We are 164,650 members in 80 forums discussing 129,265 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During and After → Topic: Generic Arimidex costs

Topic: Generic Arimidex costs

Forum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During and After — Risks and benefits, side effects, and costs of anti-estrogen medications.

Posted on: Jul 3, 2010 11:27AM

Medigal wrote:

I was thrilled to read that Arimidex has gone generic this week since I have taken it for over 5 years. I am now on my second 5 year term so the cost is important to me.  However, I have a weird concern now.  I called a lot of my local drug stores to see if they got the Anastrozole 1 mg in yet and some had but others are still waiting.  What I am concerned about is that I was quoted over $300 for 30 if the stores are using certain brands and one brand was just $19.95 for 30.  I should have been thrilled but since this is an anti-cancer drug, I have to make sure the one I purchase is of the same high quality as the Astra Zeneca which I have been taking.

Does anyone on here know if a company can take "short cuts" with a drug once our FDA qualifies it for making the generic?  I can't afford to risk my life on a cheaper drug which may not give me the same help as the others.  I would just like some opinions of those who are taking Arimidex as to whether or not you would risk the $19.95 manufacturer's drug.  It is an international company known for generics and I have used their drugs before with my mail-order pharmacy but the difference in price is concerning.  Thanks for any advice or info you can provide.

Page 1 of 6 (170 results)

Posts 1 - 30 (170 total)

Jul 3, 2010 12:49PM otter wrote:

Medigal, would you mind sending me a private message and revealing the drug companies and prices?  I don't know if you are comfortable posting that info here; but a $280 price differential is too huge to ignore.  Personally, I would be very concerned about that cheaper price.

I don't know yet what the full price of the generic will be at my pharmacy.  My pharmacist told me that it isn't likely to be much less than what AstraZeneca has been charging for the brand-name drug.  So, the $300 quotes you've been getting for 30 pills sound about right.

That much cheaper price would concern me, too.  I'm wondering which company that is.

(P.S.-- reply to this note if you don't know how to send a private message. It's really easy, and it's anonymous 'cause you just use your BCO screen name like you do when posting here.)

Dx 2008, IDC, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jul 3, 2010 01:30PM Medigal wrote:

I don't know how to do the private thing so I am just going to post the name here.  I spent all day researching the 11 companies which have the FDA ok and that is why I asked the pharmacies which company they were using.  I recognized some of the names like Mylan, AAP, TEVA, Sandoz etc and decided I did not want to use the one called Accord since it seems to be in India.  Only my personal preference.  My pharmacies prices were mainly for Accord, Mylan, and TEVA.  Accord and Mylan were closer to the brand prices but yesterday I got a call from one of my local pharmacies and the man said his price for 30 pills of Anastrozole was $19.99.  I was amazed and asked him which company that was for and he said TEVA.  

I decided not to purchase the drug at that price until I can get some answers to alleviate my concerns.  I have already sent off an email to TEVA to try to find out how they can afford to sell their drug so cheap. I doubt I will get any useful answers from them.  I know the local pharmacy which quoted me the price usually gives good discounts for drugs but this one was a whopper! 

All the other pharmacies which had the higher prices agreed with your pharmacist who said that the generic price will not likely be much cheaper than the brand for a few months until there is more competition in the market.  I am hoping the eleven companies who already have been given the approval from the FDA for the generic will help bring the competition sooner.  I am going to call more pharmacies and see if I can find more who are using TEVA and what they are charging for the TEVA product.  That way I can find out if the lower price is coming from TEVA or the local pharmacy which quoted me the cost.  I have got to make sure I am getting a quality product since this is my life in the balance.  I also would like to know if you or anyone else in this group has gotten price quotes for the TEVA product and if they were as cheap as the one I got.  Thanks for the reply and your input.

