We are 171,017 members in 80 forums discussing 133,132 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During and After → Topic: tamoxifen/menopause weight gain

Topic: tamoxifen/menopause weight gain

Forum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During and After — Risks and benefits, side effects, and costs of anti-estrogen medications.

Posted on: Mar 27, 2008 03:17PM

bluesky wrote:

I am 43 years old and I was diagonsed with breast cancer in October 2006, I had 8 rounds of chemo and 30 rounds of radiation, I have been on tamoxifen for 1 year, and I have put on 20 pounds since everthing, most of the weight gain occured when I started the tamoxifen, I was also put into menopause by the chemo.  I was very slim when all of this started and am beside myself, I am grateful to be once again healthy, but very very upset over this weight gain, I also don't feel super healthy, I am constantly tired, I was very very healthy, can someone give any advice on how they coped, or lost weight and did this happen to anyone else?

Dx 10/25/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 4/18 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 2 (47 results)

Posts 1 - 30 (47 total)

Mar 27, 2008 03:54PM newvickie wrote:

Hi Bluesky...I am in the same shape as you...it truly sucks.  I am 46 and never weighed over 110 lbs (which was a bit too thin) and have gained a belly and an ever expanding behind on the Tamoxifen...I am also in menopause.  I have no answers as I have tried everything and the weight just hangs on and continues to climb.  Hope we can both get some ideas soon!  Hugs to you.

Vickie

Mar 28, 2008 04:07PM Cynthia1962 wrote:

Hi Ladies,

I'm wondering if it's menopause and not Tamoxifen causing the weight gain. I've been on Tamoxifen for 4 months and haven't gained any weight accept what I lost during chemo, but while I'm still in chemopause, my estradial level indicates that I'm still premenopausal (I'm 45).  My tummy turned to jelly right after my cycles stopped from chemo, though.  Lovely, huh?!!  

Sorry I can't be more help...I know there are a lot of women on this board with the same issues so I'm sure they will chime in.  

Cynthia 

Mets to bones Dx 1/3/2007, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 4/18 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/16/2007 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary Chemotherapy 3/19/2007 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 9/6/2007 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 11/9/2007 Hormonal Therapy 11/1/2010 Arimidex (anastrozole) Dx 11/11/2010, IDC, Stage IV, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 6/1/2012 Xeloda (capecitabine) Chemotherapy 11/14/2012 Navelbine (vinorelbine)

Mar 28, 2008 04:21PM kcq wrote:

I have been "counting calories" since I was 12!!!  I have always had to watch my weight.  I have not gained any weight with the Tamox and I hope that I dont.  I have been on it since November 07.  Something is making me sick--either the Tamox or Herceptin.  I have noticed that I am a lot hungrier than before the Tamox.  I dont know if that is increasing my appetite or what.  I really have to work hard on not eating too much.  But I had to work hard at it all my life, so I am kinda used to it.  Good luck.  Heres to no more weight gain!!Tongue out
Kim Dx 5/1/2007, ILC, 4cm, Stage IIB, 1/4 nodes, ER+, HER2+

Mar 28, 2008 06:41PM awb wrote:

I've been on tamoxifen for nearly 4.5 years and I've been menopausal for nearly 3 (total hysterectomy). I've gained about 8 to 10 pounds, but more annoying is the increase in belly fat.  I try to eat a very healthy diet and exercise and I can't seem to lose an ounce, no matter what.  It will be interesting to see if the weight comes off when I finish with the tamox.

"I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds the future" Dx 9/5/2003, LCIS, Stage 0, 0/0 nodes Surgery 9/16/2003 Lumpectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy 10/30/2003 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 4/5/2005 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 2/28/2009 Evista (raloxifene)

Mar 28, 2008 06:41PM awb wrote:

I've been on tamoxifen for nearly 4.5 years and I've been menopausal for nearly 3 (total hysterectomy). I've gained about 8 to 10 pounds, but more annoying is the increase in belly fat.  I try to eat a very healthy diet and exercise and I can't seem to lose an ounce, no matter what.  It will be interesting to see if the weight comes off when I finish with the tamox.

"I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds the future" Dx 9/5/2003, LCIS, Stage 0, 0/0 nodes Surgery 9/16/2003 Lumpectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy 10/30/2003 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 4/5/2005 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 2/28/2009 Evista (raloxifene)

Mar 28, 2008 09:50PM Member_of_the_Club wrote:

I gained weight my first year on tamoxifen and went on Weight Watchers and it came right off and I've kept it off. I do have to work harder to keep it off than before, but I've been able to do it. I think its an ageing thing as much as anything and we have to adjust our eating and exercise habits.

