Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Arimidex and dequervains tendonitis

Sukiann
Sukiann Member Posts: 88

I just got back from the orthopedic surgeon.  I was given a cortisone shot for something called dequervain's tendonitis.    It started out with a kind of bump on my right wrist that was painful.  Then my thumb started to hurt.  I went to the rhuematolgist because I also have the rhuematoid factor in my blood (RA is simmering in me!) and I found out that I have a bone spur on my right shoulder with osteoarthritis!  The doc said it's unusual for someone my age to have this (I'm 45).  Well, unusual things happen to me!  Then I showed her the bump.  She took an xray and said that it may be a ganglion cyst.  It turns out that it's this Dequervain's Tendonitis and I KNOW it's from the Arimidex.  It started a couple months after I began taking it.  Anyone else have this?

Comments

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,484
    edited July 2010

I developed CTS on Arimidex, and the dequervances tendonitis on Aromasin.....had it in both hands that necessitated surgery as it did not respond to cortisone....the CTS went away when I went off AI's for a couple months and tried tamox (after having surgery on one wrist before I found out it was a side effect of Arimidex)...it was after this that I went on Aromasin....the surgery made a major difference...I had the surgery for the dequervances 1 1/2 years ago and so far, my wrists are okay...still get sore occasionally from over use, but nothing worry about....

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited July 2010

I think I have it although I've been saying it's trigger thumb.  My "bump" is at the base of my left thumb and is very painful when touched and hurts like the dickent when I flex the first joint of the thumb.  I've been wearing a thumb brace 24/7 - tomorrow wil be 3 weeks - hoping that not bending the thumb would make the swelling and pain go away.  Doesn't look like that's going to happen.  Had it Xrayed on Monday and hope to hear tomorrow from my PCP about the results.   May have to try the cortisone shot if it doesn't start to go away.

Had CTS in other, right, hand but that went away after wrapping the wrist for a few weeks even though I'm on the computer all day (and most of the evenint!). 

• Sukiann
    edited July 2010

Thanks ladies.  Patoo, I hope your pain goes away.  What did the pcp say?  Karen, I hope I don't have to have surgery!!!  I'm happy to say that the cortisone shot did help.  But for how long does this last?  I have 4 more years on arimidex.  I think I can have a few more shots before it stops working.  Wow, just another great side effect from aromatase inhibitors. 

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited July 2010

Hi, some docs are simply clueless.  She 'finally' had one of her staff call me with the message that my Xray was negative.  I said "negative for what" and the lady didn't know - that's the message the doc wanted her to convey.  Now I know that she was looking for arthritis so I'm guessing she meant it was negative for that but at least say that!  Anyhow, she gave me the name of an orthopedic surgeon she sends people to.  He's not convenient for me so I'll go to one I visited years ago or another one recommended by a friend.  I will probably need the cortisone; don't want to do surgery.  We'll see.

• HopeLL
    HopeLL Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2010

Hi ladies!  I had been suffering of this pain on my left wrist and after doing all kind of tests (Xrays, wrist sonography, bone gammagraphy and NMR on my wrist, the result is De Quervain's tendinitis.  I had been taking Arimidex for over a year after two years taking Tamoxifen.  My doctor says this is not a side effect from the Arimidex but, I don't know why, I had been thinking it is.  So now that I read your letters I see I am not the only one with this sympthom.  I have had a cortisone shot but it didn't fully helped, the pain is different now but it still pains, the simplest movement of my hand can be extremely painful.  I really don't want surgery -I have had enough I think- but if someone can assure me it will ends the pain then I will go for the surgery.  I am wondering if this side effect will really get away when we stop using Arimidex or it will make permanent damage to our tendons?  Can we change Arimidex for something else if needed?  My prayers are with you!

