We are 227,534 members in 83 forums discussing 159,323 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Breaking Research News from sources other than breastcancer.org

Forum: Clinical Trials, Research News, Podcasts, and Study Results —

Share your research articles, interpretations and experiences here. Let us know how these studies affect you and your decisions.

Posted on: Nov 20, 2017 09:31PM - edited Nov 20, 2017 09:35PM by Lumpie

Lumpie wrote:

I watch for research news on breast cancer, treatments, etc., and frequently see interesting articles. There is a topic on BCO called "Breaking Research News from Breastcancer.org." One of the moderators suggested that another topic might be appropriate for posting links and synopses of reports on research found elsewhere. So here it is! Please post links to reports on research form reliable sources. Thanks for sharing!

"We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us." "If adventures will not befall a young lady in her own village, she must seek them abroad." "Buy the ticket, take the ride." Dx 2015, DCIS/IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Targeted Therapy 1/14/2016 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 1/14/2016 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Dx 2017, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast Surgery Lumpectomy: Right Surgery Lumpectomy: Right

Page 66 of 66 (1,963 results)

Posts 1951 - 1963 (1,963 total)

Mar 19, 2020 08:20AM Lexica wrote:

Hoping it doesn't impact you and you can get surgery without any delay!

Diagnosed at 34. 2 years of Ibrance via PALLAS trial (ends 4/2020) Dx 7/2017, IDC, Left, Stage IIIC, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 12/14/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right Dx 12/27/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 5/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Radiation Therapy 1/15/2018 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane) Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxol)

Mar 20, 2020 09:09AM debbew wrote:

Statins may reduce HF hospitalization after chemotherapy for breast cancer

Among women undergoing chemotherapy for early-stage breast cancer, statin exposure reduced risk for hospitalization due to HF by up to 66%, according to a retrospective population-based cohort study presented at the American College of Cardiology Scientific Session.

https://www.healio.com/cardiology/hf-transplantation/news/online/%7Bc0d6836e-04c9-42c2-bb83-432df05b3f95%7D/statins-may-reduce-hf-hospitalization-after-chemotherapy-for-breast-cancer

Mar 20, 2020 09:32AM debbew wrote:

The bacteria-trapping protein that may provide a new target for tracking and treating breast cancer

Scientists at the Pennsylvania State University and Henan University in China have found a new protein marker that they say could potentially predict the progression of breast cancer or be targeted by drugs designed to treat the disease.

The protein, called PAD4, is key in the immune response against bacteria. The researchers found that its expression in cancer cells can also promote breast cancer metastasis in mice, according to a new study published in the journal Molecular Cancer Research.

https://www.fiercebiotech.com/research/how-a-bacteria-trapping-protein-may-aggravate-breast-cancer

Mar 24, 2020 05:51PM debbew wrote:

Lower breast cancer risk in RA unexplained by hormonal risk factors

"We found a decreased risk of breast cancer in patients with RA, and a similar decrease in risk of RA in patients with a history of breast cancer," Wadström and colleagues wrote. "We did not find evidence to support that the decreased risk of breast cancer was due to known risk determinants. Thus, we were ultimately unable to explain the origins of this association. Antihormonal therapy as used in secondary breast cancer pharmacoprevention does not seem to increase RA risk."

https://www.healio.com/rheumatology/rheumatoid-arthritis/news/online/%7B84027b49-610f-4986-aa64-c13b37c0ead7%7D/lower-breast-cancer-risk-in-ra-unexplained-by-hormonal-risk-factors

Mar 27, 2020 02:56PM Lumpie wrote:

BC videos

NBCC is releasing a series of past webinars that give basic information about breast cancer, vaccines and other treatments. To launch this series, they have provided you with a link to a webinar featuring Dr. Keith Knutson, Mayo Clinic, presenting on the state of vaccines for breast cancer in 2019.

Vaccines For Breast Cancer – Where are we in 2019?

Link - https://vimeo.com/401115980/2a5f88254d

After the presentation, you can test your knowledge by taking a brief quiz on key concepts presented in the video.