Jul 3, 2010 03:30PM - edited Jul 3, 2010 03:33PM by kira

Here is a list from the FDA of all the companies approved to market the generic:

June 29, 2010

• Anastrozole Tablets, Accord Healthcare, Inc., USA, Approval
  • Anastrozole Tablets, Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories, Ltd., Approval
  • Anastrozole Tablets, Natco Pharma Ltd., Approval
  • Anastrozole Tablets, Roxane Laboratories, Inc., Approval
  • Anastrozole Tablets, Sandoz Inc., Approval
  • Anastrozole Tablets, Stason Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Approval
  • Anastrozole Tablets, Synthon Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Approval
  • Anastrozole Tablets, TEVA Pharmaceuticals USA, Approval
  • Anastrozole Tablets, Three Rivers Pharmaceuticals, LLC, Approval
  • Anastrozole Tablets, Watson Laboratories, Inc., Approval
  • Anastrozole Tablets, Zydus Pharmaceuticals USA, Inc., Approval

I had always been told that the FDA allows a 20% variance in the bioequivalence, but they say they don't

From Wikepedia, sorry it was the best reference I could find:

Ensuring bioequivalence

Most nations require generic drug manufacturers to prove that their formulation exhibits bioequivalence to the innovator product.[16][17][18][19][19][20][21] In the U.S., the FDA must approve generic drugs just as innovator drugs must be approved.[citation needed] The FDA requires the bioequivalence of the generic product to be between 80% and 125% of that of the innovator product.[22]

This value range is part of a statistical calculation and does not mean that FDA lets generic drugs differ from the brand name counterpart by up to 25 percent. FDA recently evaluated 2,070 human studies conducted between 1996 and 2007. These studies compared the absorption of brand name and generic drugs into a person's body. These studies were submitted to FDA to support approval of generics. The average difference in absorption into the body between the generic and the brand name was 3.5 percent and is comparable to differencies between two different batches of a brand drug [23][24]

Hope this helps. I'd been hearing it wouldn't go generic until 2012, so I'm glad it came on the market sooner. Hope the price falls and the quality is as promised.

Knowledge is the antidote to fear, Ralph Waldo Emerson Dx 5/10/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 3, 2010 06:51PM otter wrote:

Here are 2 more companies to add to kira's list:  Fresenius Kabi Oncology and Mylan.  That brings the total to 13 (so far).

This FDA website shows all 13 of the approved manufacturers.  Note that some of the press releases include a company called "Breckenridge Pharmaceuticals", but they're not on the FDA list.  That's because Breckenridge contracted with another company -- Natco Pharma Ltd. -- and Natco is manufacturing the drug.  Apparently it's being sold by Breckenridge here in the U.S.

FDA-approved generic versions of anastrozole (Drugs@FDA)

The pricing issue is really interesting.  I'd love to hear more quotes from other people.

Dx 2008, IDC, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jul 3, 2010 07:35PM Medigal wrote:

I think this is justifiable that after people like myself paying thousands a year for Arimidex and being thrown early in the year into the Medicare Donut hole due to high drug costs, we have a group here of knowledgeable and kind folks willing to help one another make sure this time we get the best price for the generic.  Since many of the pharmacies I checked have stores in probably most of our different cities, it might be helpful for you to know what they are quoting me and what brands the quotes are for.

CVS Pharmacies I called in my city were all using Mylan and quoting $366.99 for 30 pills.

Krogers was quoting $388.49 for 30 pills and using Accord.

Rite Aid quoted $204.00 (w/a $50.00 coupon they give) for 30 pills and using Accord also.

Walgreens said they had not received their generics yet so I didn't get a price.

K-Marts also told me they did not get their generic for Arimidex yet .Walmarts had same answer.

I would be interested to know if you get the same quotes for the same pharmacies in your cities. It seems only one independent pharmacy I called was using TEVA.  I will call Target Pharmacy tomorrow to see if they use TEVA.  Since TEVA's cost is so much lower, I find it irritating that more pharmacies are not using it. I think they use whatever their corporate offices select.

I feel less concerned in using TEVA after reading the informative replies here.  I just would like to find another pharmacy locally that uses them so I can have a price comparison before purchasing.

