Join Us

We are 216,717 members in 84 forums discussing 160,161 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Bottle 'o Tamoxifen

Forum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During, and After —

Risks and benefits, side effects, and costs of anti-estrogen medications. Note: Please remember that there are good experiences and bad with ALL treatments and this is a safe place to share YOUR experience, not to be influenced or influence others.

Posted on: Nov 26, 2007 12:02PM - edited Nov 15, 2017 10:59AM by Moderators

ashaby wrote:

Dear All, (and Layne are you there?)

Got my Tamox today and will start in a week. Where are my tamoxi pals? It says weight loss for one of the side effects. Now that's a good thing. Basha

Edited by Mods to add content from the main Breastcancer.org site's section on Tamoxifen in Pill Form (Brand Name: Nolvadex): Benefits, Side Effects and More

Dx 4/4/2007, DCIS, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Page 1006 of 1,016 (30,458 results)

Posts 30151 - 30180 (30,458 total)

Nov 14, 2019 10:43PM runor wrote:

Molliefish, this does seem to be correct. There had been mention of this on other threads. Can't remember which. Instead of my usual 3 month allotment, I was given one. Hmmm.

Dx 3/23/2017, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 4/12/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 7/5/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Nov 15, 2019 01:43AM edj3 wrote:

You can have mine--I'm not taking it ;)

Tried the tamoxifen, no thanks. Dx 4/9/2019, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 5/5/2019 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Dx 5/6/2019, LCIS, Left, <1cm, 0/1 nodes Radiation Therapy 6/2/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 9/22/2019 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Nov 15, 2019 05:00AM Lomlin wrote:

Hi all, just saw my oncologist yesterday, I was mentioning that I felt really fatigued, just like all of a sudden since the weekend. She had me do a cbc count and my hemoglobin is down, it's 11.9, should be 12-16 for women. She wants to do another blood test for B12, folate and iron. Plus she recommends a colonoscopy. Why the colonscopy? I don't get that. Anyway anyone experiencing anemia from taking the Tamoxifen. I have been on it since August 2018 and take 20mg. I still have my hair falling out since February of this year. Getting pretty annoying cleanin up hair all over the place.

Nov 15, 2019 05:09AM edj3 wrote:

Hey LomLin, the colonoscopy will rule out any microscopic bleeding from your colon.

Tried the tamoxifen, no thanks. Dx 4/9/2019, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 5/5/2019 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Dx 5/6/2019, LCIS, Left, <1cm, 0/1 nodes Radiation Therapy 6/2/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 9/22/2019 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Nov 15, 2019 05:16AM Lomlin wrote:

Wouldn't I notice if I was having any problems with the colon now?

Nov 15, 2019 05:27AM TrmTab wrote:

LomLin - I had my 6 month follow up with MO on Tuesday...he didn't take blood at all. When I questioned him on it, not taking blood like he did regularly when I was on Arimedix he said "no need to with T"

Now I need to get my primary back on schedule to take blood as she stopped because MO was taking blood 2-3 times a year! It's a merry go round. TT

Dx 9/2015, DCIS, Left, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+ Surgery 12/21/2015 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 1/11/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 2/5/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 6/3/2016 Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 1/1/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 9/8/2017 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant Surgery 12/17/2018 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 5/12/2019 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Nov 15, 2019 05:47AM Pi-Xi wrote:

News report on the Canadian tamoxifen shortage.

https://apple.news/ASCIT40AhTc2cKF6OJkj_ww

Needless to say, I got on securing my next prescription refill the next day

Oncotype 12 Dx 4/7/2016, DCIS, Left, 2cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, ER+/PR+ Surgery 7/11/2016 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Dx 8/3/2016, DCIS/IDC/IDC: Papillary, Left, 1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 9/1/2016 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Nov 15, 2019 05:52AM edj3 wrote:

LomLin, not necessarily. Microscopic means it's nearly impossible to see.

True story, a few years ago when I traveled about 95% of the time for work (all by plane), I took one aspirin a day as a preventative measure for deep vein thrombosis. After a couple of years of that, my blood work showed a drop in red blood cells. I've always run slightly anemic but this time I was well into anemic territory.

So my PCP told me to stop taking the aspirin for a month and then get retested. He said if it didn't drop, he would order other tests (including a colonoscopy) to see what was going on. But good news for me, stopping the aspirin did the trick and I returned to my normal, slightly anemic levels.