• Sukiann
    edited September 2010

Yeah, they didn't really think too much about the Arimidex causing it but the se's of Arimidex are joint AND tendon pain.  I KNOW it's from it.  The cortisone shot worked great for me but now my thumb is swollen (joint closest to my wrist).  It has developed kind of a lump and it is very tender.  I took 600 mg of ibuprofen and it has helped.  I don't know if this is permanent.  We can change to another drug but they are all in the same class and have similar se's so I don't know if it will help.  Tell you doctor that there are others with the same diagnosis that have been talking Arimidex.  I know it's not a coincidence since I NEVER had any problems with them wrist before taking this stuff!

• ginasmimi
    ginasmimi Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2010
    Hi Girls,  I have been on Arimidex since 3/09.  In January 2010, I developed terrible thumb to wrist pain in my right hand.  Finally, in February I went to my GP and she ordered an Xray.  Of course, your first thoughts our bone cancer in your wrist??  Bones were clear and I was told to get an MRI for tendonitis.  I told my oncologist about it and she told me it was very unlikely it was from Arimidex because symptoms occur within months and not after a year. I am not one for reading the side effects of drugs, but Arimidex specifically states "wrist pain." After reading all these posts, somehow I feel the only people who know differently are the people who take Arimidex.  I was told to take a Motrin, wear a wrist brace and if all fails go for an injection.  Actually, the wrist brace hurts.  So, all has failed.  Just got my Mammo, all is well, going for a routine Pap and if all is well, I may deal with the wrist.  Hate to start too many "projects" at one time.Laughing
  • ginasmimi
    edited September 2010
    Hi Girls,  I have been on Arimidex since 3/09.  In 1/10, I developed thumb to wrist pain.  I toughed it out and in 2/10 I went to my GP for  my regular non-breast cancer check up and mentioned it to her. At this point I was sure I had bone cancer in my wrist??? She ordered an Xray and nothing showed up relating to bones, so she told me to see an ortho Dr.  I normally try not to read side effects related to drugs, but Arimidex specifically states "wrist pain."  I mentioned it to my oncologist and she told me it was very unlikely because most side effects occur within months of starting the drug, not a year later. She told me to bite the bullet and see an Ortho Dr and get an injection.  After reading all these posts, I feel  the only people who know differently are the people taking the drug.  Motrin seems to ease it a bit, a wrist brace hurts, and of course I am right handed so it is very difficult not to use your hand.  Just had my Mammo and all is wellSealed Tomorrow is my routine Pap, and if all is well down under, I think I will deal with the wrist.  I hate starting to my "projects' at the same time.
  • Marinasaba
    Marinasaba Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2010

I have also just received a diagnosis of De Quervain's tendonitis in my left wrist.  I finished radiation with a final boost in April after having serious troubles with carpal tunnel in both my hands that started and became aggravated during the entire radiation treatment.  The left breast surgery in October last year had taken out 13 healthy lymph nodes.  Tamoxifen started after radiation.  Carpal tunnel symptoms seemed to be diminishing this summer leaving only numbness in my left ring finger and mild numbness in my left middle finger.  August another kind of wrist pain started in both wrists.  Mild symptoms in my right wrist and increasingly severe symptoms in my left.  I never took  Arimidex so I suspect this has more to do with the hormonal changes brought on by menopause (inflamation) and the lymphatic volume changes due to the lymph node removal.  I was offered a steroid shot in the left wrist and physical therapy treatment.  Monday I start with the physical therapy.

