Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

low dose aspirin may act like an aromatase inhibitor

Options

Comments

• meow13
    meow13 Member Posts: 1,363
    Options

Could it be an aspirin instead of anastrozole could be just as effective? I feel like doctors would not accept this you know a treatment that doesn't have horrible side effEcts couldn't possibly be effective.

• Artista928
    Artista928 Member Posts: 1,458
    Options

Awesome if true. I take low dose and have for months since I'm on Tamoxifen. MO recommended it to help prevent blood clots since I kept my port.

• dtad
    dtad Member Posts: 771
    Options

Meow...I agree! Something that simple will never happen! Imagine all the money pharmaceutical companies would lose? Just like how you never hear that weight loss and exercise can lower recurrence rates up to 40 percent. Sad but true.

• keepthefaith
    keepthefaith Member Posts: 856
    Options

I have been taking a baby aspirin for a couple of years....I had to ask my MO...she didn't bring it up. I, too, was fearful of clots and stroke, being in Tamoxifen. Too bad it isn't protocol for all MO's to recommend.

• claireinaz
    claireinaz Member Posts: 679
    Options

I'm concerned that this article doesn't state that aspirin prevents recurrence--just lowers breast cancer risk. Thoughts? I really need to hear the "recurrence" word in research, I guess.

• ksusan
    ksusan Member Posts: 461
    Options

I took daily baby aspirin for years before my dx. I also took Metformin.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,250
    Options

I started taking a full dose daily when I was on tamoxifen and arimidex; I've (maybe last 1-1/2 years) switched to baby aspirin...and I only take one. Not sure if the study said low dose = 2 baby aspirin or not.

I think it is all a crap shoot because I honestly think epigenetics and genetics play a huge role (and the study that said genetics did not play a big role, I personally think they over generalized).

It is odd that a standard dose did not protect while a baby aspirin did...you would think the same mechanism was in play.

The fact that they mentioned it acted like an aromatase inhibitor to me, implies trying to limit recurrence--because most women won't take that until after diagnosis. But that's just my brain trying to justify that I'm "doing something" and not flying without a net!

Here is another version of that story: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/317248.ph...

It is an 81mg aspirin and specific for er+/her- (which was mentioned in the other study).

Interesting that they say "other NSAIDS" not effective yet last year, there was a study out that said ibuprofen was better than aspirin for breast cancer. **shaking head*** the saga continues....

• brutersmom
    brutersmom Member Posts: 884
    Options

I have had so many issues with quality of life on the aromatase inhibitors. I have had to stop. Nothing is a guarantee that our cancer won't come back. I am sure the big drug companies don't want this information shared and if it is to be tested further it will have to be done in the private arena. I am thinking that this might be one way for someone like myself who can't function on the aromatase inhibitors to at least feel like they are doing a little something to keep cancer at bay.

• Artista928
    Artista928 Member Posts: 1,458
    Options

I would ask your pcp first if there's any medical reason why you can't do low dose ASA. I feel better I'm on it since I should be on an AI but can't handle it so I'm back on Tamox.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,944
    Options

I have taken a low dose aspirin for years (heart disease runs rampant in my family). My heart is great, and although it didn't prevent me from getting cancer, if it can lower the chance of recurrence, that will be a great bonus. (Like anything, check with your doctor before you start.)

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,251
    Options

Been taking low-dose aspirin daily for the last 5 years, and I still got ER+ bc. Don’t pin all your hopes on this.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,943
    Options

Hi all,

Thought you might be interested in the main Breastcancer.org site's take on this:

Study Suggests Link Between Low-Dose Aspirin and Lower Risk for Specific Type of Breast Cancer
    May 4, 2017

A preliminary study suggests that women who take low-dose aspirin 3 or more times per week have a lower risk of hormone-receptor-positive, HER2-negative breast cancer. Still, it's too soon to recommend women start taking low-dose aspirin to reduce breast cancer risk. Read more...

• [Deleted User]
    Options

I am considering not taking any of the aromatase drugs because of all the side effects. I don't think ASA has been given the proper studies because of drug co interests. Why recommend a drug that costs pennies when you make a profit? You know what? My cancer comes back I'll have a mastectomy. I have my first oncology appt 1/2020. I'm sure this will go over big.