Dx 9/30/2004, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 29, 2008 01:48PM bluesky wrote:

hi everyone,

thanks for your comments, i think the gain is from everything put together, the chemo, being put into menopause, tamoxifen our bodies have gone thru so much, i keep telling myself to give it time.

i've just started taking cla which is conjugated linoleic acid, all natural very beneficial to the body, it helps with weight loss, (see wellness partners.com for more info, i've also started an intense pilates, yoga and fast walking routine as well as caloric intake cutback, so i'm hoping to see some results soon. wishing everyone health and much needed weight lose.

Mar 29, 2008 07:46PM ChicoTrish wrote:

I'm fighting the weight, too.  It seemed nothing was working and I felt like I was starving myself.  My sweetheart and I made a pact about five weeks ago:  we are getting up at 5:30 a.m. and spending 30-45 minutes at the gym every workday morning.  We are also getting there most weekends.  For me, the daily exercise is apparently the key.  The weight is creeping down slowly, but noticably.  Perhaps more important is my now sky-high energy level.  I feel good again, finally.  These lifestyle changes, including our improved eating habits, are going to have to be a life-time commitment.  It really helps that my guy is working with me on this.  Best of luck to everyone.

Mar 29, 2008 09:38PM choco wrote:

I was diagnosed 4 years ago at the age of 36 with breast cancer.  I've been on tamoxifen for 3 years and have gained about 25 pounds.  I've tried Weight Watchers and walked and lifted weights for 3 months and lost  2 pounds.  I had a partial hysterectomy because of the tamoxifen, so I still have my ovaries.  I am still pre-menopausal.  I didn't have this weight gain problem or problem losing weight before I was on tamoxifen.  I am not an over-eater or an unhealthy eater. (I do have to have my chocolate fix, but I had that before the cancer.)  No one will ever convince me it's not the med.   Everyone I know who is on tamoxifen is going through the same thing I am.  I am really ready to get off of this med and just take my chances.

Mar 29, 2008 09:56PM bluesky wrote:

dear choco,

i agree with you, no one will ever convince me that it's not the tamoxifen, i'm in menopause that chemo so graciously gave me!

i'm 43 and was 41 when i was dxd. i too have gained 25pds since the

bc ordeal. i have heard from some women on tamx who have lost weight but it takes a rigourous exercise and diet to do so and even than it takes forever. i wish i could go off it, i'm too scared. i have 4 more years of this. i truly feel, that now that i am excercising more and eating very little i will lose the weight, i also started cla, you can read more about it on wellnessparters.com it helps with wl and is safe and natural. take care.

Mar 29, 2008 11:55PM unlimited wrote:

I have been on tamoxifen since late July 2007 -- and by the end of the first month gained like 8 pounds  grrrrrrrrrr -- I had extra weight to begin with - so don't needed the added 8-10 pounds  -   Luckily with chemo I lost 10 pounds -----    I just JOINED  WEIGHT WATCHERS  thursday  --  and anxious to see how that works - I do regularly work out at Curves 4 times a week  - But now have STEP that UP - to 5-6 times a week - and more time on the machines....

With the nicer weather now  approaching in WISCONSIN - ( Lts hope  -- we had a record snow fall of 100.2 in since Dec 1 )  I want to really start walking daily  etc ---

I am alos anxious to make a trip to the natural food / supplement store on Monday and check out the   ' CLA " supplements  --- -  reading up on it  -- ( googling )  looks like it would be to my advantage -- since I also struggle with an under-active thyroid for many yrs -----   

SO I am hoping weight watchers will also help me --   

Dx 11/20/2006, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 1/21 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 30, 2008 12:21PM roseg wrote:

Different people have different reactions to tamoxifen. Many people who have chemothearpy trade muscle for fat because they feel so crummy they get less active.  Most people won't lose weight with exercise alone, but it's important because it keeps your muscle tone up, so you have to both diet and exercise.

I didn't find that I gained weight on tamoxifen, but I'm on the neurotic side about my diet.

It is incredibly easy to be snacking and tasting your way to way more calories than you would think. You have to be brutal about what you are eating, which means getting your measuring cups out and actually measuring portions out.

For me as I've gotten older I've found that fat calories might as well be applied to my bathroom scale, so I've moved to a lower-fat higher protein diet.  

