We are 214,047 members in 82 forums discussing 152,598 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: unusual cancer linked to breast implants are rising

Forum: Clinical Trials, Research News, Podcasts, and Study Results —

Share your research articles, interpretations and experiences here. Let us know how these studies affect you and your decisions.

Posted on: Dec 1, 2018 10:00AM

wallycat wrote:

https://www.fda.gov/medicaldevices/productsandmedi...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/21/health/breast-i...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/...

(unusual lymphoma from textured implants)
Dx 4/07 1 month before turning 50; ILC 1.8cm, ER+/PR+, HER2 neg., Stage 1, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes. Onco score 20, Bilateral Mast., tamoxifen 3-1/2 years, arimidex-completed 4/20/2012

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)

Posts 1 - 7 (7 total)

Dec 1, 2018 08:55PM rachelcarter35 wrote:

My plastic surgeon let me know about this and it was why I decided to go with smooth round. Like this isn't scary enough!

Dx 2/21/2018, DCIS/IDC, Both breasts, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 4/24/2018 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Nipple reconstruction, Nipple tattoo, Silicone implant, Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction, Nipple tattoo, Silicone implant, Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 6/14/2018 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Chemotherapy Targeted Therapy Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Dec 2, 2018 03:09AM Meow13 wrote:

One more reason to be happy with my DIEP.

Dec 2, 2018 11:45AM wallycat wrote:

Meow13, you are fortunate that you were able to get a cosmetic outcome and no ramifications. Not all women choose recon and not all women are able to choose what they wish they could. THought it important to mention this study for those who have more options and can eliminate a potential concern method.

I opted for no recon since I didn't want to deal with more surgery or healing or failures or complications. I think we make our decisions on our family situations, time, money and age. There's no wrong or right in deciding our health care.

Dx 4/07 1 month before turning 50; ILC 1.8cm, ER+/PR+, HER2 neg., Stage 1, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes. Onco score 20, Bilateral Mast., tamoxifen 3-1/2 years, arimidex-completed 4/20/2012

Dec 2, 2018 11:51AM Lisey wrote:

Wally, I'm so glad you posted this.  In addition, studies are now showing that round smooth implants also lead to this cancer.  I reconsidered my choice to reconstruct and am SO GLAD I did.  Plus I think I look good flat.

Oncotype =20, ER 95%, PR 5%, ki67= 30%, Mammoprint = Low, Blueprint = Luminal A!!!! TEs= Iron Bra of Death - not worth all the complications for foobs that I'll never feel. Flat and fealess now. Dx 5/11/2016, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/1/2016 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 6/14/2016 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 7/6/2016 Mastectomy: Left, Right Hormonal Therapy 7/14/2016 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Dec 3, 2018 09:38AM claireinaz wrote:

I think I went with smooth round-I don't even remember being offered textured. But Lisey, can you send the link where this type of cancer is now associated with smooth implants?

Claire in AZ

9/29/11 ILC, 2 c. stage II grade 1, ER/PR+ HER2-, 6/11 nodes, lumpectomy, DDAC x 4, Taxol x 12, 33 rads, Tamoxifen/arimidex/aromasin, BMX/immed recon 7/3/13 "In the midst of winter, I found in me an invincible summer.” Albert Camus

Dec 3, 2018 09:39PM Meow13 wrote:

Wallycat, my remark was not meant to be insensitive. Of course I know not everyone is a candidate for DIEP. It was a very large surgery and I am always looking for reassurance I made the right decision. The problem with posts is people read things that aren't there different from actually talking.

Dec 6, 2018 10:48AM wallycat wrote:

Meow, I did not take your remark as being insensitive. I know you were just sharing your experience. It is what we all do here and why we all come here---to get perspectives and to see what others have done, how it turned out and if they are happy with what they did. It is great you shared and not insensitive at all. That your outcome was wonderful is a good thing...not just for you, but anyone considering the procedure. Like I say, we all make our choices with what is available and possible for us. More options simply means more decisions. The goal is to have our decisions made with as much knowledge and contemplation as we can give it and then go live our happiest life. (((Meow13)))

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)