We are 155,675 members in 80 forums discussing 123,306 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During and After → Topic: tamoxifen anger?

Topic: tamoxifen anger?

Forum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During and After — Risks and benefits, side effects, and costs of anti-estrogen medications.

Posted on: Apr 23, 2009 06:16PM

Kimber wrote:

I have been on tamox for 14 mos.  I am noticing that I get angry VERY easily.  I can control it except with my family.  I fly off the handle so fast it scares my family.  I feel like a monster.  On the other hand, I am usually in an unbelievably good mood, but that can change in a second.  At first I felt like tamox evened me out because I had such severe PMS and now I feel like it is making me way too irritable.  I am also noticing that when the situation "heats up" I get very hot.  For instance, the kids start arguing or I am in a stressful traffic situation.  My onc told me if I did not have SE's in the first couple months that I would not, but I feel like they are starting.  I am not opposed to taking Effexor if it will help.  I can handle the hot spells, but not my family being afraid of me.  Any similar experiences being on tamox this long and suddenly experiencing SE's?

Posts 1 - 13 (13 total)

Apr 23, 2009 07:03PM Jeansbeans wrote:

Hi , the only SE I have is the horrible night sweats , which I now control with Effexor, which is what my ONC. prescribed. It is a miracle drug. I have not had one night sweat since I started taking it.  Other wise I feel just fine, no irratability. You should speak to your Dr. May need an antidepressant. Good Luck to you, Jeanie

Dx 5/12/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 23, 2009 07:22PM phoenixrising wrote:

My se grew with ea month.  It started at about 3 or 4 mos and just got worse and worse.  Eventually I had to go off it.  Most of my se were physical however the one se I had was being in a foul mood and totally depressed.  I even had the "S" thought many times.  I got rid of that se by splitting the tablet in 2 and taking 1/2 in the am and 1/2 in the pm.  In about 2 days my mood was back to normal. 

I also had my cyp2d6 checked and found out I was an intermediate metabolizer.  I don't know if that had anything to do with the horrific se or not.  At any rate I could not stay on it and have since gone on an AI.  Hope this helps.

jan

Dx 5/1/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIb, Grade 3, 3/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 24, 2009 06:07PM roseg wrote:

I think you can experience more side effects as you go along on tamoxifen. It's odd because you go 6-8 months and the initial ones pass, but for some people they just start up at 6-8 months.

Anger and depression are kind of cousins. If you feel like you're angry and it's making your life hard then I think a trial on something like Effexor could be helpful. I really think some sessions with a thearpist would be the best thing to do. Thearpy + drugs is the best way to approach these kinds of problems.  Most likely you've got stress in your life beyond just tamoxifen and consulting with a professional will help you sort things out.

Rose

Apr 26, 2009 08:07PM LeggyJ wrote:

We've been through a trauma, Rose is right, don't be ashamed to get help.  I'm on Celexa, and have seen a therapist, and will see her a few more times.  During chemo./rads., I was too tired to deal, with all my emotions about the whole thing, so after treatment, I had a difficult time feeling like, I was never going to be normal, again...I was so sick of being sick, and worried about keeping my job.  My GP suggested, Celexa and a few sessions with the therapist, saying that I should be feeling better, by then and that I was depressed.  I guess he was right, because now I finely feel on the road to recovery.

Leggyj Dx 4/3/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIa, Grade 2, 2/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 04/22/2008 Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection (Left) Chemotherapy 06/01/2008 Adriamycin, Cytoxan, Taxotere Radiation Therapy 10/20/2008 External Hormonal Therapy 01/01/2013 Arimidex Surgery 01/07/2013 Mastectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection (Left); Reconstruction: Latissimus Dorsi flap (Left) Surgery 02/21/2013 Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement (Right) Hormonal Therapy 03/19/2013 Arimidex

Apr 27, 2009 06:45AM tinkersmom wrote:

im going to call my PCP today for an appt, im hearing alot in these threads about little helper pills to take with the tamox...last night i raised a spatula at the back of the head of the same dear man who helped me with my drains, and showered me, and was the best nurse on earth after my mast and flap tram...ive only been on them a month...plus new management at work. not a good time to be showing my a..! and no, i didnt hit him...but heaven how i wanted to...and thats almost as bad.

Apr 27, 2009 08:26AM Kimber wrote:

tinkersmom,

I agree - the feeling of wanting to lash out is almost as bad as actually doing it.  I get so angry so fast it even scares me.  I have tried to be aware of it and keep it under control.  Do you think it is the tamox?  I have an appt with my gyno on Wed and I will talk to her about it.  Let me know how your appt with your dr goes. 

Strong family history, Prophylactic Bilateral Mastectomies 1/19/2010, Under "reconstruction" for 6 months.... DONE! HAPPY! Dx 1/15/2008, LCIS, 6cm+, Stage 0, ER+/PR+

Apr 27, 2009 10:25PM LeggyJ wrote:

Today, I saw my therapist, and she said anti-depressants and tamoxofen, go hand in hand.  She also told me, Celexa is an "anti-rage pill" and it works for me.  Besides of whole cancer thing at 52, and living with my mother, I have a lot of reason, to be angry....sorry Mom...