Rose

Mar 30, 2008 01:05PM bluesky wrote:

hi rose,

i understand the getting older part, but i've been watching what i eat my entire life, i eat very well, and control portions, i'm a yoga teacher and very into the health thing, i eat organic, no chemicals, modified foods, very low fat, but i do admit not much cardio, just yoga and pilates, now i've added cardio, so i'm hoping that will work.

thanks for your comments and it's good to hear that women actually lose weight on the tamoxifen.

Mar 30, 2008 02:53PM - edited Mar 30, 2008 02:54PM by AlaskaAngel

Hi,

Add me to the list of those of fairly active people who ever since chemopause 6 years ago cannot eat anywhere near a "normal" diet without gaining weight.

After adding 20 pounds during treatment due to the steroids given with chemo I learned firsthand at age 51 just how hard it is to do anything that works for being overweight. I worked fulltime through my treatments and as someone who is self-employed and has no replacement to "step in", that pretty much meant I was either working, keeping up with housework, or having treatment (with no free time for ANYthing else). I mention that in particular for the benefit of those who had the free time for disciplined exercise during treatment.

After completing treatment I began exercising. It was over 2 years before I was able to jump rope without constantly stumbling from the extra weight. I have always been a skater, but during that time I fell.... fell... and fell. I did not stop trying. I added use of a trampoline plus calesthenics and dancing (in the privacy of my home). Result? My knees swelled up like balloons and I had to ease off for a full 2 months, and then gradually build up again for the ground I had lost. I did not give up.

The weight did not budge and in fact I was slowly continuing to gain. My diet? I was eating the same size portions I ate prior to chemopause, and the same foods. I then tried Atkin's and lost 5 pounds initially and then stayed stuck for over 2 months.

The scale told me I was overweight, but I truly did not realize how fat I actually was until I saw myself in photographs.

I came to understand that if I do not want to GAIN weight, I have to go hungry every single day for at least some part of the day. I decided that if I am going to have to suffer hunger every single day so as not to gain weight, the length of suffering will feel the same whether I add more exercise or not. I chose to add more exercise. Over the next 3 years I worked 20 pounds off. The only exceptions I made in my diet were Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and my birthday. That meant never having pizza, never having a beer, never having ice cream or cake or pie or anything even remotely frivolous except for those days.

I continue to resent having to be so disciplined due to chemopause. One slip of having a piece of pie ends up with me looking at 2 pounds of weight gain by the scale that take weeks to work off again.

It is all too obvious from research studies that those who manage to stay within their normal BMI and who exercise have fewer recurrences and live longer. So I will use those two methods to my advantage to continue my "fight".

My impression is that chemopause causes damage that results in severe changes in hormonal balances and in metabolism.  I am trying to figure out what I might be able to change to achieve better hormonal balance and yet not cause recurrence of the cancer.

I think as breast cancer patients we have spent too much time and money on better answers through oncology, and not enough on answers through endocrinology. I think we desperately need to change our focus toward the education of a professional that I call (for want of a better title) a endocrinologist trained in genetics.

Six years out and still too fat and STILL WORKING ON IT,

AlaskaAngel

Dx 12/3/2001, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC) Surgery 1/3/2002 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Chemotherapy 3/12/2002 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil) Radiation Therapy 9/10/2002 Breast Hormonal Therapy 11/15/2002 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Mar 30, 2008 04:23PM michmom wrote:

Hi Ladies  So glad I found this thread.  I too have gained weight with belly fat since taking tamox.  It didn't happen until about 6 mos. on it.  I was menopausal before my dx and had lost 25 lbs. on weight watchers.  I was finally adjusting to my new boobs and actually enjoying my new body when this weight started appearing. I know I watched my diet so  I'm pretty sure it's from the medicine because when I would gain weight it wasn't belly fat.  I find it very depressing and definitely don't look forward to summer.  I'm scared to stop taking it but I'm hoping my doctor suggests a break from it becuase my liver enzymes have also become elevated (though we're not sure that's from the tamox)  Until other possible causes are ruled out I'm still on it and hating the way I look and feel.

P.S.  I'm also finding that sometimes my legs feel achy and heavy.  Anybody else have leg pains?