Thank you all for your information, advice and help in this matter. 

Jul 4, 2010 10:13AM ferretmom wrote:

I asked my local Walmart to fill my 90 day RX on Friday. They said *no generic available* When I told them it was just approved, they checked the computer. Yes, but special order, and no clue the cost. I will find out on Tues when it should be in. Odd that they have to actually order/fill the RX before they know a price.

Dx 1/2010, ILC, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 2/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jul 4, 2010 10:16AM pj12 wrote:

please let us know how much it is. thanks!

"Nobody told me there'd be days like this ~ Strange days, Indeed. " John Lennon................... Treatment: Lumpectomy, 36 Radiation, Arimidex, now Tamoxifen Dx 3/3/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 4, 2010 10:29AM Sue-61 wrote:

This is all very interestting. I am waiting to check on line at my insurance company. Imagine no prices are posted over the holiday wk end as the only drug listed there was arimidex, not the generic.

What great information you ladies have gotten! I want to be sure you know how much I appreciate it, Sue

"Always maintain a kind of summer even in the middle of winter"~~~~~ Henry David Thoreau

Jul 4, 2010 08:12PM karen1956 wrote:

I agree with Sunflower....TEVA is reputable company...many of the Rx I take are generic and are manufacured by TEVA.....I stopped taking Aromasin in March after 3 1/2 years on AI's....the I started out on Arimidex and made the rounds on all the AI's and tamox....I told my onc, if I went back on an AI, I would try Arimidex again....Our Rx plan requires us to use mail order for any maintenance meds.....so that would be the route I would have to go....I guess the mail order pharmacy would decide if it is name brand or generic....I have one copay for generic and another for name brand....

Karen in Denver, Dx 02/03/2006, ILC, stage IIIa, ER/PR+, HER2-, Surgery 3/1/2006 Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 3/22/2006 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 7/27/2006 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Surgery 10/19/2006 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 7/27/2007 Arimidex (anastrozole), Aromasin (exemestane), Femara (letrozole), Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jul 5, 2010 07:15AM rreynolds1 wrote:

CVS has the genetic in stock.  With my insurance discount it will cost approx $200 instead of $340.  Without insurance discount, it will be $366.  I have a high deductable plan with an HSA savings so until I reach $5,000, I have to pay for it at the discounted amount.  Fortunately, I can afford this drug but many women will still be unable to afford Arimidex.  What's wron with this country?!

Roseann Dx 2/2/2009, ILC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jul 5, 2010 10:19AM Medigal wrote:

RR, There is a LOT wrong with this country and I have spent YEARS complaining to my useless senators about it but the only good that has come out recently is that the FDA did approve that "gold" they call Arimidex for the generic.  Thank goodness this is an election year!!  I'll tell you what I tell them.  If you are rich or poor in this country they take care of you but the MIDDLECLASS (I think folks like ourselves) get the shaft everytime!  The poor have lots of programs to get Arimidex for free or practically free but people in the "middleclass" unfortunately fall into that financial hole where they don't qualify so we must pay the exhorbitant costs for those who can't. 

Your quote for CVS the $366 was what I was quoted since I am in the donut ("Mud hole") already. What gripes me is that if TEVA is making a quality generic for Arimidex and willing to sell it for so much cheaper, why aren't those greedy pharmacies in our country buying the TEVA drug and offering it to us to give us a break?  I have sent an email off to TEVA but I doubt if they will reply. I have tried for days calling tons of local pharmacies in my city but can't find any other but that one pharmacy using TEVA.  Folks in this group have written that they feel TEVA makes quality drugs and I have used many TEVA drugs through my mail pharmacy without problem but yet my retail pharmacies that I have called seem to be using the more expensive companies.  It's all about money, honey!  My opinion is that they think our insurances will pay for most of the cost and they are either too dumb or don't take into consideration that many like myself fall into the donut hole early every year and must pay full cost for the drug.  You are lucky you can get it for the $200. You must not have hit the "hole" yet.  