Leggyj Dx 4/3/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIa, Grade 2, 2/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 04/22/2008 Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection (Left) Chemotherapy 06/01/2008 Adriamycin, Cytoxan, Taxotere Radiation Therapy 10/20/2008 External Hormonal Therapy 01/01/2013 Arimidex Surgery 01/07/2013 Mastectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection (Left); Reconstruction: Latissimus Dorsi flap (Left) Surgery 02/21/2013 Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement (Right) Hormonal Therapy 03/19/2013 Arimidex

Apr 29, 2009 07:20PM Kimber wrote:

bump

Strong family history, Prophylactic Bilateral Mastectomies 1/19/2010, Under "reconstruction" for 6 months.... DONE! HAPPY! Dx 1/15/2008, LCIS, 6cm+, Stage 0, ER+/PR+

Apr 30, 2009 12:46AM Ked1019 wrote:

Celexa is the "anti rage pill" ... bring it on.  I wonder what the difference is between Celexa, lexapro or Effexor. I think I am walking that path back to my doctor to ask for something to help me. I have only been on it for a few weeks but have noticed I am unable to get up in the morning which I think may be the beginning signs of depression. I am also fighting pain from  a complex ovarian cyst that I have had for 8 months. Every month I go through the pain around day 7 -24 of my cycle. It sucks. My ob gyn thinks that the Tamox may help supress the ovarian function but if not then we move to an ovarian supression shot. I am very edgy, witchy and angry right now. Thinking of all you gals on this tamox train. God Bless...

Apr 30, 2009 01:27PM Susers wrote:

roseg wrote:

I think you can experience more side effects as you go along on tamoxifen. It's odd because you go 6-8 months and the initial ones pass, but for some people they just start up at 6-8 months.

Anger and depression are kind of cousins. If you feel like you're angry and it's making your life hard then I think a trial on something like Effexor could be helpful. I really think some sessions with a thearpist would be the best thing to do. Thearpy + drugs is the best way to approach these kinds of problems.  Most likely you've got stress in your life beyond just tamoxifen and consulting with a professional will help you sort things out.

I agree, my SE's did not show up until about 9 months into the drug and then BAM, they came on like a freight train. Quit to Anger, Weight Gain, Gas and Digestion Issues, Eyesight Issues.

Bilateral Mastectomy - Immediate Reconstruction - Cohesive Gel Implants by Mentor Dx 6/7/2007, ILC, 3cm, Stage IIb, Grade 2, 1/12 nodes, ER+/PR+

Aug 5, 2010 11:40AM epizarro wrote:

I know I'm months late on this forum, but if anyone can still talk on it, I'd appreciate it.

I started Tamoxifen about two years ago. After only a few months, I went to my onc and told her I've either always been a bitch, or this medicine turned me into one. I'm with Kimber in that I was yelling and screaming at my family. My gyn put me on Prozac (couldn't take b/c of interaction with Tamo metabolism), switched to Lexapro, and the anger and irritability went away. On the down side, the Lexapro made me hypomanic, and let me just say, when you're hypomanic, life is great. Everyone else notices something is wrong, but not you.

Now I'm off the Lexapro, and for the week and a half before I got something new, I was screaming and cussing like never before at my child and then my husband when he'd get mad because I screamed at my child. I'm currently seeing a psychiatrist who's trying to decide if I was always hypomanic or if the Lexapro brought it out, which is what he thinks. I'm weaning myself off the awesome Klonopin he gave me, and the irritability is slowly but surely coming back every day, but luckily no screaming fits yet. 

I think he recognizes that the Tamoxifen is the likely culprit of everything, but he has to rule out that the Lexapro brought out a suppressed mania. I just read that Tamoxifen can treat mania, so I wondered if it could have the opposite effect if you're not manic to begin with. Who knows? Irritability is a symptom of mania.

And on another note of this medication that I have THREE MORE YEARS to take, I've gained 30 pounds, and no amount of exercise, weight training or calorie monitoring does anything, and my oncologist doesn't seem to care, since her goal is to keep me cancer-free, not in my regular clothes.

Aug 5, 2010 12:00PM lvtwoqlt wrote:

Epizarro, I took tamox for 6 months and had terrible mood swings with it. My husband is a long haul trucker and never knew who he was coming home to on weekends. I was taken off of it after I was dx with DCIS and opted for bilat mast. I never talked to my doctor about taking any effexor or anything but if I had stayed on it longer I was going to ask about it.

side note, birthcontrol pills had the same effect on me (way before BC), that is why I only took them about 8 months.

Sheila

Women are like tea bags, we don't know how strong we are until we were thrown into hot water. Eleanore Roosevelt Diagnosed ADH Feb 2005, ADH Sept 2006 Dx 4/27/2007, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/7 nodes Surgery 02/12/2005 Lumpectomy (Left) Surgery 09/10/2006 Lumpectomy (Right) Hormonal Therapy 10/12/2006 Tamoxifen Surgery 06/01/2007 Mastectomy (Both)

Aug 5, 2010 02:15PM paigelise wrote:

About 2.5 months on Tamox I started getting sleepy and really annoyed with people.  Very irritable.  The irritibility turned into full on rages.  I also would have sobbing spells.  The worst part was memory problems...couldn't remember which toothbrush was mine, I would find dusting products in the fridge, I totally lost a full bottle of shower gel.  Anyway,....it started affecting my work so I started a low dose of the Effexor...it immediately stablelized my moods and helped with my cognitive problems.  I am still sleepy.  Oh I also had physical symptoms...upper back and shoulder pain that magically disappeared.  My Dr made me take a depression quiz and I was very ANGRY because I kept explaining I AM ANGRY NOT DEPRESSED.  Whatever I was I am better now.

After researching Effexor it looks like it doesn't work well for everyone and it can also be hard to get off of from the withdrawl symptoms.  In my case I feel it was worth going on.  I'm trying to stay on the 37.5 mg as long as possible in case I build up a tolerance to it.

Some people say the symptoms will subside on their own but it was interefering with my daily life so I needed to get help.

Wendy

Lumpectomy 11/6/09 Oncotype: 9 (No chemo!) BRCA: negative 33 Rads started 12/28/09 5 years Tamoxifen 3/1/10 Dx 10/20/2009, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIa, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-