Topic: How many of us took Birth Control Pills?

Forum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During, and After — This is a safe place to share your experiences of others considering or on hormonal treatment.

Posted on: Sep 16, 2009 12:29PM

Posted on: Sep 16, 2009 12:29PM

KorynH wrote:

This same question may be burried in the 2 thousand other posts but I haven't found it. I was diagnosed at age 44 and had been taking birth control pills for the previous 13 years. Once I was diagnosed my doctor said to stop the pill immediately....even mid cycle! I at that time had not had a period in  a year but was not testing post-menopausal according to bloodwork. Then when I decided for the first time to read the pamphlet that came in the pill pack it stated right there in black and white MAY CAUSE BREAST CANCER IN YOUNG WOMEN (pre -meno) WITH LONG TERM USE yet no doctor in 13 years ever warned me to stop it and I was there faithfully every year for my paps! I took Lo-Ovral.

I was furious! When I questioned my ob.gyn she said the pill doesn't cause breast cancer.  However, now that chemo has put me into early menopause and I seek help for the hot flashes she says, oh you can't take hormones they might cause breast cancer! I find that just crazy. So I am finding many other survivors who also took oral contraceptives for many years and later developed breast cancer. I would just be curious to see just how many on these forums were too and for how long you were on it.

The pill may not CAUSE breast cancer but what it does to our cycles, creating an estrogen dominance can cause breast cancer, so says the book What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Breast Cancer.

Tell your story!

KorynH -age 44 at diagnosis (2008) , IDC 1.6cm , ILC 1.6cm ,Rt. mast. 10/08, 0/6 nodes,stage 2a, gr. 3, ER+/PR+, Her2NU+++, BRCA Neg.,TCH chemo 12/08 - Herceptin completed 12/09, T.E., silicone implant exchange July 2009

Page 6 of 12 (120 results)

Sep 22, 2009 08:22AM karen_3 wrote:

I took birth control for 15 years, basically when not trying to get pregnant, I was on the pill.  The internet is full of data about how there IS a relation - I've read studies that state BOLDLY that there is a 200% increase in chance of pre-menopausal breast cancer.  Hello - if hrt has been proven to cause BC, why not the synthetic hormones that are found in oral contraceptives...what's the difference.  I was diagnosed this year at 40 years of age.   What has made me even more angry is that just prior to diagnosis - my doctor told me to stay on the pill until after menopause.  Then I would have TRICKED nature!  Yeah right, the trick is that I didn't like his attitude and went off the pill that weekend but was diagnosed with BC after detecting my own lump 3 months later.  I also am adopted, so I could have been seriously BRCA1 or BRCA2 positive (thank God I am not) which would have made BC even more likely after all those years on the pill.  All the doctors that dispensed it to me like a bag a jelly beans knew I had no family history and not one, not one SINGLE ob/gyn even mentioned a possible connection even slightly. 

I do not trust anything allopathic doctors say to me anymore, I have since taken my daughters off of vacinations and we all see a hallopathic doctor.

Karen

~ Karen ~ Dx 2/6/2009, IDC, 3cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 0/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Sep 22, 2009 08:27AM karen_3 wrote:

Many of the studies that I have read like GOSPEL state that the biggest risk is when you are on the pill for a period of 5 years before giving birth to your first child - (there is a Mayo clinic study on this one)  I was on the pill for 5 years 19-24 years of age before giving birth to my daughter Erika.  The body secretes a protective hormone during pregnancy that protects the breasts.  Exposing your breast tissue to these synthetic forms of estrogen before your body ever becomes pregnant is BAD!!!! there are many studies on this.  All the young women in college RIGHT now trying not to become pregnant while getting there degree are at risk.  Tell everyone you know.  My three daughters will NEVER EVER be on oral contraceptives!!!

~ Karen ~ Dx 2/6/2009, IDC, 3cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 0/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Sep 24, 2009 02:44AM - edited Sep 24, 2009 06:09AM by shelleyr25

Another one here on LoOvral forever...just dx 8/09. I had been on it since I was about 16 up until last month and I am now 43, stopping only to have 2 kids. My tumor is estrogen fed and waiting to find out results of genetic testing although I am anticipating that coming up neg. with no history of bc in my family. Obviously stopped taking it immediatly but the damage has been done, I am convinced of that.