Michele

Mar 30, 2008 04:32PM choco wrote:

I have two maternal aunts that had the chemo/radiation treatments.  Both are over 50 and are having a very hard time with their weight too. (one is not taking tamoxifen but is taking the other medicine, the other aunt is taking nothing at all) I just thought it was because of their age and the forced menopause fro chemo.   I am going to turn 40 this year and I did not have chemo or radiation.  Just the mastectomy and reconstruction.  When I was first diagnosed I was a stay-at-home mom.  I actually waited a year to start taking the tamoxifen because of the women I knew that had taken it and the battle with weight they were having.  (I know I sound vain)  My dr. made me start when he told me the cancer was hormone receptive positive.  That was 3 years ago.  I went back to work full-time last year and walk constantly because of my job, and am on my feet constantly, therefore am even more active now than I've ever been.  It just gets very frustrating when I add diet and exercise too and lose only 2 pounds in three months.  I've gone up 3 dress sizes since I've been on tamoxifen.  I'm only 5'3.  I can't gain much weight and it not be obvious.  My worry now is that I'm also going to be adding high blood pressure and the chance of diabetes and heart disease with the weight gain.  NOTHING is helping.

Mar 30, 2008 04:33PM bluesky wrote:

hi michele,

thanks for the post, i know how you feel, i was dx at 41 am now 43 and cannot accept this body, i used to be very slim. i too am too scared to go off the tamoxifen, i'm convinced it's the tamoxifen and the fact that i was put into menopause by the chemo, i keep trying to lose, just added cardio to my yoga, pilates regiment so we'll see if this makes a difference.

and yes i have constant leg pains, especillay in the thighs, sometimes i wake up with very sore thighs, inner and outer, i keep thinking it's the yoga and pilates, but the oncologist did say that the tamoxifen does cause stiffness in joints, it's such a hateful drug and i 'll can say it better being doing it's job and not interfere with my weight.

all the best to you, come back again soon.

franca

Mar 30, 2008 04:41PM bluesky wrote:

hi choco,

thanks for posting, i completely understand, i feel the same way, i am 5"4 and cannot be at this weight, especially because it is not healthy, i feel like i have too many fat cells, which cancer feeds off of.

i wanted to suggest you try cla, you can get more info on wellnesspartners.com, i just started it last week and i feel lighter, i am also eating a very strict diet, 1200cal, veggies, fruits, protein, very very very little fat, sugar or diary, i eat all organic and homemade whole foods, nothing processed. i also do yoga three times a week, pilates everyday and cardio five times a week, i'm convinced this is going to do the trick.

also my new mantra is "even though i feel grossly overweight, i completely love and accept myself" this too is helping.

all the best to you and cheers to a hopeful 10 pound weight loss by june.

franca

Mar 30, 2008 04:48PM bluesky wrote:

hi alaskaangel,

wow i love alaska and would like to visit sometime....thanks for your post, i agree endroconolgist is a must see, they found that my thyroid was damaged from the radiation, so now i take sythroid and most likely for the rest of my life. it is the chemo and the tamoxifen that causes this weight gain, i was put into menopause overnight, so the weight that most women put on over the course of menopause setting in, i gained within 6 months. i hate cancer, bc has roped me of so much and i despise it and wish it would disappear. take care.

franca

Mar 31, 2008 05:31PM - edited Mar 31, 2008 05:31PM by AlaskaAngel

Hi franca,

I'm more of a fall/winter fan than spring so I like Alaska. During my worst hot flashes I was able to step out on the porch and get rid of them pretty quick.

I had an appointment with a highly recommended endocrinologist at the major cancer center in Seattle where I was treated with toxic therapy specifically targeting the endocrine system hormone estrogen and the ovaries. I'm considered "normal" in regard to the common endocrine diseases of diabetes, thyroid, etc. When I asked why there is no one evaluating our endocrine system around the time when treatment recommendations are made, considering that ALL of the treatments are targeting the endocrine hormone estrogen, the only answer I was given is that endocrinologists get no training in that area and would have to go back to school to get it (!)

No wonder there is no cure yet for the endocrine disease of breast cancer. The medical profession has not yet figured out that it is an ENDOCRINE DISEASE.

Disgusted by blind, stubborn ignorance,

A.A.

Dx 12/3/2001, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC) Surgery 1/3/2002 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Chemotherapy 3/12/2002 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil) Radiation Therapy 9/10/2002 Breast Hormonal Therapy 11/15/2002 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Mar 31, 2008 06:20PM andrea123 wrote:

hi is there any one that could give me some advice about tamoxifen ive been told today that i need to take it after my surgery 2 weeks ago

Mar 31, 2008 07:36PM pamfenton wrote:

When you guys are talking berlely fat, do mean below your navel or above?  My stomach is still okay but the spare tire above is awful.  It came with the chemo and has stayed.  I recently switched to aromistin (sp?) and vowed...just don't gain any weight.  Really stepped up the uphill walking and joined wt watchers online.I am not slim, a size 18 (but now a size 18 regular as in I can buy Gap pants, instead of "womens").  Getting to that point has been a feat.  It is tough.  Remember that regular women in menopause still have estrogen from their adrenal glands and fat. Any estrogen we make that might help with the hourglass figures we used to have, is snapped up by our hormonal therapy.