That's when he told me that in some people (waves hand), aspirin can cause that microscopic bleeding in the gut. Needless to say, I don't take aspirin any more.

Nov 15, 2019 07:05AM Lomlin wrote:

Thanks edj3, you have been very helpful. I don't mind the test or even the prep (sort of), it's how long I need to endure going without food, I can't last 12 hours without food and start to feel dizzy and disoriented. Glad that stopping aspirin did the trick for you. I am hoping for me all I need is an iron supplement or more B. It's just so weird how this came on so suddenly. Last time and the first time I had a colonscopy was when my period was extremenly heavy and they recommended it, again, don't know why, but everything was fine. Thanks again. I really like coming to this forum everyone is so helpful.

Nov 15, 2019 07:07AM Lomlin wrote:

I did see this:

Low blood cell counts have happened with this medicine (tamoxifen tablets). If blood cell counts get very low, this can lead to bleeding problems, infections, or anemia. ... This medicine may raise the chance of getting cataracts or the need to have cataract surgery. Talk with the doctor.

Tamoxifen Tablets: Indications, Side Effects, Warnings - Drugs ...
www.drugs.com › cdi › tamoxifen-tablets

Nov 15, 2019 07:19AM edj3 wrote:

I'm really glad your dr is on top of this for you.

Nov 15, 2019 09:32AM runor wrote:

Re: tamoxifen shortages. I know not everyone is comfortable with my view, but I am pretty confident that I'll make it until 2020 with my current supply of tamox, because I take half a pill a day. I think if people are worried about running out, they could cut back to 1/2 a pill a day until there is more Tamoxifen available and then resume their 20mg tablet. I would rather stay on a drug I am familiar with than do a short shift over to another drug and then bounce back to tamoxifen again. My one month supply will last me almost twice that long. I do take a whole pill twice a week, I am pretty confident (perhaps wrongly) that there is sufficient tamoxifen in my system. Consider 1/2 tablets for the short term.

Dx 3/23/2017, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 4/12/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 7/5/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Nov 15, 2019 04:25PM - edited Nov 15, 2019 04:25PM by Pi-Xi

runor,

If I couldn't secure a supply, that was my plan! I was just on a glorious break from tamoxifen for surgery, otherwise I may have looked at the shortage as divine intervention. 😆

Oncotype 12 Dx 4/7/2016, DCIS, Left, 2cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, ER+/PR+ Surgery 7/11/2016 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Dx 8/3/2016, DCIS/IDC/IDC: Papillary, Left, 1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 9/1/2016 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Nov 15, 2019 10:37PM WorryThePooh wrote:

I only just read in the news about the international shortage, yesterday I went to get my Tamoxifen script and they said it would be at least a month before they will have any!

Dx 11/2018, IDC, Right, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 11/21/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 12/13/2018 Whole-breast Hormonal Therapy 2/28/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole), Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Nov 16, 2019 02:29AM edj3 wrote:

I seriously wish I could get my unused stuff to one of you, legally.

Nov 16, 2019 06:52AM Lomlin wrote:

Is the shortage in the USA or just Canada?

Nov 16, 2019 08:14AM - edited Nov 16, 2019 08:15AM by Nancy618

Good morning ladies!

I haven't been here for a while. It was nice to catch up on a couple week's worth of posts. And I have to say, I was nodding through most!

I'm back on tamoxifen for 2 weeks after a month off. I had horrible knee pain and thigh cramps, so the MO took me off until I saw him for my checkup. It took about 3 weeks, but I was back to myself! I still had knee issues which has since been determined to be either a Baker's cyst or arthritis. But my mood was GOOD! My hair loss stopped. I had energy. I WANTED to do things and go places.

After 2 weeks back on, I'm experiencing depression like I haven't had since being on AIs. I don't want to go anywhere or do anything, but I feel anxious. I do have a craft show in 2 weeks and I am so disorganized and unmotivated. The only good thing is the hair loss hasn't started yet.

The decision to go back on the tamoxifen was mine. MO was good with anything I chose. Oncotype 14. 11% chance of recurrence. In the end, I decided to take them. My reasoning was that if I did get cancer again, I would kick myself for not taking it. I'm going to hope that the symptoms get better... A month in Florida in February might help. But if I continue to be weepy with no energy, I think I'm going to opt for quality rather than quantity of life.

My heart goes out to all of you who are struggling. It just doesn't seem fair that we have to deal with breast cancer and then have another battle with the side effects of the drugs.

