Topic: FEMARA

Forum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During, and After — This is a safe place to share your experiences of others considering or on hormonal treatment.

Posted on: Dec 31, 2008 01:22PM - edited Nov 15, 2017 02:04PM by moderators

Posted on: Dec 31, 2008 01:22PM - edited Nov 15, 2017 02:04PM by moderators

nanna wrote:

I STARTED TAKING FEMARA ABOUT 2 WKS AGO. WHEN DOES THE SIDE EFFECTS START TO KICK IN

Edited by Mods to add content from the main Breastcancer.org site on Femara: Benefits, Side Effects and More

Dx 6/27/2008, ILC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, HER2+

Page 1050 of 1,051 (10,508 results)

Apr 10, 2022 05:08PM kidi919 wrote:

wondering44, I have had less joint pain on anastrozole. My vision has cleared up since d/c the Prozac. I haven't had the right upper abd pain since getting off the letrozole. Your suggestion of talking to a pharmacist is a good one. I don't think a 2 week break from an AI is a big deal. I wonder if the dr's think that if you take a break, you won't go back on something. Best of luck.

Dx 9/17/2019, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy 1/15/2020 Whole breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/9/2020 Femara (letrozole)

Apr 10, 2022 07:44PM racheldog wrote:

I feel like Nanna asking the same question of when the SE effects kick in. I have fought going on these but agreed to give them a try. I just started Letrozole today and will see how this goes. I am a pessamist about being on these toxic drugs with so , so many SE and if I cannot tolerate them I will stop. I already have some major arthritis issues in knees and shoulders and cannot imagine more pain. I am older and early stage breast cancer but HER2+. Did chemo, radiation and herceptin. Now these drugs.

Living alone with dogs and a house and property to maintain is paramount to me. Plus I need a second knee replacement and have to be feeling in shape to head into that. Has anyone had a joint replacement while on these AI drugs? If so, did you stop for the surgery?

Dx 9/2020, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Radiation Therapy 6/1/2021 Whole breast Chemotherapy Other Surgery Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left) Chemotherapy Chemotherapy Other

Apr 10, 2022 08:35PM jrnj wrote:

Racheldog, I have had several surgeries since starting on AIs. They did tell me to stop. And I didn’t start again Til Ifelt ready. I have too many side effects and DIEP was major surgery.

Pleomorphic Multifocal, Extra nodal Extension, Lymphovascular Invasion. TEs removed due to infection Dx 8/15/2019, LCIS, Right, 6cm+, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 8/15/2019, ILC, Right, 2cm, Grade 3, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/24/2019 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Right); Prophylactic mastectomy; Prophylactic mastectomy (Left); Reconstruction (Left): Tissue Expander; Reconstruction (Right): Tissue Expander Chemotherapy 12/2/2019 CMF Radiation Therapy 3/30/2020 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 6/4/2020 Aromasin (exemestane) Hormonal Therapy 8/6/2020 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 8/25/2020 Surgery 1/29/2021 Reconstruction (Left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (Right): DIEP flap Hormonal Therapy 3/10/2021 Femara (letrozole)

Apr 11, 2022 11:44PM racheldog wrote:

jrnj: Thanks for answering. I plan on stopping prior to knee TKR. That is a major surgery with rehab and if I am not feeling well from AI's there is no way I want to head into PT, etc. I would do the same and not go back on again until I feel ready either.

Dx 9/2020, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Radiation Therapy 6/1/2021 Whole breast Chemotherapy Other Surgery Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left) Chemotherapy Chemotherapy Other

Apr 24, 2022 12:22AM llthomp2 wrote:

Was your knee replacement successful? Do you still have knee pain when taking Femara afterward?

Apr 24, 2022 12:32AM llthomp2 wrote:

yes after taking Letrozole for 4 years , I am in pain every day, burning pain in my legs from the knee to the foot. On Mobic and Tylenol and it doesn't help. I have read a couple of posts that said they had knee replacements and still have pain due to Letrozole. I am feeling so hopeless. Would like to hear from those that have had knee replacements during treatment with AI's about your outcome.

Apr 24, 2022 02:45PM lillyishere wrote:

llthomp2 when I stopped letrozole for 6 weeks, my knee pain was gone. Can you ask your MO if you can take a break and see if knee pain improves? What stage are you and what type of BC did you have?

“Within five years, cancer will have been removed from the list of fatal maladies.” That was the optimistic promise to U.S. President William Howard Taft in 1910 when he visited Buffalo’s Gratwick Laboratory, “What’s taking so long?” Dx 7/31/2019, ILC, Left, <1, Stage IIA, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 7/31/2019 Aromasin (exemestane), Femara (letrozole) Surgery 9/1/2019 Lymph node removal (Left); Mastectomy (Left): Nipple Sparing; Mastectomy (Right): Nipple Sparing; Reconstruction (Left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (Right): Silicone implant Surgery 9/1/2019 Mastectomy (Left): Nipple Sparing; Mastectomy (Right): Nipple Sparing; Prophylactic mastectomy (Right) Surgery 9/19/2019 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (Right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 11/30/2019 Femara (letrozole) Dx LCIS/ILC, Both breasts, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Apr 28, 2022 11:02PM racheldog wrote:

I have not had the knee replacement yet. I had a right knee replacement before being diagnosed with breast cancer. It was a breeze, great surgeon and rehab. I only wish I had done the other one a year later. Because I waited the breast cancer diagnosis came next. I worry about these aromatase inhibitors causing bone loss and causing any implant to loosen or not be as successful. I do plan on stopping the AI about 3 weeks before surgery this summer.

May 13, 2022 03:31PM llthomp2 wrote:

stage 1 and Estrogen receptor positive.. I had a lumpectomy and 19 high dose radiation treatments. I had no idea that would be the easy part and the real hell would be the Letrozole for 5-10 years.

May 13, 2022 06:36PM racheldog wrote:

Yes, lumpectomy, stage 1, chemo, herceptin and radiation and Letrozole is the worst so far. I stopped this week for a couple doses while I got my booster and to see if my head fog clears up. There are articles about this and "need more studies" so I assume others are having issues with this. I would like to see real studies on those who elected never to take AI drug and the stats on recurrences in those women by grade, path, etc. But then, that might keep women from taking them and big Pharma would not fund research on this.

Page 1050 of 1,051 (10,508 results)

Scroll to top button