BTW, nothing against poor people.  They deserve to be helped, in my opinion especially in this economy with such great job lost.  I'm glad there are programs for them but many middleclass folks may be using a lot of their income to help family members who don't have jobs or have a lot of other medical bills which eat up that great over the line income which keeps them from getting help too.  I just want the system to be "fair" to ALL of us!

Jul 5, 2010 02:59PM Medigal wrote:

Sunflowers, I think you are going to be disappointed with the price at Costco's if they are any thing like Sam's Club.  Sam's Club will have it in two days but says their price for 30 pills will be $282.84. They do not know which brand it will be but at that price it can't be TEVA.  I am so disappointed that only ONE local pharmacy in my city is using TEVA at a fraction of the other's costs.  I hope to go pick a 90 day supply up tomorrow.  I had to confirm the price since it was so much cheaper than all the others. 

Costco doesn't even have their generic for Arimidex yet but I have a feeling it won't be TEVA.  I will call next week just for the heck of it just to see if Costco cares more than the others about giving us the best  price.  BTW, my mail pharmacy had no idea when they would get the generic so they would fill it in the brand if I used them.  That would be about $1200 for 90!!  Here's hoping everything works out for me tomorrow and I get my RX for the quoted price.

Jul 5, 2010 06:24PM Medigal wrote:

Sunflowers, I hope Costco comes through for you!  If I were still Catholic I would do a "Novena" for you!Smile  But prayers you will certainly get!  Isn't it weird that we have to "pray" for affordable prices on our meds?  I don't think Costco can beat the TEVA price I am getting for my 90 pills.  It's almost too good to be true so if there is a "kinker" with this drugstore, I will just know I can always fall back on Costco when they get theirs. Good going that you brought it to their attention.  You have probably helped a lot of other customers who will be needing it too now that they are getting it.  Thanks!

Jul 6, 2010 11:58AM Medigal wrote:

I tried to get them to tell me but they won't.  This is just a one store pharmacy and they usually give better prices on all drugs to get business.  I don't think you would have one in your city.  I called TEVA earlier and asked them if they could tell me which drug suppliers in our area had their generic but they won't tell either.  They all seem to have taken some vow of secrecy!  I am determined to find a way into their "secret" conclave even if I have to get a job working for them! (Just kidding, my job days are over!)  However, TEVA did say that in about a week their generic will be available to any pharmacy who wants it so I guess the secret is to try to do what you so smartly did and ask them to order the TEVA.  If they refuse, don't do business with them.  I am heading off now to see if my pharmacy will keep their word and sell me the generic for what they quoted me.  I decided to get 90 at that price!  I also have to get Crestor but NO ONE sells that cheap either.  If they don't give me the cheap Anastozole, I will cancel the Crestor.  We have to have "some" power on our side these days.  Here's hoping I have good luck with my pharmacy and you get yours real cheap at Costco tomorrow.  

Jul 6, 2010 12:23PM - edited Jul 6, 2010 12:24PM by OneBadBoob

Without having read this entire thread, I must say I would never knowingly purchase a product from TEVA.

Many dogs/cats have died from some of the generic drugs they have made for anesthesia (sp?).  If I would not give it to my dog, I would not take it myself!!

Generic is not identical, it is "substantially equivalent."

There is a reason why these drugs are so much cheaper than the brand name.

Jane - Dance as if no one is watching!! Dx 7/7/2007, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 6, 2010 01:16PM thegoodfight wrote:

Hmmmmmm, this is why I may ask my onc to rewrite my rx and stipulate brand name only.  I am still very lucky with insurance and although I will now have to pay more if I want Arimidex it is still doable.  So far on my mail order site they are now posting under $60 for 90 days of Arimidex and $10 for whatever generic they will be supplying.  Before the generic I was paying just $20 for 90 day supply of Arimidex.  It might be worth another $200 annually to stick with the name brand.  I'll keep you posted.  Don't need a refill right now.