Oncotype 14 Philippians 4:13 Supplements: 500mg calcium, 500mg magnesium, 3000IU Vit D3, , 800mg Turmeric, Multi-Vitamin, Femdophlius, Align Dx 3/6/2017, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/30/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 4/16/2017 Lumpectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy 5/5/2017 Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy 5/23/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 12/25/2017 Aromasin (exemestane) Hormonal Therapy 4/24/2018 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 9/19/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Nov 17, 2019 01:32AM WorryThePooh wrote:

LomLin the shortage is worldwide.

Dx 11/2018, IDC, Right, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 11/21/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 12/13/2018 Whole-breast Hormonal Therapy 2/28/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole), Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Nov 18, 2019 05:02AM Lomlin wrote:

Thanks WorryThe Pooh, it is because they aren't making it fast enough?

Maybe taking 1/2 pill will make my supply last longer too, runor.

Nancy618 - I feel you on the Tamoxifen, if I were to stop and got the cancer back I, too, would kick myself for stopping it. My hair has been falling out since February of this year. I have been on Tamoxifen since August 2018. Once in a while I miss a dose and even missing a dose I feel better, probably more mental than anything. I, too, don't feel like doing anything, mainly because I see people in a different perspective now and don't want to deal with their pettyness.

Nov 18, 2019 11:00AM runor wrote:

Was reading on a Canadian website this morning about women across Canada having a hard time getting their tamox. And I'm thinking..... would this not be the perfect time to do some research on low dose tamoxifen? Here we have a COUNTRY that can't get enough (not clear if this is worldwide or not) this is the perfect excuse for docs to say, take HALF your dose for the next month until the supply comes back on line. I am no researcher, but could there not be information collected on women who take 1/2 a tab for the duration of the pill strike, and then follow them to see what recurrence rate can (or cannot) be associated with this low dose event? I know there is more to research than this, but you get my drift.

I am ASTONISHED by the non-thinking of doctors who could RIGHTLY say,' there is no evidence whatsoever that you must have 20 mg a day for it to be effective. No. Evidence. So...take half a tab and do not panic.' Because women are panicking. We have been lead to believe we NEED that 20mg a day or cancer will come to claim us. It's terrible. It's almost abusive, really. So many of us have been scared to death that we are hanging every last hope of not dying on that stupid little pill. And it's kind of bullshit. Because , truth number one, you can take 20mg a day like a good little patient and SURPRISE! you can get new cancer or metastatic cancer anyway. It happens ALL THE TIME! So, is swallowing that pill really making you safe? Well, it's stacking the odds in your favour but you're still playing a game of Russian roulette. Your odds may be just as good with 1/2 a tab a day but it seems doctors are not thinking clearly enough to suggest this. And it's cruel. People are freaking out. I don't think they need to. I think they should feel comfortable and safe taking 1/2 a tab for a month or two until this shortage works out. It is terrible the anxiety this is causing. With some creative suggestions from docs, that one month supply you have left could easily be a two month supply. Some docs might be doing this, but not enough. Not by a long shot.

Nov 18, 2019 12:22PM DorothyB wrote:

I just got a 3 month supply last week here in Texas. My prescription is for 2 10 mg pills per day. I wonder if 10 mg pills are any more available in Canada? I'm currently only taking 10 mg / day so good for a while.

Diag. 4/19/2019 ER+ PR+ HER2 neg Lumpectomy 5/29/2019 IDC w/ DICS 2.0 cm Grade 3

Nov 18, 2019 12:35PM Beaverntx wrote:

Have seen references to Tamoxifen "shortage" in Canada, UK and Australia. I used quote marks because some of the references stated a person might not be able to get their regular brand ( seems like I get a different manufacturer every three months anyway) or should try another pharmacy. Leads one to wonder where there is a true shortage , which does seem to be the case in Canada and Australia, and where there is some disruption of supply of one brand. I'm due for my 3 month refill in a couple of weeks so will find out how it is in this part of Texas.

Good luck to those who are truly dealing with a shortage. Runor's suggestion is exactly what I was thinking I would do if the need arises.

Diagnosed at age 77-- Oncotype 17, dealing with this bump in the road of life!!🎆 Dx 1/24/2018, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, 0/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Dx 1/30/2018, DCIS, Right, <1cm, Stage 0 Surgery 1/30/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 3/11/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Surgery 6/15/2018 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jan 10, 2020 01:44AM runor wrote:

No post since Nov 18? What's going on with everyone?

