Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Arimidex

Options
roxy42
roxy42 Member Posts: 5

Hi ladys i dont see many women on arimidex,I have a question for anyone out there on arimidex.I have been on arimidex for almost a year.19 months out from treatment still NED.I have joint pains and cant sleep tried every sleep aid nothing works.I switched my arimidex from taking it at night to taking it in the morning,now I'm sleeping good at night.Is it ok to take during the day......godbless roxy

Comments

• otter
    otter Member Posts: 757
    edited March 2009
    Options

Sure it is, roxy.  The half-life of Arimidex is around 2 days, so once you've been on it for awhile, the blood levels are really stable.  From what I've read, it doesn't make any difference (pharmacologically) what time of day you take it.

Maybe I should try mornings, too.  I'm taking mine at bedtime, and I have noticed that I'm not sleeping as soundly as before.

otter 

• encoremom
    encoremom Member Posts: 37
    edited March 2009
    Options

Per the Arimidex site, it doesn't matter what time of day you take it as long as it is the same time every day.

• MinAZ
    MinAZ Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2009
    Options

I've been on Arimidex for two years. I have always taken it in the morning, right after breakfast. But I've had sleep problems off and on the whole time. Occasionally I would take a small dose of children's liquid Benadryl, and that usually helped. Regular Benadryl was way too much. I didn't have much joint pain until about 6 months ago, and it's not constant, not horrible. But it was starting to bother me at night sometimes also. So now I'm taking a Tylenol PM (which has a small amount of Benadryl) when I go to bed and it really works for me - both the aches and the sleep problems.

• BonnieK
    BonnieK Member Posts: 271
    edited March 2009
    Options

I was just started on Arimidex last week and would like to join this thread to compare side effects, etc. with others.  ~Bonnie

• deborye
    deborye Member Posts: 2,441
    edited March 2009
    Options

Twenty months here on Arimidex.  I take mine in the morning and don't have problems with sleep, Advil PM is my buddy.  Muscle and joint aches are doable, heck I'm 57 so I am used to aches and pains. LOL

Jump For Joy 

• mawhinney
    mawhinney Member Posts: 14
    edited March 2009
    Options

I've been taking Arimidex since July '08 - about 8 months.  At first I had  lots of hot flashes and occassional cramping of my hand and foot.  Both would cramp and turn inward.  It hasn't happened in the last 2 months.  I had some minor aches and pains but that could just be the aging process. The hot flashes are not as bad as they were in the beginning. I still have then but they are milder.  A good nights sleep was a problem before breast cancer and Arimidex and it is still a problem.  I take Arimidex in the morning. 

• cp418
    cp418 Member Posts: 359
    edited March 2009
    Options

ARIMIDEX Offers Women Greater Protection Against HR+ Early Breast Cancer Returning In The 1st 2 Yrs

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/142178.php

• cw89134
    cw89134 Member Posts: 62
    edited March 2009
    Options

I've been on Arimidex (pre-surgery -- I'm having a lumpectomy on 3/26) for 24 days. Originally, my surgeon told me to take it at night. His reasoning was that if I had hot flashes, I'd be asleep. Not bad thinking but I decided to take it in the morning, with breakfast (although it doesn't have to be taken with food).

So far, my sleep has not been any worse than it normally is. I'm really not having major side effects from Arimidex but I'm still early in the game.

Carol

• danasue
    danasue Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2009
    Options

Hey, I was on tamoxifen for 3 1/2 yrs.  I started having uterine problems with a lot of bleeding and a polyp.  I had severe hot flashes and mood swings for the first yr. and after that everything went really well, until the uterine problems.  My oncologist switched me to Arimidex this past Nov. and I finally had to quit taking it a couple of weeks ago.  My joints ached horribly.  I had to sit with a heating pad almost all the time.  I stayed so tired that I could hardly function.  In fact, I would wake up as tired as I was when I went to bed.  I had been used to going to the gym 4 to 5 times a week, and I was doing great to get there twice a week.  I'm 54 and felt like I was 70. My mother is 77 and has a lot of health issues and she felt better than I did.  My whole family noticed that I just wasn't myself and became worried about me.  So, I've been off the Arimidex a couple of weeks and already feel better.  I go back to my oncologist April 22 to be re-evaluated.  Hopefully, I can go back on the tamoxifen to finish my 5 yr. treatment program.  This was just my experience,  I know that it won't affect everyone like it did me.  Best wishes..I hope you do great on it.

• TenderIsOurMight
    TenderIsOurMight Member Posts: 55
    edited March 2009
    Options

At first I had ....and occasional cramping of my hand and foot.  Both would cramp and turn inward.

I've had this on both Arimidex and Femara. I've been sure to take my Calcium and vit D, but it still occurs. Told my oncologist about the actual turning in of the foot (?pedal-spasm) and he just stared at me. It seems there's a lot we don't know about these AI's, yet the more we all report these events the better. Fatigue has been a real problem for me too: feels like I'm dragging a Mack truck around behind me.

roxy, I don't think it matters what time of day you take your Arimidex.I think it's helpful to try to take it about the same time of day, each day, just to help those blood levels stay even. On the other hand, if you miss a pill, the drug does stay around quite a while so it covers us even during a short absence. Great to hear you are doing well. 