• Kendrasue
    Kendrasue Member Posts: 107
    edited September 2010

Dearest friends, it's been a long time since I've been back to the forums.  I only caught the title of this thread out of the corner of my eye, while looking for the right place to find help with my own new issue.  But I'm so glad I found you, because I want to tell you Arimidex (no doubt in my mind) engendered deQuervains in me, as well.  It was Hell. But, I found a solution!  I took the advice of an angel on this forum, who answered when I wrote my own plea in desperation, that I should begin taking Vitamin B6 every day.  One 50-gram unit pill (no more than that) each day.  She told me it would take time, but I WOULD get better. She was correct.  I got better.  I can't begin to tell you the nightmare I was living until I got this advice, and began the B6.  So I share this now with you.  Please consider (research first and check with your physicians if you wish) taking Vitamin B6 to gradually cure the deQuervains.  It took me many months, so you must be patient.  If I remember correctly, the woman on the forum said it took her many months, as well.   However, a second thing that I believe played into my beginning to feel relief was:  I told my oncologist I wanted to be supervised while I went off Arimidex for a short period of time, to determine its connection to the hand/wrist torture.  She refused, I very strongly insisted, she finally agreed, and after 2 weeks off Arim, I began to feel slight relief!   That's all I needed to know.  I was left with the decision then to switch from Arim to Aromisin, I decided to stay with Arim rather than go into untested waters with something new.  When I returned to Arim after being off for two to three weeks, and began taking Vitamin B6 daily, I began to feel slightly better, slowly.   When I was all better, I continued taking Vitamin B6.  I finished my 5 years on Arim last November, and quite frankly, I'm still taking the B6.  I don't ever want a hint of what happened to my hand/wrist to reappear.  My endocrinologist advised me that the 50-unit per day dose daily is very safe.  I take a multi vitamin as well, which also has some B6 in it, and have been advised the total is also a safe dose.  I so hope my post helps even one of you.  xo, Kendra

• Marinasaba
    Marinasaba Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2010

Dear Kendra,

I went to the physical therapist and was recommended to purchase a wrist support that had cured de Quervain's in the therapist who was treating me.  He stressed that I needed a pull on, and not a wrap around, recommending a size medium.  He gave me the following website for ordering:

http://www.pattersonmedical.com/app.aspx?cmd=get_product&id=101398

It's cost me around $30, but it has been helping and not paining me.  I am also taking the daily dose of 50 mg of vitamin B6 you recommended.  Between the two of these I am feeling a lot better.  I will keep you all posted.  Thanks for all the help!!!!  Marina

• ginasmimi
    edited October 2010

Marinasaba  Glad you're doing better.  Which pull on brace did you purchase?  Thanks

• Kendrasue
    Kendrasue Member Posts: 107
    edited October 2010

Hi Marinasaba,

I'm so glad you're feeling a lot better.  I wish I had a wise mentor like your physical therapist when I was suffering, because I was prescribed the wrap around style of wrist brace, and I awoke in the middle of the night crying out in pain from it.  Perhaps a pull-on style would have given me some relief, before I discovered B6.  It will just be a matter of time until you feel completely better!

• betsb
    betsb Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2011

I started Arimidex Mar 2010.  I developed trigger finger in April and required a cortisone injection.  4 weeks ago I was diagnosed with Dequervains tenosynovitis.  I saw a physical therapist and am now wearing splints on both hands - I also sleep with them.  Painful to soap up in the shower, painful to wipe when I have to use the bathroom (gross, I know - but these are the realities), etc.  I just had a cortisone shot in each wrist which they say will take a few days to work  - I hope it does.  I will try the B6 that was recommended here and the pull on wrist supports. I'm wondering if it is the Arimidex connection, or perhaps the radiation treatment I got or just the plain old breast cancer.  So much that went on in the body that I'm not sure how it all plays out together.  The orthopedist doesn't think there is a connect to Arimidex, and my oncologist knows of 1 trigger finger case with Arimidex.  Any cases reported with Tamoxifen?  Anxious to hear.

• karen1956
    edited January 2011

AI's are known to cause tendonitis....I developed CTS on Arimidex and dequervanes on Aromasin. 

• aussieched
    aussieched Member Posts: 87
    edited January 2011

I am on Femara.  I have suffered painful joints etc in just about all parts of my body over the last 3 years since commencing Femara.  It seems that it is normally 1 body part at a time acting up.  It lasts for about 6 months, gets better, then another body part starts to get sore.