Dx 7/14/2008, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 6, 2010 01:24PM coonie wrote:

I think I will continue getting my Arimidex from Canada. It's the REAL thing but half the price. I've got 2 years behind me, so only 3 more to goUndecided My insurance doesn't cover anything for meds. I often wonder that I sure could take an enormous vacation with all the $$$ I've spent on medication the past 2 years. Of course, if I weren't taking the meds, I might not be alive to take that vacation.Tongue out Hugs to everyone!!
Chemo: (4 AC) (4 Taxol); 1 Year Herceptin; Bilat. Mast.; Ooph; Last Arimidex Pill 5/31/13 Dx 11/14/2007, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jul 6, 2010 03:24PM Medigal wrote:

Well I have returned with my TEVA generic in hand.  I got 90 pills for only $46.46!  As for the poster who seems to have a fear of cheap generics, I did to.  But I did a LOT of research on TEVA and the other generic brands and they all had good and bad things in their history.  However, TEVA is trusting it's future on making a lot of money with Anastrozole and I don't think they will get caught ending up with a bad cancer drug.  It is one of the top generic makers and I don't think it will risk it's reputation and future on giving us an unsafe drug, in my opinion.  I think it is cheaper because they want to get the customers before all the other competition hits the markets.  I have been taking other TEVA drugs through my mail pharmacy and have never had a problem.  I have had other drugs recalled and they were made by some of your top known brands. 

If generics are so bad for us, why does my insurance keep pounding away at me to switch to all generics?   Because of the high cost of the Astra Zeneca drugs I take like Arimidex and Crestor, every year I ended up in the donut hole and paying full price for ALL my drugs!  I got to pay the copay for them for about one time and the rest of the year I was chucking out thousands of dollars for my drugs due to the donut hole.  If you are not in the donut hole and only have to pay the copay for your Arimidex brand then you are in a different ballpark than I am.  One thing you may have to be concerned about is that once all the insurance companies know Arimidex is in a generic they may find some way to penalize you for making them pay over a thousand dollars for your drug when it could be $46.46.    Whatever, I am a happy camper tonight!  

OH! Wait, I almost forgot to reply to Coonie.  I called AstraZ about getting my Arimidex from Canada and was told it was illegal to do so.  They also told me that even though it is made in an AstraZ factory, they don't have to follow the same quality rules so I might be getting an inferior drug.  So if you think it is the REAL thing just because it is in an AZ bottle etc. you might want to have a talk with AZ.  In my opinion, THEY definitely don't want Americans buying their Arimidex from Canada from what I got from their conversation with me.   Maybe it's all scare tactics or maybe AZ can sell it cheaper in Canada because they really don't have to make it the same quality as we get in the US,  My conversation with them scared me off of Canadian drugs.   

Jul 6, 2010 04:21PM coonie wrote:

Hi Medigal

I think you're absolutely right that AZ doesn't want us getting it cheaper if we can. However, my husband did alot of research on getting Arimidex from Canada before we actually did it. I also sent my senator a letter and received a response back that he quotes: "you may be pleased to know that I recently passed an amendment to the Homeland Security appropriations bill that is now law allowing Americans to bring in cheaper prescription drugs from Canada without customs and border agents seizing them.  American consumers should have access to prescription drugs without the barriers of high prices."

I was glad to see that when my Arimidex arrived it was in the original Arimidex box in blister packs and the pill is the exact pill I've been getting here at my local pharmacy. I just didn't want to take any chances to I made sure to look that little baby over real good.  I was getting Arimidex here at $400 for 30 pills. My script from Canada is $430 for 84 pills. So, it's definitely saving me a little.

Hope this helps a little.....