{I've been taking a bit of a hiatus during the recent unpleasantness but will try to post compelling new finds as I come across them. Stay well, all!}

"We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us." "If adventures will not befall a young lady in her own village, she must seek them abroad." "Buy the ticket, take the ride." Dx 2015, DCIS/IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Targeted Therapy 1/14/2016 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 1/14/2016 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Dx 2017, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast Surgery Lumpectomy: Right Surgery Lumpectomy: Right

Mar 27, 2020 04:49PM BevJen wrote:

Just posting here because I got an email last evening from the Metastatic Breast Cancer Project, in which I am a participant (meaning I gave them samples and access to my medical records.) They are not exactly a clinical trial, but a data aggregator and interpreter.

In part the email said this:

We are continuing to process and analyze data, obtain clinical data from medical records, and prepare datasets for public release. We continue to engage with the scientific community to make sure the project data that are currently publicly available can help drive their research forward. We are also hard at work behind the scenes upgrading our infrastructure, designing new surveys and websites, and developing pilot projects to explore new ways for the MBCproject to collect and analyze data.

While these efforts remain underway, our laboratory operations at the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard are on hold. As a result, saliva and blood kits will not be sent to patients until normal operations resume. If you have recently sent one in, we will be able to process kits that are already in transit. We will provide updates on kit delivery when we are back to being fully operational. The Broad Institute has paused these and other operations to convert a CLIA-certified testing center into a laboratory that can process COVID-19 patient samples.

So, sadly, it seems, Covid 19 is interfering with MBC research.

Dx 11/2003, ILC, Left, Stage IIIC, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 6/2006, ILC, Stage IV, metastasized to other, ER+ Dx 5/2019, ILC, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/5/2019 Targeted Therapy 8/1/2019 Ibrance (palbociclib) Hormonal Therapy Faslodex (fulvestrant) Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole) Surgery Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Reconstruction (left): Pedicled TRAM flap; Reconstruction (right): Pedicled TRAM flap Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy Chemotherapy TAC Surgery Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Pedicled TRAM flap; Reconstruction (right): Pedicled TRAM flap

Mar 30, 2020 05:21AM debbew wrote:

Notre Dame Developing 'Grain of Rice'-Size Breast Cancer Sensor

[Marker clips being designed that actively analyse breast cancer tumors.]

https://www.insideindianabusiness.com/story/41951606/notre-dame-developing-grain-of-ricesize-breast-cancer-sensor

Apr 1, 2020 10:11PM marijen wrote:

Pre-diagnostic 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations in relation to tumor molecular alterations and risk of breast cancer recurrence
https://cebp.aacrjournals.org/content/early/2020/0...

Apr 2, 2020 05:16PM lala1 wrote:

My BS swears low Vit D levels are a huge contributor to BC. He's done an unofficial study of just his patients and finds this consistently. My levels were 28 when I diagnosed. I now run about 82 so here's hoping that's keeping BC away!

Mentor smooth round high profile memory gel implants 600cc (Left); Allergan 10 Moderate Profile 120cc (Right) ; Oncotype 15 Dx 11/27/2012, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/12/2012 Mastectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 1/31/2013 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 3/25/2013 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant Surgery 6/24/2014 Reconstruction (left): Nipple reconstruction Surgery 1/19/2015 Prophylactic ovary removal

Apr 3, 2020 03:03AM morrigan_2575 wrote:

i read a study (when I was first diagnosed) done in Ireland and they believed Low Vitamin D played a role in Breast Cancer and well.

Dx 1/20/2020, DCIS/IDC, Right, 4cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC) Targeted Therapy 2/4/2020 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy 2/4/2020 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 2/4/2020 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel)

21 hours ago marijen wrote:

My level was 10 when I left a sunny state for a rainy state! I have several doctors that check my D level which is now in the 50s. It really jumped when I switched to a brand with flax oil. And yet one doctor I got by default and head of a big department said to me that they don’t regularly test for vitamin D! I left her in my rearview mirror after two visits.

21 hours ago Salamandra wrote:

I'm glad that they are looking at this more closely but just want to push back a little and say that all of this is still in correlation phase rather than causation here. Even if lower vitamin D were associated with breast cancer, it doesn't by any stretch mean that increasing vitamin d levels would reduce the rate.

Dx at 39. 1.8cm. Oncotype 9. Dx 9/19/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 10/17/2018 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Hormonal Therapy 11/1/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy 12/3/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/18/2019 Fareston (toremifene)

13 hours ago debbew wrote:

Statins Appear to Protect the Heart Against Breast Cancer Treatment Toxicities

https://www.cancerhealth.com/article/statins-appear-protect-heart-breast-cancer-treatment-toxicities

Page 66 of 66 (1,963 results)