Topic: Bottle 'o Tamoxifen

Forum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During, and After — This is a safe place to share your experiences of others considering or on hormonal treatment.

Posted on: Nov 26, 2007 03:02PM - edited Nov 15, 2017 01:59PM by moderators

Posted on: Nov 26, 2007 03:02PM - edited Nov 15, 2017 01:59PM by moderators

ashaby wrote:

Dear All, (and Layne are you there?)

Got my Tamox today and will start in a week. Where are my tamoxi pals? It says weight loss for one of the side effects. Now that's a good thing. Basha

Edited by Mods to add content from the main Breastcancer.org site's section on Tamoxifen in Pill Form (Brand Name: Nolvadex): Benefits, Side Effects and More

Dx 4/4/2007, DCIS, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-
Log in to post a reply

Page 2 of 3,071 (30,705 results)

Log in to post a reply

Nov 26, 2007 10:26PM - edited Nov 26, 2007 10:37PM by Harley44

Debbie,

What do you say we start a new thread... starting Tamoxifen in December?  Since November is almost over.... Where DID this year go??? 

Harley

Log in to post a reply

Nov 27, 2007 12:38AM Cynthia1962 wrote:

I'm so glad there are quite a few of us who recently started or will be starting Tamoxifen.  It'll be helpful to compare notes.  I've been on it two weeks and I believe the hot flashes have begun.  I had them with the chemo pause, but they were almost completely gone before I started the Tamoxifen and now I'm having a few a day.  So far, they aren't bad but I read that they usually peak at 6 weeks. 

I'm experiencing restless leg syndrome again, and I don't know if it's from the Tamoxifen or the Toprol I'm on to slow my heart down.   I wonder if I'm going to be on Ativan for the rest of my life.  Frown

Cynthia 

Mets to bones Dx 1/3/2007, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 4/18 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/16/2007 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary Chemotherapy 3/19/2007 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 9/6/2007 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 11/9/2007 Hormonal Therapy 11/1/2010 Arimidex (anastrozole) Dx 11/11/2010, IDC, Stage IV, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 6/1/2012 Xeloda (capecitabine) Chemotherapy 11/14/2012 Navelbine (vinorelbine)
Log in to post a reply

Nov 27, 2007 01:38AM Cynthia1962 wrote:

Is anyone getting a baseline endometrial biopsy or ultrasound?  It was suggested to me, but I'm curious if it's really necessary.  In fact, I'm hoping my cycles start back up, so it won't be an issue.  

Cynthia 

Mets to bones Dx 1/3/2007, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 4/18 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/16/2007 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary Chemotherapy 3/19/2007 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 9/6/2007 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 11/9/2007 Hormonal Therapy 11/1/2010 Arimidex (anastrozole) Dx 11/11/2010, IDC, Stage IV, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 6/1/2012 Xeloda (capecitabine) Chemotherapy 11/14/2012 Navelbine (vinorelbine)
Log in to post a reply

Nov 27, 2007 09:24AM Member_of_the_Club wrote:

I had heavy and prolonged bleeding after my period came back, a few months after starting tamox, so i had an endometrial biopsy and transvaginal ultrasound then. All was well. Thursday I am having another transvaginal ultrasound because it has been two years. I don't know that you need a baseline but if you have any issues at all, you should have the tests and definitely a periodic ultrasound.

Dx 9/30/2004, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-
Log in to post a reply

Nov 27, 2007 09:31AM my3girls wrote:

Cynthia...I had the hot flashes before tamox...they have increased just a little...I have to say, I think I am getting used to them now.  I had my last period back in April, one month after starting my chemo, no signs of it coming back. My oc said I was probably in early menapause..and I may not get them back at all.  So I guess we have to get used to the hot flashes!  The only good thing about them...in Ohio..it's cold right now..so they keep me warm! haha

xoxo

Lisa

Worry is for "shit"! Live, Laugh, Love! //unilateral mast//reconst. 2/4/08 Dx 3/6/2007, IDC, 3cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 0/22 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-
Log in to post a reply

Nov 27, 2007 09:52AM my3girls wrote:

Haha...thanks for sharing the laughter laynel!! I know that is not something I would want to hear either!  Thanks for the reminder too...I need to make an apt with the gyno for January!!

Funny how you said..you have a terrible obsession with ovarian cancer..for no reason at all...that has been me with bc..for no reason.  And because of that, I had never had a mamm or did self exams..because of my fear...until I HAD to, last Feb!! Funny how our minds work.

Congrats to all that are finishing their tx's..and to all who are completed!! Moving on........such a great thing to say!!

xoxo

Lisa

Worry is for "shit"! Live, Laugh, Love! //unilateral mast//reconst. 2/4/08 Dx 3/6/2007, IDC, 3cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 0/22 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-
Log in to post a reply

Nov 27, 2007 10:32AM ashaby wrote:

Hi Everybody, current and future Tamoxibuddies,

It really does say on the flyer that weight loss is a possible side effect. Says not a thing about gain. So cool. I start on Dec 2 because on Dec. 1, I'm having a party to celebrate friends and health. We will be serving chocolate cupcakes with pink icing and raspberry nipples. Join me virtually.
Layne, big kudos for finishing your radiatio, you ferocious warrior.

XXX Basha

Dx 4/4/2007, DCIS, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-
Log in to post a reply

Nov 27, 2007 10:51AM my3girls wrote:

Ashaby...what a great idea!!  So far no weight loss for me Cry. I have actually lost 3 lbs...but I started running again...and really, really cutting back on my intake!

maybe the weight loss will come later??  Hope so!!

Worry is for "shit"! Live, Laugh, Love! //unilateral mast//reconst. 2/4/08 Dx 3/6/2007, IDC, 3cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 0/22 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-
Log in to post a reply

Nov 27, 2007 12:35PM my3girls wrote:

Layne...I am between Akron and Cleveland...city called Wadsworth.  Been here my whole life.  I have a nephew in Dayton...he and his sister went to UofD.

I understand the whole weight gain, working out problems!! I used to go to a gym and run, etc.  I can't afford the gym any longer..and I do miss it!  I ran until this cancer hit last winter.  I have tried to walk 3 miles at least 3 or 4 times a week through all my tx, except for after my surgery.  I am just anxious to get somewhat of my old body back...haha...if that is at all possible??!!

Good luck to you and your new training program!  Start on the new you healthy eating now...I had too..cause like you...I was eating too much...because I had cancer...easy to do!

Best of luck to everyone!

xoxo

Lisa

Worry is for "shit"! Live, Laugh, Love! //unilateral mast//reconst. 2/4/08 Dx 3/6/2007, IDC, 3cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 0/22 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-
Log in to post a reply

Nov 27, 2007 03:39PM Harley44 wrote:

Cynthia,

I, too, am having additional issues with the RLS problem...  Strangely, it is only on days when I also take my new higher dose of Effexor XR... 150 mg... I was taking 75, but since I anticipated having terrible hot flashes and night sweats, I got my dose increased.  I just started the new higher dose, but I gotta tell ya, it ain't working too well...  On days when I take it, I have terrible insomnia and restless leg syndrome at night and can't sleep at all!  Now, I am only taking it every other day, so I can still be on the lower dose until I know for sure if the hot flashes and night sweats are back and if so, if I need the extra help with a higher dose of Effexor. 

I am seriously thinking of just staying on the 75 dose, since I had less trouble with it.

Harley

Page 2 of 3,071 (30,705 results)

Scroll to top button