Still trucking,

Tender 

• plakatakr
    plakatakr Member Posts: 45
    edited March 2009
    Options

I take mine at night and usually sleep OK. I was told that some women get nausea when they take it so at night I would sleep through it. I have some hot flashes (darn, I was already finished with that) and some joint pain. It is doable so far. I started on Jan 1/09

• nancyd
    nancyd Member Posts: 556
    edited March 2009
    Options

Hi roxy. I've been on Arimidex since September 2008. I definitely have greater joint pain than before, but since I had some before, I have my way of dealing with it...Aleve or warm baths/showers. Hot flashes...yep, thought I was pretty much through with them but they came back. However, they've started to taper off already.

The one s/e I've heard about that I might have is shortness of breath. I mean, I defnitely have some shortness of breath, I just need to have the cause checked out. It could be from so many other things connected with my bc treatment—more serious things like heart damage from Adriamycin or radiation.

I also developed allergy-like s/es...drippy nose and sneezing. So, I take a Zyrtec along with the daily Arimidex.

BTW, I take mine in the morning. I set the pills up at night and find it's easier for me to remember to take them if they're starring at me when I wake up.

• mmm5
    mmm5 Member Posts: 797
    edited March 2009
    Options

I just wanted to post my experience this last week with 2nd and 3rd opinions

I was always under the impression that the AI's and Tamox. gave us a huge benefit from possible reocurrance. I had been on Arimidex for 4 1/2 months and I started to have much hip pain, finally figured out it originates in low back lumbar. The Onc's I see 2 of the best in the SW one for TX, and one for the bisphos trial. Both stated they were not worried about bone mets as I was still on Herceptin stage 1, no nodes, blah blah blah. So they said stop the Arimidex and lets see how you do. After a week still no relief, one ONC states it takes 3 - 4 weeks for SE's to subside once stopping the other said I should have had relief. They finally did an xray and shows degeneration of Lumbar sacral joints. ( did not have this on original ct) this could be from many things. I had an MRI on Friday still waiting for results.

To make long story short I sought a third opinion about AI's and they all agreed that they don't know how they affect the body long term, and that in reality they only give a 2-5% benefit against reocurrance. I asked again if that meant BC's with low estrogen receptors and he stated no all estrogen positive BC.

2 out of 3 agreed that I should not try Tamoxifen as I am Her2 positive and it is not as effective for Her 2 gals. I am still pursuing all of this info as my Stepmom had stage 3 cancer 14 years ago and was on tamox for 7 years then AI's just quit this year and has been cancer free. My Aunt was on Tamox. for 5 years, she ended it after 5 year stint and had reocurranc within year of stopping.

Just no easy answers!!

• cp418
    cp418 Member Posts: 359
    edited March 2009
    Options

Tender - I have the same cramping - spasm in my feet that you describe.  Sometimes very painful where I have to massage the foot to resolve the cramp.  Got a blank look when I described it to my onc.

• SaraB
    SaraB Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2009
    Options

Hi everyone,  I'm new here, but seem to be an "old" Arimidex user compared to many of you.  I started it 3 years and 7 months ago!  I've always taken it in the morning and don't have much sleep disruption.  The good news is that over time the joint pain has pretty much gone away.  What really helped was to start walking more.  At first it seemed impossible b/c it hurt to even walk out of bed in the morning, but it really did get better.  I've had a little bit of an issue with edema - not much but more than before the med.  Heart checked out OK, so who knows....

I'm glad I found you all -

• Triciaski
    Triciaski Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2009
    Options

CW -- That's pathetic that your male surgeon thinks you won't notice your hot flashes if you have them when you're asleep. What an idiotic thing to say! People who have never had hot flashes really have no understanding of how horrible they are and with comments like that from health care professionals, it's no wonder there is no safe, reliable remedy for alleviating hot flashes. I guess they really don't take us seriously. Sheeesh!!

I take Arimidex in the morning and haven't noticed it interferng with my sleep except for the occasional hot flash. My hot flashes are more frequent and severe during the day than at night (thank heavens for small favors).

Tricia

• Blundin2005
    Blundin2005 Member Posts: 27
    edited March 2009
    Options

Hi Roxy,

I'm taking Arimidex for 3 years 4 months....always in the morning.  I find that magnesium (pidolate) just before bedtime helps me to sleep relatively well until morning.  I don't take it every night.  It helps muscles to relax so the aches and pains don't disturb me as much.   When I was able to exercise more, I found that too helped me to sleep.

Best wishes always, 

• elisabeth
    elisabeth Member Posts: 28
    edited March 2009
    Options

Hi All.  I sure wish I had been able to continue on Arimidex, but my SEs were so severe that I had to quit.  I am no going to start Tamox next week even though I am postmenopausal.  It has been really good being off the Arimidex.  So - I hope I can cope with Tamox and still feel good.

• bluejay1
    bluejay1 Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2009
    Options

mmm,

why did the onc tell you that tamox is no good for HER2+ women? I have this and was put on Tamox. 