I did have tendonitis in my right wrist and arm, and do have lymphodema in my left arm and 30 glands taken out, so it must be the femara as the tendonitis was in my good normal arm, and also not my dominant arm.  I strapped my arm and wrist for about 6 mnths and the pain resolved. The only other contributing factor would be the lack of estrogen from the oophorectomy that I also had.

ched

• REKoz
    REKoz Member Posts: 164
    edited January 2011

Hi ladies-

Just thought I'd share my experience, especially since betsb asked about Tamoxifen. I was diagnosed to the month of being officially declared postmenopausal (exactly 1 year without a period). I did have some tendinitis issues in both hands pre diagnosis. It worsened during chemo but began to improve once I finished. But then I went on Aromasin and aside from the pain, my hands were virtually non functional. Every joint in my body hurt, the only "lady part" I had left atrophied so badly that it too became non functional. To put it bluntly, there was no way in hell I was going to live out my life feeling so awful.

The Onc was in total agreement that this drug was far too unkind to me...one who has tolerated any drug I have ever taken without suffering side effects. I've been on Tamoxifen a year next month and am happy to report that I now feel just as I did before bc (albeit a few lbs heavier.) I have experienced zero side effects that I can determine. Being that the tumor was 90% ER & PR + as well as HER2+, it was quite important to me to treat with anti hormonals. The efficacy of the AL's over Tamox. in post menopausal women is slightly better. However, the difference is quite minimal. When I considered that I am early stage with very good odds, it made the decision to put me out of my misery and make that switch a lot easier.

Wishing you all the very best!

• betsb
    betsb Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2011

Thank you all for responding.  I hope you know how this helps so many.

• slinky
    slinky Member Posts: 166
    edited January 2012

I was on Aromisin for two months and every joint in my body hurt.  Both shoulders, arms, wrists and hands hurt and there was numbness and tingling.  I had tennis elbow on my strong side bc, but now I have tendonitis on both sides.  I am sure it is from the Aromisin, because I have not done any exercises or activities on my arms.  I stopped the Aromisin a week ago and the tingling and numbness have really decreased.  I am going to get some cortisone shots and go back on Tamoxifen. 

Aromisin was a bad drug for me.  Same with Arimidex and Femara.  The only drug that wasn't too bad is Tamoxifen.

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited January 2012

I have developed what I believe is dequervain's tendonitis in my left wrist. My hand felt absolutely fine until shortly after I began taking anastrozole in October.  I do embroidery, but I did the same amount before I started anastrozole and never had the wrist problem until now.  I had trigger thumb in 2007.  The cortisone shots helped for a while, but eventually I needed surgery.  Somehow, I feel that is where I am headed again.  It still beats a recurrence of BC.

• karen1956
    edited January 2012

I developed CTS on Arimidex...then deQuervanes tendonitis on Aromoasin....cortisone shots didn't work....ended up with surgery on both wrists....no longer on AI's.   oops....just saw that I already posted this when the thread was first posted, but I'll leave anyways for the "newbies" checking in

• dianaleo
    dianaleo Member Posts: 18
    edited February 2012

I was dx in 2009 with MBC and have been on Arimidex, faslodex, and aromasin.(now on xeloda)  I have had terrible wrist pain (both wrists) for 6 mos.  Two (one local and one from Johns Hopkins) oncs didn't know why - went to one rheumatologist, did all the tests, had a very high ANA and she dx as possible Lupus but said she could do nothing for me and said I should see hand surgeon but never recommended anyone - just left me on my own.    Went to top rheum in NYC who dx it as periostitis hypertrophic ostearthropathy from my BC and sent me to hand surgeon who today did cortisone shots and dx it as dequervian's disease.  I hope I am finally on the right track.  What amazes me is that I found this post where so many women have it from als and it has taken this long for the right dx.for me and these doctors are no slouches.  The drs. need to connect to BC.org  

• Jaytee
    Jaytee Member Posts: 738
    edited February 2012

I am so glad I saw this post tonight.  I also have been dx with deQuervains tendonitis.

I have been taking femara since last summer but I also was doing some work that required repetitive hand movements at Christmas time so I had myself convinced that that was what caused it----even though I have done that type of work at Christmas for years and never had a problem before.   I am only experiencing it  on one wrist.  It is the wrist on my surgery side.  Did anyone who got the cortisone shot have any lymphadema issues afterward?   Have been worried about that.  So far I have been trying to ice my wrist occasionally and have been wearing a wrap around wrist brace.  Will check out the link for the pull on type---thank you Marinasaba for sharing that.  Will also try the B6---thank you Kendra for that info.   

