Topic: How many of us took Birth Control Pills?

Forum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During, and After — This is a safe place to share your experiences of others considering or on hormonal treatment.

Posted on: Sep 16, 2009 03:29PM

Posted on: Sep 16, 2009 03:29PM

KorynH wrote:

This same question may be burried in the 2 thousand other posts but I haven't found it. I was diagnosed at age 44 and had been taking birth control pills for the previous 13 years. Once I was diagnosed my doctor said to stop the pill immediately....even mid cycle! I at that time had not had a period in  a year but was not testing post-menopausal according to bloodwork. Then when I decided for the first time to read the pamphlet that came in the pill pack it stated right there in black and white MAY CAUSE BREAST CANCER IN YOUNG WOMEN (pre -meno) WITH LONG TERM USE yet no doctor in 13 years ever warned me to stop it and I was there faithfully every year for my paps! I took Lo-Ovral.

I was furious! When I questioned my ob.gyn she said the pill doesn't cause breast cancer.  However, now that chemo has put me into early menopause and I seek help for the hot flashes she says, oh you can't take hormones they might cause breast cancer! I find that just crazy. So I am finding many other survivors who also took oral contraceptives for many years and later developed breast cancer. I would just be curious to see just how many on these forums were too and for how long you were on it.

The pill may not CAUSE breast cancer but what it does to our cycles, creating an estrogen dominance can cause breast cancer, so says the book What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Breast Cancer.

Tell your story!

KorynH -age 44 at diagnosis (2008) , IDC 1.6cm , ILC 1.6cm ,Rt. mast. 10/08, 0/6 nodes,stage 2a, gr. 3, ER+/PR+, Her2NU+++, BRCA Neg.,TCH chemo 12/08 - Herceptin completed 12/09, T.E., silicone implant exchange July 2009

Page 9 of 12 (120 results)

Oct 9, 2013 04:31PM mazie73 wrote:

My doctors have always recommended against birth-control bills because of my family history of breast cancer (mom, two aunts, grandfather). In March, I ended up in the hospital due to heavy menstrual bleeding (had to get a blood transfusion). I was given progesterone and a prescription for birth control pills to stop the bleeding. I continued taking the pill for a month because I was traveling in Europe and didn't want to risk another bleeding episode. My OB/Gyn had me stop taking them in late April. At the same time, I was taking Spironoactalone for oily skin. I was told there's no link between Spiro and breast cancer. In late June, I found a lump in my breast that seemed to appear out of nowhere. It's 100-percent ER+/PR+. Now I'm questioning whether those two meds had anything to do with it.

​Currently on a clinical trial at UC San Diego Moores Cancer Center: Abemaciclib + Pi3 kinase inhibitor + Faslodex Dx 8/2013, IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/23/2013 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 1/28/2014 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 5/16/2014 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Hormonal Therapy 5/22/2014 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Dx 12/2016, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/lungs, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 2/4/2017 Faslodex (fulvestrant), Zoladex (goserelin) Targeted Therapy Verzenio

Aug 2, 2014 01:07AM bert00 wrote:

Birth control pill fights cancer? Should I get on it? 

Aug 2, 2014 01:31AM clarrn wrote:

Only took them for 3 months, so highly unlikely that caused anything for me. 

30 years old at dx, Implant lost due to infection. Open wound packing for 108 days :( now onto a Free Tram Dx 12/4/2013, DCIS, 6cm+, Grade 3, ER+/PR+ Dx 1/29/2014, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 2/27/2014 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant, Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 4/8/2014 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 10/15/2014 Breast, Lymph nodes Surgery 2/27/2015 Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Surgery 3/23/2015 Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Surgery 8/24/2020 Reconstruction (left): Free TRAM flap; Reconstruction (right): Free TRAM flap

Aug 4, 2014 09:41AM april485 wrote:

Took BC pills on and off for about 5 years then doc told me no more due to being a smoker and the fact that I was overweight. That was many years ago. So, not sure if they had anything to do with my BC or not but was highly ER/PR+ so maybe...

"Fear has been a huge dictator in my life - so I am trying to stage a coup!" ~ a friend Dx 1/30/2013, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+ Surgery 2/21/2013 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 3/11/2013 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 4/22/2013 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/20/2013 Aromasin (exemestane) Hormonal Therapy 1/2/2016 Femara (letrozole)

Aug 5, 2014 11:22PM moderators wrote:

We would also suggest you look at BCO Research News page for some trechnical data on the relationships. You need to break it into the different types of Pill taken too.

Please see:

Is There a Link Between Birth Control Pills and Higher Breast Cancer Risk?

The Mods

To send a PM to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/my/...

Aug 9, 2014 07:37PM Bippy625 wrote:

yup i took BTC pills for 20 years. No idea of connection, my onc says they just do not know why some get it and others do not....i ate bad food, drank too much alcohol, lived a stressful life. Overweight, no exercise, and i wonder if that has more to do with it...i will probably never know.

www.theperjetadiaries.org Dx 7/29/2014, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 1/13 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Nov 10, 2014 05:32PM roby7 wrote:

I have family history of breast cancer ( two aunts both sides ) I refused any hormonal birth control method never took a bill even hermonal iud I refused it . I just diagnosed with 11 cm of dcis this October and I am 35

Dx 10/16/2014, DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, 2/8 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/18/2014 Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Right): Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Right): DIEP flap Chemotherapy 1/14/2015 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 4/1/2015 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Nov 10, 2014 09:18PM labelle wrote:

Not BC pills for me ever. I used depo-provera shots for about 18 months (when I was thirty or so). Diagnosed with breast cancer at 51 so I really don't think it was the depo-more likely the 50 years of eating foods filled with hormones and crap, more so in the last 30 or so years as our food supply has become more like a chemistry experiment than agriculture.

Like Wendy, I'm pretty pissed about this. Strangely enough I switched to a Paleo diet in March of this year, was diagnosed in Sept. Wish I'd known years ago what I now know about our food.

Dx 9/29/2014, IDC: Tubular, Left, <1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 1/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Surgery 11/13/2014 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Breast

Nov 10, 2014 10:14PM MusicLover wrote:

No birth control for me ever, never, never, never! I was told it would increase my chances of this awful disease, ha, what a joke.  So why the hell am I here, dealing with this crap - just need to get some frustrations out.  And why the hell did I have two lumps in the middle of my chest?  Not even in my breasts!!!  

As per PET scan, 3 or 4 nodules in the right breast, 2 of which were actually in the middle of my chest, the other 2 were side by side in the breast. Also DCIS in the left breast. Dx 9/23/2013, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, 1/0 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 10/9/2013 Femara (letrozole)

Nov 10, 2014 10:56PM WinningSoFar wrote:

There are no doubt a lot of women with BC who took birth control pills, but what do we compare that to. What is the rate of women without BC who took birth control pills. Correlation is not causation.

Dx 7/1999, ILC/IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/1/1999 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 7/30/1999 Whole breast: Breast Surgery 7/1/2000 Prophylactic ovary removal Dx 9/26/2011, IBC, Right, 4cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Targeted Therapy 10/31/2011 Avastin (bevacizumab) Chemotherapy 11/4/2011 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Surgery 5/5/2012 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 4/14/2013 External: Bone Chemotherapy 3/1/2014 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Surgery 12/11/2014 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Dx 3/2019, ILC/IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Targeted Therapy 3/15/2019 Verzenio Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole)

Page 9 of 12 (120 results)

Scroll to top button