM - edited Sep 20, 2014 09:19AM by cfdr

tgtg, I've read things along those lines as well. Also edited my original post to include complete sentences that make sense...I should not post before I've had my coffee. :-p

Dx 5/23/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/7/2011 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 6/28/2011 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 7/25/2011 Chemotherapy 10/6/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 1/2/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Sep 30, 2014 08:54AM moderators wrote:

Most Women Who Have Healthy Breast Removed Preventively Happy With Decision
September 26, 2014

A study suggests that most women who have contralateral prophylactic mastectomy have no regrets and would make the same choice again. Read more...

Page 37 of 123 (1,228 results)

Scroll to top button