• gentianviolet
    gentianviolet Member Posts: 105
    edited February 2012

Dianaleo and Jaytee

When I was on Arimidex I had no SE's for the first three months.........thought I was home free.  Within that 3rd month I developed tendonitis in my right ankle and it became so bad that I had to quit playing tennis (I love that game).  By the time I got to month 5, I was limping.  At month number 6 I told my onc. that I would no longer take it.  He put me on tamoxifen and it got a little better but still did not resolve, at least I only limped some of the time.  It is hard to feel healthy, or look healthy, or even feel like you can move beyond a breast cancer diagnosis when you limp.  But about 2 months ago I did try B6 (200 mg/day) and have since reduced it to 100 mg/day.  Well, something is working because I am back at the gym and have even thought about going back to tennis.  Hope it's not the placebo effect.

• Jaytee
    Jaytee Member Posts: 738
    edited February 2012

That is encouraging gentian!      Hope you'll be back on the tennis court soon.  I tell myself that I have to endure some of these Se's to keep fighting this dang bc, but what I would give for a nice day of normal again.

• dianaleo
    edited February 2012

My surgeon fitted me for the folding type.  They were a little stiff at first but now are helping a lot.  I understand that certain splints are not good for certain conditions so I would make sure your doctor approves of what you get.  I had the pull-on kind I had purchased myself, but that supported my wrist more than my thumb which I understand is the real problem.  Mine were fitted in his office and covered by insurance.  I look very pathetic with my two big. black splints, but they feel wonderful. I am to wear them off and on throughout the day and not wear them at night.

I am very encouraged by all your stories and hope that this too will pass.

• beau
    beau Member Posts: 149
    edited February 2012

HI All,

I have been on Arimidex a year now (yeah!), but just recently developed pain in my thumb joint near my wrist. Very glad (is a wierd way) that I am not alone with this problem. Thank you for starting this thread! I will hang in there and hope that it passes soon. I do wear wrist splints and have modified my diet, do exercise, etc to try to cut down on the inflammation in all my joints, but this still flared up.

Best to All, Beau 

• Dilly
    Dilly Member Posts: 394
    edited February 2012

Well, add me to the thumb bump. I'll be talking with my pcp & onc soon. I'm old enough it could be arthritis but I have great hands and have never had any problems before. 

The bump first appeared [relatively small] a couple months after I started Arimidex - say winter 2010, but it stabilized and wasn't real painful so I really didn't bother about it.  [Onc had told me Arimidex se symptoms often manifests in hands.] OK, not too bad.  I've stuck with TEVA brand all this time, but pharmacy didn't have it last time and gave me SUN which I started about six weeks ago. My wrists & hands have been numbing ever since - not really bad, but certainly noticible. Now the thumb bump is much bigger, and numbing sensation more widespread.

My question is, which manufacturing brand are you ladies using? Could this have something to do with the brands of generics in their process or their inert ingredients?

• dianaleo
    edited February 2012

I had the same bump appear seemingly overight on my wrist after about a year on arimidex -(brand name-not generic).  My onc said it was a bone spur - no big deal.  It didn't hurt until both wrists became swollen and inflamed.  Hand surgeon said it is not a bone spur, but rather a thickening of the tendon.  Honestly, do I need this?  The cortisone shots and splints are already beginning to make a difference.  Pain has gone from an 8 to a 3.  Yeah!

• Sukiann
    edited February 2012

Hi there. I'm the organ poster on this subject. Here is an update: I've now been on arimidex for 2 1/2 years. At the 2 year mark I noticed that the joint pain and swelling has basically disappeared. A few things are have changed, 1. I got the shot for my wrist. 2. I started taking tumeric for inflammation. 3. I've been on arimidex for a couple of years and drs say that your body takes time to get used to it.

I say, try the tumeric. Do a google on it. You will find that it helps with inflammation and cancer prevention. I swear by it!