~Shelley~ Currently on Arimidex and Zometa Dx 8/6/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 24, 2009 10:05AM - edited Sep 24, 2009 10:07AM by squid

Pill for 4 years, age 17 to 21, 1974-78. Childless. BC diagnosis at age 52.

Dx 5/5/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Sep 25, 2009 11:45AM sta1129 wrote:

I was on the pill - LoOvral - for nearly 13 years. I went off of it the year before my dx, but went right back to the horrible cycles and pain that had driven me to it many years before. The first thing my surgeon said was "throw that stuff away."

Dx 4/3/2008, IDC, <1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 25, 2009 09:53PM mcgaffey wrote:

Never took pill, no HRT. I had high levels of estrogen and a late menopause and breast cancer at 59. My mom had breast cancer at 58. She lived until 98. I consider mine inherited. My sis is on raloxifine and is clear so far and she is older than me but had osteopenia by her late 50s so she is being protected by her bone meds, I think. I am on AIs and hope that prevents me from having another occurrence like my Mom did at age 70 in a second breast. She ended up totally flat chested and since all her lymph nodes were removed, she had problems with arm swelling in her 90s.

Sep 26, 2009 06:00AM mom_of_2 wrote:

I took the pill and blame the pill for my ER/PR+ cancer.

* Took pill 20+ years starting at age 16 (breaks when I had babies)

* No family history of cancer of any kind

* Kids before age 30

* Breast fed 

* Do not smoke, social drinker

* Exercise daily, maintain weight

* BRAC - 

* 12 year vegetarian when diagnosed at 40.

There is no other reason than the environment. The pill was stopped the minute my path report came in showing my ER %. I look at my check list and think of all of the "How to prevent BC" articles I have read...I already do everything within my power to prevent cancer BUT here I am!

I just wish I knew the real risks of the pill 25 years ago. My 18 year old daughter will never take estrogen! 

mom_of_2 Dx 6/2/2008, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Sep 26, 2009 06:25AM liztaylor1 wrote:

This thread (and others like it) is right on....

BCP for 17 years; Prempro for 3 years.

Hot flashes are back and I am "enjoying" them this time - knowing that the HRT may have "fed" this thing.  Back in the late 60's, the BCPs were HUGE.  I had a gut feeling, even then, that they were too good to be true....

Liz

Dx 8/24/2009, DCIS, 2cm, Grade 3, 0/0 nodes, ER+

Sep 26, 2009 06:31AM drgnfly wrote:

I took Ortho Novum for about twelve years and then after my second child my husband had a vasectomy. Fifteen years later, still having regular periods, I took two months of birth control pills to regulate my period to avoid having it during a big vacation. During that two months a lump in my breast that I had previously been told was my RIB (after nothing showed on mammo or US even though I could feel something) grew at an alarming rate. When I first started the pill and my breasts were super sore I called my gyno and she told me that the pill I was on was very high in estrogen. Two months later I was dx with a 3.9 ER/PR+ tumor that had been there for at least three years. I basically threw gasoline on a fire. While I think that I will never know why I got bc, I do know that going on the pill for that short time escalated and sped up the growth of my bc. Even when I went to the gyno she said she just felt a thickening, not a lump. Amazing. After two and half years I still shake my head at these events! I also am concered that my 20 year old daughter has now been on the pill for several years....

Dx 4/28/2007, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 26, 2009 07:43AM mom_of_2 wrote:

Drgnfly...

We did lots of research for birth control options for my daughter. She uses condoms but is the uptight type and wants a back up. After talking with 3 different gynocologist...one a personal friend...we decided she would get the progesterone-only Implanon implant. It is a small matchstick that is inserted inside upper arm in docs office.

It was a very hard decision but we feel we have made the best choice since there aren't many estrogen-free options out there. 

Good luck 

mom_of_2 Dx 6/2/2008, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Page 6 of 12 (120 results)

Scroll to top button