Chemo: (4 AC) (4 Taxol); 1 Year Herceptin; Bilat. Mast.; Ooph; Last Arimidex Pill 5/31/13 Dx 11/14/2007, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jul 6, 2010 04:47PM NativeMainer wrote:

As a Maine native I have known about the Canadian drug cost difference for years.  One of the "marketing" things Maine docs often use is "dual licensure" meaning they are licensed to prescribe drugs in both the US and Canada.  The drugs in Canada are exactly the same thing we get here in the states,the only difference is that the Canadian government negotiates drug prices with each drug company.  Meds in Canada cost the same no matter where you are in the country, and filling a prescription from a legally licensed doc is perfectly legal.  Many Maine elders take day trip bus trips to Canada for their meds, pay duty on the way back into the US and still are way ahead financially. 

"Bioavailability" was mentioned early on in this thread and I just wanted to add a note here about that-- the FDA approval of drugs in the US includes a percentage variation of active ingredient or bioavailabilty in all drugs.  The average amount of avialable active drug in each pill of a batch of a drug has to be within a stated range--usually 20% to 30%.  In other words, in my bottle of Arimidex with the AZ seal still intact, each pill will have slightly different amount of drug, some as low as 0.8 mg, some as high as 1.2 mg (assuming a 20% allowance).  Average all the actual doses in the bottle and it will come out pretty darn close to 1.0 mg.  

I know it's kind of scary to think that every pill is not an exact replica of every other pill in the bottle, but neither are our bodies.  If that 1 mg dose is good for me at 232 pounds (before recon, not sure what I weigh right now), and it's good for my friend who weighs 90 pounds soaking wet, then what difference is 0.8mg or 1.2 mg make if the average is 1 mg?  

dx 3/07, Stage 2, Grade 2 IDC, 2.8cm, ER+PR+, Her2(-), SN-, lumpectomy & rads, mastectomy 8/15/08, right prophy mast and bilateral DIEP recon 6/21/10 Dx 3/9/2007, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/15/2007 Lumpectomy: Right Surgery 3/29/2007 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 4/10/2007 Breast Hormonal Therapy 10/5/2007 Hormonal Therapy 4/25/2008 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 8/15/2008 Mastectomy: Left Surgery 6/21/2010 Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap

Jul 6, 2010 07:57PM molly52 wrote:

Coonie, just wondering about your Arimidex from Canada.  I live in Canada and I pay about $500 for 90 days.  Each blister pack comes with 15 pills.  Your mail order price is less than mine, and the number of pills are less than mine.  The only variable should be the pharmasists fee.  The $500 I pay includes $12 for the pharmasist.  I am wondering if you are really getting the Canadian product.  Even on a per pill basis - I am paying $5.60 per pill while you are paying $5.12 per pill.

If you don't mind, could you please tell me what Canadian online pharmacy are you using?

Jul 6, 2010 08:14PM - edited Jul 7, 2010 09:27AM by coonie

Hi Molly---

here's the pharmacy information from where I ordered:

... here's a little more information my husband just sent me.

http://www.affordabledrugs.com/ (this is where we ordered mine)I just wanted to EDIT and warn that Molly tried this website and it says the site was not safe. So PLEASE PLEASE be careful clicking on the site. It comes up fine for me, but it may cause others some problems. JUST BE CAREFUL!!

Phone# 1-800-887-6890

Fax # 1-800 281-1789

Also, he said this website as some good information:

Good luck :)

Also, I'll post a pic of how my Arimidex is packaged:

There are 28 tablets (calendar pack) and my doctor wrote me a 90 day script. So I got 84 pills for $430.

cellphone029.jpg picture by mydriene

Jul 6, 2010 11:22PM - edited Jul 7, 2010 07:54PM by molly52

Hi Coonie,

I tried going to that site and got a warning the site was not safe - phishing, credit card, privacy, pharmacy scam, etc.The website is described as an online generic pharmacy.  It also says the server location is in the US.

Anything for sale in Canada must have both English and French. The DIN is 0224135. On the Back of the box the address for AstraZeneca is 1004 Middlegate Road, Mississauga.  Yours seems different - perhaps it was made in a different country - like the UK or Australia, but it doesn't look like the Canadian product.