I explain it to my husband as, "Imagine that, to save your life, your testicles were going to be removed.  Then you would not be allowed to take testosterone, in fact, you would be taking a pill that would eat up any remnants of testosterone in your body."  Not a perfect analogy since I don't think testicles are attractive and I think breasts are very pretty, but still....gets the point across.

Dx 5/17/2005, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 31, 2008 07:37PM pamfenton wrote:

I meant "belly" fat in above post, not "berlely" fat.

Dx 5/17/2005, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 31, 2008 07:43PM bluesky wrote:

hi pamfenton,

my entire stomach is fatter from right below the breasts to the pubic bone, i used to be a size 4 and am now a 10 as the size 8's i bought after chemo are super snug now. i'm 43 and and have always been slim and eat very healthy and control my portions. i was put into menopause with the chemo, it's so depressing, and what really drives me crazy is that the oncologist and endroconolgist insist that it is not the tamoxifen. i think it's the whole mess of it all; chemo, tamoxifen, menopause.

i like your analogy, lol, i'm single so now it's even harder to meet me, there are so few who have substance, here in nyc most are into exterior looks.........anyway here's to some much needed weight loss!!!

take care 

Mar 31, 2008 07:45PM bluesky wrote:

andrea-

i just sent you a private message regarding your question.

Mar 31, 2008 07:50PM bluesky wrote:

alaskaangel,

i agree, i'm furious at these stupid doctors, i'm seeing an endroconolgist because my thyroid is underactive due to damage from radiation, he started me on one dose, no change with function

now i'm on another dose and am going to have that checked, when i told him about the weight and i explained that i am very active and control my food intake, he said "i have a brother who says he eats very little and doe'snt know why he gains weight, meanwhile he's eating tubs of cracerjack" i nearly told him where to go!

this will most likely be the last time i see him, he has no clue.

and what makes me madder is that the oncologist should be combining alternative therapies with traditional ones to help balance, i see a holistic breast cancer specialist and if it was'nt for her, the tamo hot flashes would have driven me off the wall.

Apr 3, 2008 02:18PM bluesky wrote:

has anyone had their estradoil measured and it be post menopause and then go back to perimenopausal?

Apr 14, 2008 06:00PM bluesky wrote:

i am feeling so depressed, i have been on a strict diet and excersise program for the last 2 months and have not lost any weight, i can't help but think it's the tamoxifen and chemopause. i feel so discouraged, nothing i do seems to make a change in weight. i've had the thyroid checked and it's fine.

has anyone had the same experience? and if so what are you doing to help with the lose?? i need to loose 20 pounds.

Apr 14, 2008 07:27PM - edited Apr 14, 2008 07:30PM by Curlylocks

Bluesky,

I am also 43, will be 44 next month...

I have been on Armidex and chemically menopausal through Zoladex injections.  Loosing the weight is tough but within reach....

I started working out again 6 weeks ago, 3 x a week, 38 minutes on eclipital machine and then some weight training.  I have cut out the junk food and sweets and also cut down on my portion sizes.  I drink lots of water and eat small snacks in between meals, apple, yogurt mixed with blue berries.

I was walking my dogs but it was not enough exercise and no weight loss.  I have gained about 30 pounds since being diagnosed with bc 2 1/2 years ago.

I have started to see results and have lost 5 pounds.  If I can do it you can too!

All the best, this is tough but worth the effort...

Your bc sister

Michele 

Dx 10/23/2005, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 3/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/9/2005 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary Chemotherapy 12/5/2005 AC + T (Taxol) Hormonal Therapy 5/1/2006 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 6/1/2006 Breast Surgery 5/3/2008 Prophylactic ovary removal Surgery 12/16/2013 Prophylactic mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Dx 1/9/2014, IDC, <1cm, Grade 1, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 2/11/2014 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Apr 14, 2008 08:12PM bluesky wrote:

hi michele,

thanks for the posting, that's great! 5 lb loss is excellent, keep it up!

i'll keep trying, it's just so discourging when nothing comes off after 8 weeks, i walk very briskly 30 minutes a day and i do yoga 3 times a week and pilates 4 times a week, that's the most i can do, i eat well balanced small meals, 1200 cals a day, i should be seeing some results..........will keep trying. franca

Page 1 of 2 (47 results)