We are 159,060 members in 80 forums discussing 125,737 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During and After → Topic: Breast Cancer Survivors and HCG Diet

Topic: Breast Cancer Survivors and HCG Diet

Forum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During and After — Risks and benefits, side effects, and costs of anti-estrogen medications.

Posted on: Jul 27, 2010 12:36PM

AzAnna wrote:

The HCG diet is all the rage all around me. I tend to steer clear of anything hormonal since I became a breast cancer survivor 8 years ago. Do any of you have any insight into using this diet as a survivor? I've seen dramatic results for many people with the HCG diet...

Posts 1 - 14 (14 total)

Aug 3, 2010 02:37PM KristyAnn wrote:

I am wondering about it too!!!

Neratinib trial Oct 7, 2009- on the real drug Dx 3/18/2008, IDC, <1cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Aug 29, 2010 08:11PM PB22 wrote:

I'm wondering also!

Skin sparing, nipple sparing bmx Dec, Onco score 15. "Your only as young as your implants". Dx 10/21/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 30, 2010 09:18AM rgiuff wrote:

What is the HCG diet?

RoseG Dx 4/2008, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 4/6/2008, IDC, <1cm, Stage IB, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 05/20/2008 Lumpectomy in one or both breasts: Lumpectomy in my left breast Radiation Therapy 08/20/2008

Jan 7, 2011 01:27PM cimiche wrote:

I just started it today... anyone else?

Dx 12/10/2009, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jan 7, 2011 01:47PM Timothy wrote:

I would be concerned that it is: unnatural (hormone injections), unsafe (500 calories per day), and unsustainable (what happens after you quit the hormone injections and severe calorie restriction?).  Sounds like a pharmaceutical shortcut.  Ultimately if you are going to keep the weight off, you need a change in lifestyle and the discipline to maintain it.

Concerned husband

Jan 7, 2011 01:55PM , edited Jan 7, 2011 01:59PM by Nordy

This is really the DUMBEST diet you could go on. Anyone will lose weight if they limit their caloric intake to 500 calories. Really. AND when you do that, you place your body into starvation mode, so that when you do start eating "normally" your body wants to put those new "extra" calories into storage for the next round of starvation. You are teaching your body to store its calories for times of famine. I am seconding what Timothy is saying and if you research it, you will find that it really is not safe. Whatever happened to putting in the work and making sound food choices?

Oh, and if you think from the picture, that I am just one of those people that doesn't have to work at it, you are so wrong. I have three siblings that are obese and the only reason the 4th is not is that he had gastric bypass and now loves to cycle. I have all the genetics to lead me down that path, but have chosen to work hard not to get there. And I have certainly had my struggles, including developing an eating disorder during high school that took me 9 years to get over. You have to be in charge of your food choices (not your emotions) and your activity - your body won't do it without your brain telling it to. 

www.dietsinreview.com/diet_column/07/hcg-diet-look-elsewhere-for-weight-loss/
Do or do not. There is no try. (Yoda!) 2 large positive nodes before neoadjuvant chemo - all nodes negative after chemo Dx 4/21/2005, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 0/12 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Jan 7, 2011 02:04PM AnneW wrote:

I wish there was a "like"button like on FaceBook--I'd mark your post that way, Nordy!

2002 IDC stage 1, grade 1, rads & AI Dx 9/18/2007, ILC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 7, 2011 02:08PM Timothy wrote:

Journal of Clinical Nutrition article:

http://www.ajcn.org/content/29/9/940.full.pdf

Concerned husband

Jan 7, 2011 02:54PM Member_of_the_Club wrote:

When you put yourself into starvation mode your body learns to conserve energy and when you start eating anything close to the typical diet you will get everything back plus some.

There are no shortcuts.  Eat healthy foods, smaller portions, exercise.  Thats the only way.

I also come from a family with obese people.   

Dx 9/30/2004, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 7, 2011 02:59PM Timothy wrote:

The claim is made that the HCG prevents: 1) hunger 2) ill effects from caloric deprivation.

Problem is that neither claim appears to be substantiated.  The HCG part seems to add nothing, and must be costly.

Concerned husband

Jan 8, 2011 01:55PM KEW wrote:

If I remember correctly HCG is the hormone they use in pregnancy tests.  If that is true, I'd like to know where they are getting it.  I'd steer clear.  I have a coworker how is losing weight like crazy on it, but she is in her 50's and HCG shouldn't be present in her body.  Kind of scares me.

Age DX: 48. Dx Oct 2008, IDC, 2.6cm, Stage IIa, Grade 2, 0/10 nodes,100%ER+/Pr+, HER2-, Oncotype Score 15. BLM with reconstruction Nov 2008.

Jan 8, 2011 03:22PM Nordy wrote:

Thanks Anne!

Oh, and I forgot one very key thing. One of my sister-in-laws did this diet... two times in a row. Interesting enough a couple weeks after she came off she developed a stress fracture (doing... NOTHING extra as far as exercise) in one of her tarsals (these are the bones in your feet). Of course when I mentioned that maybe the whopping 500 calorie per day diet in addition to what the hormone might do, may have caused a mineral depletion in her bones - she was totally in denial. I just don't think the HCG diet is a smart choice. Actually, I KNOW the HCG diet is not a smart choice.

Do or do not. There is no try. (Yoda!) 2 large positive nodes before neoadjuvant chemo - all nodes negative after chemo Dx 4/21/2005, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 0/12 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Dec 28, 2011 07:16PM Lisa75 wrote:

I tried this diet and only lasted about 4 days..not for me. its supposed to release your fat stores into the bloodstream and even though you only eat 500 calories, your body uses the fat in the bloodstream to burn off.
This was before I was diagnosed with DCIS...so sometimes I can only wonder. Frown
37, 3/1/2012 Uni MX w/direct implant. 2 nodes removed Dx 12/12/2011, DCIS, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+

Jan 2, 2012 12:04PM AmyIsStrong wrote:

I have been looking into this diet as well. I work out 6 days/week very hard and eat reasonably well. The weight WILL JUST NOT COME OFF.  I would like to only lose about 20 lbs. and I would be content. 

I did read a study of a doc from Harvard Medical School who said that this hormone could serve as a breast cancer PREVENTATIVE in the future.  But also read anecdotal stuff from people who were dx after using it.   Anyone else have info on this?

Lumpectomy 4/09, TCH 4/09-8/09, Rads 8/09-10/09 Herceptin 4/09-3/10,Tamoxifen 10/09 - 10/12. Cervical polyp from Tamox, had D&C - benign. Now on Arimidex 10/12. Total hysterectomy 4/13 Dx 3/2/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+