My latest thing is the fat. The fat around the middle. The spare tire. And not only is it super gross looking, but I feel awful too. I just feel...thick. Uncomfortable. It's so odd that I have thought, gee, is this what an enlarged uterus feels like? Is this what ovarian cancer feels like? Or am I just constipated? Constantly constipated. Whatever it is, it is uncomfortable and miserable and while I have never been a thin, slight person, this bulk around the belly can seriously piss off.

Was standing in the bathroom the other night, snipping pills in half with a very fine and very sharp thread snipper by Fiskars, wondering what the state of the tamoxifen crisis was. Have no idea about that. But snipping a pill in half with a thin, sharp scissor works pretty darn good. Try it!

Jan 10, 2020 05:28AM edj3 wrote:

Despite telling my MO's PA that I would give tamoxifen one more try, I don't think I will. That heart rate stuff was awful, and I'm training for a marathon now.I don't want to jeopardize that training by taking something so toxic.

Jan 16, 2020 03:11PM jallyson wrote:

Hi Ladies, I actually decreased my pill about 6 months ago, only taking every other day. After not having a period for almost 2 years, it appeared yesterday and continues. Has this happened to anyone who decreased their dose? I don't believe I was in natural menopause, but induced by tamoxifen. I was only 50 two years ago when I had my last period. I emailed my gyn to ask her thoughts. She wants me to come see her and have an ultrasound. I think I see another uterine biopsy in my future... ouch - did not like that. Would love to know if anyone experienced the same if you stopped or altered your dose. Thanks.

Dx 2/5/2015, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/10/2015 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 5/19/2015 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 8/3/2016 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Jan 16, 2020 03:59PM runor wrote:

Hmmm. I was having regular (horrible!) periods when I was diagnosed. I have not had a single period since I started tamoxifen. On said it would not affect my period. How wrong he was! I am pretty sure that at 53 at diagnosis I had not yet entered menopause as I had no menopausal symptoms and a period that was in full swing and showing no signs of stopping.

Like you, I do not take the full 20mg every day. I take half a tab (10 mg) most days and a full tab twice a week. I have not had any bleeding, spotting, nothing. But my dose, although lower than most, is constant. But even if you take a full tab every other day, the levels of tamoxifen in your system remain fairly high. It's not like those levels drop off dramatically over a 24 hour period (says me who is not a doctor).

I think you should also alert your oncologist to this event. If I suddenly started having a period again I would throw myself in front of a train! No more periods was the ONLY good thing out of this whole shitty experience. BUt I would be very alarmed if I started bleeding now. I hope it passes and the ultra sound reveals all is normal and no biopsy is required.

Jan 17, 2020 12:25AM edj3 wrote:

As per usual, agree w/ runor--get that checked out to make sure it is indeed your body's reaction to tamoxifen and nothing more.

Jan 17, 2020 02:13AM jallyson wrote:

Thanks Runor and Ej3. I was diagnosed at 47 and it took 3 years for period to stop. The fact that it returned after not doing so for 2 years does freak me out a bit and possibly want to jump in front of a train too, lol. Actually, I am approaching 5 years on this damn pill. At my last visit with MO, she was suggesting that I switch over to an AI shortly and told me to think about it until I see her in May. I do not feel inclined to do so. Will keep you posted on my GYN appointments in a couple weeks. Enjoy the day.

Dx 2/5/2015, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/10/2015 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 5/19/2015 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 8/3/2016 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Jan 17, 2020 08:39AM TrmTab wrote:

Well, if you are still having periods (again) then you cannot go to an AI, you have to be fully past cycles/in menopause for AI.

Dx 9/2015, DCIS, Left, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+ Surgery 12/21/2015 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 1/11/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 2/5/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 6/3/2016 Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 1/1/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 9/8/2017 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant Surgery 12/17/2018 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 5/12/2019 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jan 18, 2020 01:17AM WorryThePooh wrote:

Although I find the hot flashes rather tiresome, I was interested to find an article which says they are a sign the treatment is working well.

""Hot flashes are a good sign for women with breast cancer." Did you read that right? If you're living with hot flashes, you know that the sensation is not as pleasant as you may have once pictured it. One woman who described hot flashes as "having her own private summer" must have forgotten about the heaps of laundry that go with these periodic drenchings. Yet we are learning that hot flashes aren't always bad. In fact, they may be a silver lining, predicting that your breast cancer treatment is working or that you are at lower risk than if you weren't having hot flashes with these medications."

Page 1006 of 1,016 (30,458 results)