Jul 7, 2010 09:21AM - edited Jul 7, 2010 09:37AM by coonie

hmmmmm Molly. Maybe if you just try calling the tollfree number. I sure wouldn't want someone's computer to get a virus or something. But I clicked on the site and it came up fine.....weird.

Also, this is what's printed on my Arimidex box.

Manufactured by AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP, Newark, Delaware 19702, USA for AstraZeneca UK Limited Macclesfield Cheshire, SK10 2NA United Kingdom.

The label that is stuck to my box says:

Universal Drug Services Ltd.

5B 851 Lagimodiere Blvd, Winnipeg, MB, R2J 3K4

I'm kinda confused now.....lol. but it does look like the real thing, or at least the exact same thing I was getting here in the US.

EDIT: I just read this paragraph on the paperwork that came with my prescription:

Thank you for placing your order with us. The medications contained in this package have been shipped to you from our international prescription fulfillment center in Europe. We want to acknowledge that you expressed consent was obtained in order to allow us to send your medications from our international fulfillment center prior to our dispensing of this product. All medications that we carry and dispense through our international prescription fulfillment center are of the highest quality and are obtained from duly licensed wholesalers, distributers or direct from manufacturers themselves.

Maybe this answers a few questions (like mine) hehe

Jul 7, 2010 11:28AM deerone wrote:

That is just awesome, sunflowers!! Once the pharmacy opens here, I will be on the phone to my "local" COSTCO to see what they have to say.

Jul 7, 2010 11:29AM coonie wrote:

Great Sunflowers!!

I just called Walmart and they have it too--------but get this!!!

$330.46 for 30 pills!!!!! What in the WORLD is going on??Undecided

Jul 7, 2010 11:47AM Medigal wrote:

Wow! Sunflowers!  Costco is the place to go!  Your price beats mine.  I am so happy for you.  I got mine from an independent drugstore in Kentucky.  No other pharmacy here would order the TEVA. They all insisted they had to take whatever brand their corporate office sends them.  I called Costco this morning and this guy in pharmacy said he just got off the phone with his wholesaler and he is getting his generic in tomorrow.  He won't know the brand or the price until then.  I have a feeling it won't be TEVA.  I can't get them to special order TEVA for me like you did.  Maybe they just like you betterSmile.   I will call my Costco tomorrow to check what brand they get in.  If they match your price and use TEVA, I will get a new RX and use it for my next order at Costco.

Prayers do work but we must always remember the old saying "God Helps those who Help Themselves".  You did what it took to get the prayers answered and I am SO happy for you and all those other bc survivors who can now get their pills at such a low price.  Good going!!

Jul 7, 2010 11:59AM coonie wrote:

Great information!!!!

We sistahs gotta stick together!!

I agree about the SE's. It will be interesting to see if everything stays the same!

Jul 7, 2010 02:33PM thegoodfight wrote:

I just spoke to my mail order pharmacy (Medco) and the generic they are using is manufactured by Breckenridge.........................anyone got info on that.  I spoke to the pharmacist and she said I should not be concerned since the active ingredient is the same and has to be approved by the FDA.  She also told me that my auto refill in a couple of weeks will automatically roll over to the generic.  If I want to stick with brand I need onc to write a new rx, stating no substitutions.  I will check with onc's office about their preference since I am lucky in that cost is not the deciding factor.  I can either get the generic for $10 for 90 day supply or namebrand for $55 for 90 day supply.  I realize I am very lucky, I have choices.  Just don't know which way to go.  I am so happy for all those who were paying such high prices that a generic is now available.  But for me I now have to make another decision.  But thank goodness, now hopefully everyone who needs this drug can afford it and not have to do without or cut in half or whatever.  That was making me crazy.

Dx 7/14/2008, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 8, 2010 09:00AM ferretmom wrote:

My cost for generic Arimidex at my local Walmart

90 day supply, $18.

Dx 1/2010, ILC, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 2/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Page 1 of 6 (170 results)