Topic: How many of us took Birth Control Pills?

Forum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During, and After — This is a safe place to share your experiences of others considering or on hormonal treatment.

Posted on: Sep 16, 2009 03:29PM

Posted on: Sep 16, 2009 03:29PM

korynh wrote:

This same question may be burried in the 2 thousand other posts but I haven't found it. I was diagnosed at age 44 and had been taking birth control pills for the previous 13 years. Once I was diagnosed my doctor said to stop the pill immediately....even mid cycle! I at that time had not had a period in  a year but was not testing post-menopausal according to bloodwork. Then when I decided for the first time to read the pamphlet that came in the pill pack it stated right there in black and white MAY CAUSE BREAST CANCER IN YOUNG WOMEN (pre -meno) WITH LONG TERM USE yet no doctor in 13 years ever warned me to stop it and I was there faithfully every year for my paps! I took Lo-Ovral.

I was furious! When I questioned my ob.gyn she said the pill doesn't cause breast cancer.  However, now that chemo has put me into early menopause and I seek help for the hot flashes she says, oh you can't take hormones they might cause breast cancer! I find that just crazy. So I am finding many other survivors who also took oral contraceptives for many years and later developed breast cancer. I would just be curious to see just how many on these forums were too and for how long you were on it.

The pill may not CAUSE breast cancer but what it does to our cycles, creating an estrogen dominance can cause breast cancer, so says the book What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Breast Cancer.

Tell your story!

KorynH -age 44 at diagnosis (2008) , IDC 1.6cm , ILC 1.6cm ,Rt. mast. 10/08, 0/6 nodes,stage 2a, gr. 3, ER+/PR+, Her2NU+++, BRCA Neg.,TCH chemo 12/08 - Herceptin completed 12/09, T.E., silicone implant exchange July 2009

Page 4 of 12 (120 results)

Sep 17, 2009 03:56PM cp418 wrote:

I took the pill on/off for about 10 years and was told very minimal risk of BC.  Actually encouraged to use to protect against ovarian cancer - - now it feels like that conversation was a sales pitch.  Other methods were never discussed or offered to me.  I was dx at age 49 pre-menopause strongly hormone receptor positive.

Sep 17, 2009 04:18PM fairy49 wrote:

I took the pill, starting at 18, stopped at 25, started again at 30, stopped at 34.  I am a firm believer that messing with the hormones is a huge factor in BC, just my humble opinion......

DX 9-22-08 IDC 1.1cm Stage 1 Grade 2 SNB 0/5 ER+ PR+ HER- Bi-Lat Mas re-con,tissue expanders on 10/29 - Exchange to silicone implants on 3/6/09 Oncotype DX Score 9 - BRCA 1 & 2 Negative.....If God brings you to it, he WILL get you through it

Sep 17, 2009 09:16PM Meece wrote:

I took Ortho Novum for a year and a half then off for pregnancies Pregnant or nursing for 40 months, using other methods of conraception during that time, then back on the pill for 6 months, pregnant again.  Had last baby and had a tubal occlusion.  So I probably was on the pill two years total, and no hormones since I was 25 1/2.  That was 21 years ago.  I doubt that it had much to do with my bc.

Sure it's tough, but so are you! Dx 11/23/2003, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/16 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 2/5/2004 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 8/1/2004

Sep 17, 2009 09:41PM Makratz wrote:

I took ortho novum for 20 years with the exception of 2 pregnancies.  No family history, I have 3 sisters and 26 cousins that are female!  No breast cancer!!I Always thought that birth control pills were to blame for my bc.

Linda...♥♥♥ Never, never, never give up ~ Winston Churchill

Sep 17, 2009 09:59PM texgirl wrote:

I began on BCP's at 19 and took them for 6 yrs. That was the OrthoNovum 1/80 the powerhourse of its day. I saw a new Gyn and requested another form of birth control..and she refused saying that I needed to come back and she would "clear up all the misconceptions that I had about the pill " ! %@! I didn't care what she thought ..all I thought she needed to know was that I wanted off ! I went to see another Doc and got an IUD....never went on the pill again till perimenopause and was on one about 1 1/2 yrs....till my dx.

Dx 2/8/2005, ILC/IDC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIIC, Grade 2, 22/22 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 17, 2009 10:30PM AnneW wrote:

I took OCPs for about 14 years, up til the day I was diagnosed at age 44. I always knew they could possibly increase my risk for BC, and that I was already at a little higher risk due to other things (mother with bc, early menarche, no babies.) BUT--I weighed the risks versus benefits, and decided to have a day-to-day quality of life that the Pill afforded me. It controlled my mirgaines, reduced my disabling menstrual cramps, stabilized my moods, cleared my skin, and kept my bresats from being horribly painful two weeks out of the month.

I wouldn't change a thing. Those were 14 great years. What if I hadn't taken the Pill and never got cancer? I'd be bitching and whining about a lifetime of misery...

My bc was well-differentiated and ER/PR +. The cells were about as normal as you get and still be cancer. I figured my cancer to be a dumb and happy one--getting little bits of hormone to keep it fed, without making it grow wildly in search of more. No scientific theory to that, mind you. It just makes me feel better to think it!!!

So, yeah, OCPs upped my risk. And I always knew it would. And I teach my patients that it can. People tend to take care of business today, and worry about tomorrow when it comes. As for the Pill "causing" my cancer? I doubt it.

Anne

2002 IDC stage 1, grade 1, rads & AI Dx 9/18/2007, ILC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 17, 2009 11:06PM fairy49 wrote:

I don't think the pill "causes" cancer, I think hormone imbalance has something to do with it, messing with the hormones for years, has got to have an impact.

DX 9-22-08 IDC 1.1cm Stage 1 Grade 2 SNB 0/5 ER+ PR+ HER- Bi-Lat Mas re-con,tissue expanders on 10/29 - Exchange to silicone implants on 3/6/09 Oncotype DX Score 9 - BRCA 1 & 2 Negative.....If God brings you to it, he WILL get you through it

Sep 18, 2009 04:34PM - edited Sep 18, 2009 04:37PM by cp418

fairy49 - I think you made an excellent point.  I have no family hx of female cancers - but - I always had horrible heavy periods and terrible PMS.  IMO, I had some extreme hormone levels in my body already and the OCP pulled the trigger.  The problem is gyns commonly wrote prescriptions for OC and HRT with NO monitoring of the patient's hormone levels.  I don't recall ever even discussing my periods with my gyn.  When I described my terrible PMS, she gave me a prescription for a mild sedative!!!  (note - This was a female gyn too!!)

I always had the feeling she was too busy wtih the OB side of her practise - - so when some one like myself came in for a yearly check-up -- - I was flipped out the door ASAP.

Sep 18, 2009 04:42PM IllinoisNancy wrote:

I took birth control pills for 19 years...right up to the day I was dx with breast cancer.  I think it is one of the main reasons I got cancer. 

Pleomorphic Invasive Breast cancer three times 2006, 2010 and 2016, IBrance and Femara, NET Cancer in stomach and liver 2015, Sandostatin

Sep 18, 2009 05:09PM makingway wrote:

I took the pill back in the 80's for a couple years, then stopped. But, what I did do that could have possibly been 'the trigger' was take that morning after pill to prevent pregnancy. This was in 2005. It changed my period. For a few months I didn't have a normal period. A friend had warned me, after the fact, not to ever take them. She said they cause problems. Someone told me it's a high dose of hormones.

Visit my website for helpful tips when using cold caps:penguincoldcap.wix.com/help Dx 3/2/2009, ILC, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/19 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 4 of 12 (120 results)

Scroll to top button