• cw89134
    cw89134 Member Posts: 62
    edited March 2009
    Options

Hi Tricia,

I think he was actually trying to be helpful as he also said to keep a small fan and a glass of water by the bed. I haven't had the need to do that so far.

Truthfully, I've never had what I would call a real hot flash. My friends used to complain about them a lot (back when we were all going through menopause -- I'm 62 now) but I don't think I've ever had a real one.

Even with taking Arimidex, I'm warm sometimes but not excessively so. A blowing fan usually cures the problem. This is actually quite unusual for me as I'm generally quite sensitive to medication.

Carol

• mzmiller99
    mzmiller99 Member Posts: 220
    edited March 2009
    Options

Elizabeth - I had to go off Arimidex as well - tooo much pain all over.  I've been on Armasin for two weeks...pain's not as bad...yet.  And, I think the hot flashes have calmed down, only have a couple a day.

Good to hear from you again.

Susan

• elisabeth
    edited March 2009
    Options

Hi Susan.  Good to hear from you.  I haven't been on the board a lot lately.  I am trying to not be so obsessed with cancer and the fear of it all.  I am so glad that Aromasin is treating you more kindly.  We'll see about Tamox.  Please keep me posted in regard to you progress.

• mzmiller99
    mzmiller99 Member Posts: 220
    edited March 2009
    Options

Elizabeth - I understand.  I actually spend most of my time in the old ladies forum, where we discuss such things as our belly fat and flatulence! problems!  It hardly seems like a bc forum most of the time.  Wink

I'll be interested to hear your experience with tamox, too.

Susan

• elisabeth
    edited March 2009
    Options

Hi Susan.  I love this - the old ladies forum.  Which one is that?  I need to discuss those issues.

Thanks again and many hugs.  E 

• sandi05
    sandi05 Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2009
    Options

Been on Arimidex for three years and three months the 26th of this month..but whos counting? :) I take it every morning..still have sleep problems, have since the start. bone pain comes and goes, mostly when I sit for a while..fine while moving. many other SE..but am lucky to have a pill to take!  The bone loss is the worst but am starting zometa soom..I am counting the days till I can stop. Good luck with the sleeping, if it gets to be a problem see your Dr and ask for help. I did. I think you can take almost anything except loss of sleep..it wears you down..there are a lot of choices out there so again..check with your Dr..hugsss Sandi

• Onco11
    Onco11 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2009
    Options

Triciaski my oncotype was also 17 your dx is almost the same as mine except for the tumor grade which was grade 1 for me.  Did you feel OK about being at the top of the low grade oncotype category? How did your oncologist feel about the 17 score?  I meet with my doctor this coming Thursday. Our first meeting, he suggested Armidex.  I read about the side effects-frankly scared the heck out of me.  Do you have many symtoms and how long have you been on Armidex? I am concerned about the bone loss!  I am 61, work out one hour a day, 30 minutes on my eliptical trainer and 30 minutes on weights. Does the exercise help retain bone strength. Would really like your input. Annamaria 

• Triciaski
    Triciaski Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2009
    Options

Hi, Annamaria,

I was very happy with my Oncotype of 17, and my oncologist, who had been pushing chemo (due to tumor size and grade) completely backed off of chemo after getting my Oncotype score. So, I feel very confident that I would have benefited very little, if any, from chemo.

So far, I'm doing all right on Arimidex. I have hot flashes, but no serious bone or joint pain, and I generally feel just fine. I, too, am concerned about the long-term effects of osteoporosis. That's great that you exercise so much. I'm not sure whether exercise helps maintain bone strength when taking Arimidex, but most women on Arimidex say that exercise helps with the side effects of stiffness and joint pain.

Tricia

• SoutherMother
    SoutherMother Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2009
    Options

I have been on Arimidex for about 15 mos.  Taking it in the morning produced very stiff joints by the afternoon.  Taking it at bedtime produced sleep problems, but no stiff joints.  Taking it between noon and 2:00pm keeps the joint stiffness away (unless I stay up really late) and usually limits the sleep problem.  If it hadn't been for this forum, I would have never thought to switch the pill taking time around.

• mmm5
    mmm5 Member Posts: 797
    edited March 2009
    Options

Bluejay

Both Onc's stated that Tamox may not be as effective for Her2 and One even went as far to say that Tamox had some studies that may speed up the process with the Her2 receptors, I have an appt with Head ONC in AZ at U of A he is nationally respected to dicuss in 3 weeks.

• Onco11
    Onco11 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2009
    Options

Thanks for the quick answer. I am new to this site.   I was just diagnoised in February, surgery on the 23 and now about to start Arimidex.  The hot flahes I experienced during menopause, for me , were very light and not to bothersome except at night.  The hotflashes you experience, are they similar in intensity than the ones you experience in menopause?  Did your doctor recommend anything to help with the bone loss?  My doctor recommended 1500 mg of calcium daily, 800 units of Vitamin D along with my work out schedule.  I have read the some ladies on Arimidex are so tired they can not workout as they use to.  Although, I realize, everyone is different in their reaction to this drug, have you experienced any lethargic feeling, hair loss or nausea?  Annamaria